E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Hazey82

My Ride: M3
M3 Competition Package info

I am after some info on the competition package that was available I believe on the 05/06 model?

- Was it only available with SMG or was manual an option
- What was the price premium over the std M3 when new and now 2nd hand
- How many units were available, ie Are they hard to come by
- What would one be expected to pay for one of these today and say in 1 years time?

There is currently an 05 in silver with 40,000km for $75,000

Cheers
Hazey82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Oz 330

My Ride: 2004 DYII M3 Vert
I think LSM3 bought one very recently, ask him.

My opinion is that asking price is far too high. It is at the end of the day an M3 with a few little changes, they where rare though, but not as rare as a csl...
Oz 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Yeah I think LSM3 will know this stuff. As far as I know, manual comp packages are almost impossible to find. So you'll most likely get SMG. Hard to tell what they're worth in 1 years time. At the end of the day, your car is only worth how much someone is willing to pay for one. Just like individual colours. If a potential buyer is deadset on your colour, then you're in luck!
ating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
LSM3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
I am after some info on the competition package that was available I believe on the 05/06 model?

- Was it only available with SMG or was manual an option
- What was the price premium over the std M3 when new and now 2nd hand
- How many units were available, ie Are they hard to come by
- What would one be expected to pay for one of these today and say in 1 years time?

Cheers
I have seen plenty of manual Competition Packages in the states (known as ZCP), but i have only seen SMG variants in Australia for sale.

Price premium, i am unsure of. I was under the impression that there was a standard amount of kit with competition packages, but my mate just bought a competition package that did not have full leather OR an armrest - either way, the price difference when new was probably not that significant to impact too much on the price of a 6+ year old car. It will come down to its condition and kilometres... maybe a slight premium on top for being a little bit special, but it appeals to the punters only.

They are not in abundance, i am unsure about unit numbers but there should be at least ONE for sale at any given time from what i have observed. I also notice that they are generally snapped up pretty quickly, although they appeal to a very specific market (the M3 enthusiast) as they don't generally come heavily optioned and have cruise control deleted.

I would say the hardest thing is coming across one that has been well looked after and is at the right price.

Hypothetical prices in a years time is hard to gauge. Some people have bought Competition Packages and used them as a daily (i.e - myself). Some people have bought them and treasured them, only using on weekends or special occasions - with low kilometres and immaculate paint (i.e. M3CS / TWD). So prices will vary between mid $50s all the way to $90K (there was one recently that had an individual interior and 3,000km that was around $90K iirc)

Perhaps if you gave a little more detail on the car you are looking at, we could comment more on whether the price of $75K is reasonable, but on face value it seems quite high. You'd definitely want that to be a BMW dealership vehicle with some other value adds included AND THEN you'd still be wanting $2K-$3k off that.

As a comparison, my mate just purchased an Imolarot 2005 E46 M3 Competition Package in vic, 5X,XXXkm and paid mid $50k for it. It was in good condition too (mechanically - body needs some detail love) and it is a one owner car.

I paid low $70s for mine, but it was from a BMW Dealership and i had quite a few value adds to the tune of $6,000. It is a 2006 model and had 40,000km

Hope this helps.

2006 CS M3 | ESS Tune : CSL SMG tune : Eisenmann Race : Eibach : Tekarbon
LSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
M3 CS

My Ride: Vienta Grande
Quote:

- Was it only available with SMG or was manual an option - both SMG and proper manual available, but rare as to find a manual, I've only seen 1 for sale (which wasn't that good) and I've only seen around 6-7 or for sale in the last 4 years

- What was the price premium over the std M3 when new and now 2nd hand - can't remember the brand new price premium in Australia, but in the US at the time (2005/06) it was a ZCP/CS/Competition Package was $5k option. So maybe around $15k or so more here (taking into account that AUD prices are almost 3 times higher than the US at that time). This is just an estimate though.

- How many units were available, ie Are they hard to come by - BMW Australia never released numbers. Yeah they are hard to come by, but as always a GOOD example is hard to come by.
- What would one be expected to pay for one of these today and say in 1 years time?Refer to Liam's post. The exact car that Liam bought was $115k almost 3 years ago. Mine was $110K 3 years ago. Hope that gives you an idea.

Cheers
The rarity is - the colour - Interlagos Blue which was only released for the CS.

Also CS features:
- CS Wheels (almost same as CSL wheels)
- CSL Brakes
- CSL Steering rack
- CSL M Track mode
- CSL Alcantara steering wheel/gear shift/hand brake
- Special milled interior trim
- Spring rates (sits slightly lower than a normal M3)
- Exhaust is slightly different (CA Automotive agree with me on this too) - could be walls but it sounds a bit different to other E46 M3s...

