E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Spatola

My Ride: None
Cabrio VS Coupe difference?

Hello All:

Is the Cabrio M3 E46 a lot slower than the Coupe M3 E46? I plan on getting an M3 E46, but as a daily driver. I probably won't go on the track with it. But, I'm just that type of person that wants the best performance they can get, (at least stock-wise)... So I ask to the people that've driven both - is it a big difference power wise? Feel?

Thanks
Spatola is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
MySoccerM3

My Ride: 2005 M3
There is a significant difference in performance between the M3 vert and the coupe. 306 lbs is a lot of weight for a car with just 266 lbs of torque that reaches peak horsepower at 7900 rpms. I'm not saying the vert is not a blast to drive, because it is. But, I can readily feel if I have 306 lbs of passengers in my coupe. Both a great cars, it just depends on what you want, i.e. max performance or open air. You can't go wrong with either IMO.

EXTERIOR: CF splitter/diffuser, black grills, AE, painted markers/license plate frame, monochrome, fog light delete INTERIOR: Aluminum SMG paddles, shift knob, peddles OTHER: MS elbow/filter, RPI scoops, AA tune, JVT headers, 200 cell metallic cats, Borla muffler, TMS pulleys, Koni yellows, Vogtland springs, 15f/12r spacers, Powerflex RTAB, Treehouse FCAB, black zinc rotors, mini battery.
MySoccerM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
i have a cabrio, there is A LOT of difference, for example, the creaks you might hear with wind leaks and if your unlucky water leaks with rain etc. those things you wont experience with a coupe. back windows on coupes go outward laterally, and the windows on the vert actually go fully down. the coupe has a stiffer chassis than the vert, but the subframe in BMW's attempt to be as stiff as the coupe they added some reinforcements, hence the added weight, but on a good note that also contributed to the subframe not cracking on verts. i am saving up to buy a hardtop then, best of both worlds =]. so its really up to you, a little decrease in performance was worth it for me, since im not really into tracking or racing my car.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Spatola

My Ride: None
Thanks for the replies.
Spatola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatola View Post
Hello All:

Is the Cabrio M3 E46 a lot slower than the Coupe M3 E46? I plan on getting an M3 E46, but as a daily driver. I probably won't go on the track with it. But, I'm just that type of person that wants the best performance they can get, (at least stock-wise)... So I ask to the people that've driven both - is it a big difference power wise? Feel?

Thanks
The consensus is the vert is a half second slower than the coupe 0-60.

Go drive both. These cars don't make a lot of low end torque, so an extra 400 lbs makes a big difference unless you daily drive near redline.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The performance difference is barely noticeable at all unless you are on a track. Yes the convertible is about 350 lbs heavier. Yes, even with chassis stiffening added it loses some rigidity compared to the coupe. However, unless you are doing power launches on the street, the difference of a few tenths of a second to 60 mph or through the quarter mile is academic. With rare exceptions, your acceleration times will be limited by the speed of traffic around you and by the cost of replacing clutch plates, rear tires, and transmissions. Everything depends upon how you want to drive the car, and how each one feels to YOU. You need to drive both the coupe and the convertible to decide which one you prefer. Nobody else's opinion should matter to you. Also keep in mind that, if you add a sunroof to the coupe, you are adding weight where you least want it, and door seals, window seals, and sunroof sealing age and wear out just like convertible top sealing strips. They can easily be replaced. The canvas top itself can easily last more than 10 years.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Think about where you live first. If the weather is nice most of the time then go with the vert. It's a lot of fun. Top down, blasting through tunnels never gets old. I live in SoCal so I have the top down everyday except for winter. This last winter was actually warm so most days I put it down.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Race F1

My Ride: 05 M3 Vert & 07 530
The only time I wish I have a coupe rather than a vert is when my CCA friends go to a track day. BMWCCA doesn't allow verts in track events. However, there are many other clubs who would be happy to have you join. The rare times when wish I was on a track are far outnumbered by the days I enjoy with the top down! Yes, a little slower than the coupe, but still a fast car compared to anything else I've owned.
Race F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
NidMpoweR

My Ride: C230K
Vert is as heavy as a 2011 carbio s4 but without the extra torq. 3700lb with 280 torq is not a very fast car.
NidMpoweR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
If you are interested in stop light grands prix, save yourself the expense and maintenance issues with an e46 M3 and buy a used V8 Mustang or a Corvette. In this day and age 333 bhp is nothing spectacular, and 262 lbs/ft of torque isn't much either. Torque is predominantly a function of effective displacement (which is why forced induction helps so much), and there is no way that you are going to extract much more torque from a normally aspirated 3.2 litre engine than the M3 already has. Whether you drive a coupe or a convertible, your torque peak is at a lofty 4,700 rpm, and your power peak is at 7,900 rpm. This is a great recipe for highway acceleration, but not so good for the dragstrip. This is why, despite magazine test results that show the e46 M3 out-accelerating the Mustang GT from 0 to 60 mph, in the real world (where owners don't sidestep their clutches at 4,000 rpm for a perfect launch) the Mustang (which has substantially more torque at low rpms than does the M3) will win in a stoplight to stoplight contest.

The long and the short of it is that, while fractions of a second mean the difference between a win and a loss on the track, in real world driving they are meaningless. Drive the car, coupe or convertible, that you enjoy the most, and don't think that everybody has the same priorities, or pretend that one model is a supercar while the other is no faster than a Camry or Civic.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
SexiPYm3

My Ride: 03 M3
From my experiences, there is a big difference. I like to have fun on the highway and track. Stock for stock, I've seen verts car lengths behind from a roll. Once the vert is modded, thats a different story. Everyone talks about no one pushes the car to the point to be able to tell.... But everyone I know with an M3 has on plenty occasions had some highway fun with other M3s. So I'd say drive both and see for yourself. Granted you may not be able to really feel the different, but if you catch a coupe on the highway and you're in a vert, you will find out first hand.
SexiPYm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
I live in SoCal so I have the top down everyday except for winter.
Same here. Quarter-mile times notwithstanding, you can go weeks without ever putting the top up. Sweltering hot sunny day? All windows up, AC and hat on. 35-degree nighttime drive? Heat up all the way and windblocker raised (heated seats too if your car has them). When it's not a complete convertible it's like the biggest sunroof you can get.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
^^^^ don't forget sun block when it's a nice sunny day. You won't notice how burnt you'll get. Im pretty dark now.