E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
Prewired for CD Changer and Nav?

On the back of my trunk, there is a label that say's my car is prewired for the OEM factory CD changer and NAV. I was wondering it it says that does that mean I can simply just buy the units and plug it in without having to gut my interiors and run wires through it? I want to upgrade my radio unit to maybe an OEM nav for a clean look but the problem is I look at the DIY and it requires me to fold down my rear seats which I unfortunately cannot do!
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
willb

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
Co-ask, in my case, the label in my trunk only say pre-wired for cd, can I assume Alpine s634 will work fine?
willb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
On the back of my trunk, there is a label that say's my car is prewired for the OEM factory CD changer and NAV. I was wondering it it says that does that mean I can simply just buy the units and plug it in without having to gut my interiors and run wires through it? I want to upgrade my radio unit to maybe an OEM nav for a clean look but the problem is I look at the DIY and it requires me to fold down my rear seats which I unfortunately cannot do!
You're prewired for a CD Changer, NAV will require a retrofit harness and other pieces to work correctly.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
VF-x

My Ride: 2001 330i
Where in the trunk does it state that your car is pre-wired? I'm interested in putting in the DICE ipod adapter. I don't have a CD changer currently.

Thanks
VF-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-x View Post
Where in the trunk does it state that your car is pre-wired? I'm interested in putting in the DICE ipod adapter. I don't have a CD changer currently.

Thanks
All US bound e46 models are prewired, I have yet to see a Canadian model without CD Changer prewiring. I do know that the Canadian models sometimes did not come with telephone prewiring, so it may be possible.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
E46Marine

My Ride: 99 323I
My car didnt say it was prewired for a cd changer but when I checked, it most certainly was. Check my signature. I also bought the CD changer enclosure and bracket kit from Bavariant autosport to give it that factory look. The wire should be folded up behind the left trunk lining.
MY 323I MODS-19 INCH ARMANI GENESIS STAGGERED, ANGEL EYES, TINT, ADDED WOODGRAIN, ADDED CD CHANGER, ADDED 3 SPOKE MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL, XENON INTERIOR LIGHTS, AMPLIFIER AND SUB, CLEARS (WITH REAR LEDs) AND THE LIST CONTS....
E46Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
curious_george

My Ride: '02 325i ZSP
Where does it say that it was prewired for NAV? That is interesting. Mine has these little round tabs/badges on the interior edge of the trunk lid that say it is prewired for CD Changer, Phone, and Alarm.
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
Where does it say that it was prewired for NAV? That is interesting. Mine has these little round tabs/badges on the interior edge of the trunk lid that say it is prewired for CD Changer, Phone, and Alarm.
No e46 is "prewired for NAV". There is a specific retrofit harness available and the necessary componets are needed.

Check this thread for more details on what is involved: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=203145
Old 06-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
VF-x

My Ride: 2001 330i
Thanks for the info. I took a look and there is a bundle of wiring/cabling behind the carpet on the driver side. Is this the cabling for the CD changer?

Thanks.
VF-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
oh yeah my mistake it doesnt say prewired for nav. Tom is it possible to retrofit a harness without fold down rear seats?
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
oh yeah my mistake it doesnt say prewired for nav. Tom is it possible to retrofit a harness without fold down rear seats?
Absolutely, the seat option holds no bearing on qualification.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
E46Marine

My Ride: 99 323I
You need to order these from Bavarian autosport for that OEM look:

CD Changer Trunk Trim - for cars WITHOUT split fold rear seat
Part # : 51 47 8 266 561
Shipping Exception $ 74.95
............................................................ ...............................................
(click to see more) CD Changer Bracket Kit - Without Cover - for cars without navigation system
only for original BMW CD ... more info...
Part # : 82 11 1 470 436 $ 49.95
............................................................ ...............................................
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
MY 323I MODS-19 INCH ARMANI GENESIS STAGGERED, ANGEL EYES, TINT, ADDED WOODGRAIN, ADDED CD CHANGER, ADDED 3 SPOKE MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL, XENON INTERIOR LIGHTS, AMPLIFIER AND SUB, CLEARS (WITH REAR LEDs) AND THE LIST CONTS....
E46Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
coolmellowdude

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
No e46 is "prewired for NAV". There is a specific retrofit harness available and the necessary componets are needed.

Check this thread for more details on what is involved: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=203145
Is the above statement TRUE? "No E46 is "Prewired for NAV?"

My 2004 BMW 325i is labeled on the inner trunk lid -"Prewired for NAV." The car has the Premium Package with Business CD Radio, has Emergency Call Assistance, and Steering wheel controls.

I would like to upgrade to have NAV, and was told I only needed to purchase the NAV Computer, NAV DVD, NAV Monitor, and Climate Control Relocation frame. I don't need to purchase any harness or run any cables.
coolmellowdude is offline   Reply With Quote