M3 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM3 View Post
I was under the impression that there was a standard amount of kit with competition packages, but my mate just bought a competition package that did not have full leather OR an armrest
I've seen a couple without full leather...in fact, I saw a red one for $110k 3 years back that had partial leather. I assumed they all had armrests too

Quote:
As a comparison, my mate just purchased an Imolarot 2005 E46 M3 Competition Package in vic, 5X,XXXkm and paid mid $50k for it. It was in good condition too (mechanically - body needs some detail love) and it is a one owner car.
Damn cheap!! There was a stat write off one re done for $55-60k in Sydney.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
LSM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 CS View Post

Damn cheap!! There was a stat write off one re done for $55-60k in Sydney.
I got excited when i saw that repairable write off CS. Amazing price and decent kays, but then saw the write off part of the sale wording and got real sad. Wouldn't be comfortable owning a vehicle with that history though.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
BMW //MPOWER

My Ride: Not much...
Yeah new the CS was $16k on top of the standard M3. So your'd only logically pay $3-5k more for one these days, on the assumption that everything else about the cars was identical.

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
BMW //MPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Hazey82

My Ride: M3
Thanks everyone and especially LSM3 & M3 CS. Yes this helps a lot

Ive decided if I am going to get an M3, for me it needs to have low k's and be in very good condition as I will keep it minimuim 5 years. The reason I'm thinking about the competition is it may just be an extra reason to hold onto a bit longer being special and all.

As mentioned the difficulty will be finding one at the right time that is well looked after so could just end up with an immaculate std M3.

The delema I have is I have a passion for performance cars having owned high powered FPV F6, 370z and recently sold my $47,000 Audi S3 as it wasnt doing it for me and decided to buy a car for under 20K and put the rest on the mortgage.

I bought myself a facelift 325ci M-Sport in manual and for the money I absolutly love it and I have to say one of the best cars I've owned..its made me want to upgrade to the M3. So thinking I could go without my fast cars has only lasted a couple months..lol

Options

1. Sell the 325ci, get a CHP lease for the remainder cost of an e46 M3
2. Sell the 325ci in a years time + savings + lease remaining cost of an e46 M3 COMPETITION (if i find one)
3. Keep the 325ci for 3 years then sell + Savings then in 2015 lease a 2010 e92 M3

The problem with 2) is the 325ci will lose value but I will make it up in savings. The problem with 3) is I have to wait 3 Years!!!
Hazey82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Competition packages are nice for the extra goodies. It's just what you consider "special". To me, I really wanted a white manual M3 - but could never find one They are so rare. I don't think anyone on this Aussie forum has one right? Let alone a white M3?
ating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
Competition packages are nice for the extra goodies. It's just what you consider "special". To me, I really wanted a white manual M3 - but could never find one They are so rare. I don't think anyone on this Aussie forum has one right? Let alone a white M3?
It is a compromise - losing the cruise control for M track mode. I spend a brief moment in a Comp pack and didn't notice any difference in anything other than the M track mode. it was awesome as with that on you could do a great launch and flat S5 gear change and it thump but not render the car useless like normal DSC does.

The Comp pack is such a confusing car to me. No extra engine performance, no light weight modification, arguably nicer wheels, m track mode and a quicker rack and they have taken out one of the features (cruise control) that make it a good all rounder car. They shouldn't have left it out and control it via the NAV.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
LSM3

Quote:

As mentioned the difficulty will be finding one at the right time that is well looked after so could just end up with an immaculate std M3.
EVERYTHING is for sale - so when you are ready, hit up me and M3CS to see if one of us will part with our cars

Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
LSM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
It is a compromise - losing the cruise control for M track mode. I spend a brief moment in a Comp pack and didn't notice any difference in anything other than the M track mode. it was awesome as with that on you could do a great launch and flat S5 gear change and it thump but not render the car useless like normal DSC does.

The Comp pack is such a confusing car to me. No extra engine performance, no light weight modification, arguably nicer wheels, m track mode and a quicker rack and they have taken out one of the features (cruise control) that make it a good all rounder car. They shouldn't have left it out and control it via the NAV.
I agree with you to a degree. Cruise control delete is a bit of a b1tch. The car is not lighter or faster. I do like the wheels and the bigger brakes - although i never exceeded the capability of standard M3 brakes on my Phoenix M3. I do, however, like the options it does have, and i like the individual appeal of it (colour/wheels/M-Track button/brakes).

When i decided i was buying another E46 M3, I wanted something slightly different - which meant i was either going to get a FULLY LOADED M3, or a Competition Package. There are too many poontangers out there selling M3s who say that their M3 is "FULLY LOADED", but only have HK, NAV and extended leather - which we all know is far from fully loaded.

So the only real point of difference that is readily available in the Australian E46 M3 market, is a Competition Package model. They are all later models as well which is a bonus.

So having owned a CS and a non-CS M3 - if i was given the opportunity to buy another M3, would i buy a CS - the answer would be, "Definitely".

Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
M3 CS

Quote:
EVERYTHING is for sale - so when you are ready, hit up me and M3CS to see if one of us will part with our cars
Liam....you sell out

Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Blow M3

My Ride: 325ci
Don't know how old this thread is but I owned an 06 Comp pack in the states. Got it brand new and it had NO leather, it was all that suede ****... as for the extras it takes quite a few of the things from the csl including a csl tune... cruise control was a minor compromise to me for what i got.. just my opinion
Blow M3 is offline   Reply With Quote