E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 202 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Cretster

My Ride: E90 320D
Ok cheers, that's useful to know.
Guess its just a case of patience then!

Probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming the drivers to support more dongles or just better Bluetooth support cannot just be 'retrofitted' after flashing somehow?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #22
bloody2k

My Ride: VW
Nice work.. Can't wait getting my new D99 within a couple of days.

Is it build on the newest rom from Dynavin or the old one?
bloody2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
Thanks its based off the latest release20111209 downloaded from Dynavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody2k View Post
Nice work.. Can't wait getting my new D99 within a couple of days.

Is it build on the newest rom from Dynavin or the old one?
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #24
NECTOP

My Ride: Audi A3 Sportback
m3evolution

Thanks for your release and for your job!
UI is really improved over stock Dynavin's and Froyo.
I notice some thing, I would like to share, if you don't mind:
1. Your release booting time is increased almost twice.
2. I didn't notice any improvement in WiFI sudden disconntecing bug, it's disconnects and then doesn't connect till I turn WiFi of and then on.
3. GPS TIme zone fixed now, it's really great.
4. Compatibility Mode is seems to be on, not off, because I work in some software navigation company and our software for android seems run on reduced, screen size with frame around.

I'll keep testing in a few days more, I really like it. Thanks again!
NECTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
crristic

My Ride: e46 320i
OK, so I did the install, the dynavin works like a charm and looks very neat, great job!!!

I had 2 issues though: one with the GPS fix - took 10 minutes for a lock; I solved it with root explorer by changing the country code in the relevant file. It now locks instantly.

The remaining issue is that I cannot connect to a wireless network, i.e. my iphone 4. I made some changes in RT2870STA.dat to reflect my country (Romania):

country region changed from 0 to 1
country code changed from US to RO

Before doing the above I was able to see the available networks but got disconnected after each connection attempt; now it's worse: says it's unable to search for wireless networks.

m3evolution, can you please tell me what you've changed in this file except the above 2 parameters?

Last edited by crristic; 03-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.
crristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #26
Defuse

My Ride: 02 M3
Just wanted to bounce in here and say thanks for releasing this. Having ROM's like this make the unit so much more diverse and powerful.
Defuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
Defuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretster View Post
Thanks but I already did that and got ripped off.

I followed the link for the Sabrent one on Amazon that someone else posted up a while back and bought one. The postage to the UK cost more than the bloody dongle itself, but what they sent me was a cheap generic Chinese one that doesn't work in the Dynavin (no surprise there as it's not the known working one).
I'm livid about it after they advertised Sabrent ones and I paid for that but got a worthless piece of crud instead. They've had a complaint but I don't expect anything to come of it.

I'll try to order one again but need to find somewhere that won't take the mickey on the postage to uk (not found them actually for sale here), and will actually send me what I've paid for instead of defrauding me.

Sorry if that's a bit ranty - it's not aimed at anyone here of course, am just venting.

I don't think this will be much use to you but I have gotten a bluetooth dongle to work so I can use the Torque app. I bought it at BestBuy and the brand is their own so I am not sure if it is available outside the US but it might be worth researching.

One thing to note is that while the BT dongle will talk to my OBD adapter it will not connect to my iPhone for whatever reason.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #28
Defuse

One thing I am running in to is the following

I have tried to change
Code:
persist.sys.timezone=America/Los_Angeles
to the following
Code:
persist.sys.timezone=America/Chicago
The file saves without error but when I restart the system I get a boot loop. Is there a way to modify that file before flashing so it is installed with the time zone specified?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #29
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Just installed the new ROM, top work man. Mines a D99 unit.

Ive tested x4 BT devices all of them work fine.

They originally were not working. I had updated to latest firmware on Dynavin website. They all worked subsequently.

I then put M3 Rev's former ROM version onto the unit they all still work.

And now updated to M3's latest ROM and they work still.

These are the devices that i tested (along with the Sabrent unit that i bought from Amazon in the US)

I had x2 lying around in work and x1 bought from EbayUK.

For those wishing to know which one on ebay it is this exact one. I have transferred images from a HTC Desire to the Android side using it.

Bluetooth Adaptor Ebay

Last edited by listermint; 03-19-2012 at 03:48 AM.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
Cretster

Thanks for the details mate - that should make it easier for me to get one of the ones that you've had working. Just ordered one of the ones you linked to on ebay. Have also found that logilink one easily enough and a trust one that has the same item number but looks like a newer version maybe.

When you say you copied pics to the "Dynavin side" do you mean not to Android, but into the actual radio/dvd side of the unit? What procedure did you use for that?
And if that's the case, isn't it possible it's not actually using the dongle you plugged in and is just using the parrot bluetooth module that's built in to the Dynavin Side?

It's the bluetooth Android connectivity that really is what I'm after so I can stream from phone to Android and so on.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #31
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretster View Post
Thanks for the details mate - that should make it easier for me to get one of the ones that you've had working. Just ordered one of the ones you linked to on ebay. Have also found that logilink one easily enough and a trust one that has the same item number but looks like a newer version maybe.

When you say you copied pics to the "Dynavin side" do you mean not to Android, but into the actual radio/dvd side of the unit? What procedure did you use for that?
And if that's the case, isn't it possible it's not actually using the dongle you plugged in and is just using the parrot bluetooth module that's built in to the Dynavin Side?

It's the bluetooth Android connectivity that really is what I'm after so I can stream from phone to Android and so on.

my bad, ive updated my post i meant Android side. Brain fart
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #32
Cretster

Heh heh - easy to do!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
crristic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crristic View Post

The remaining issue is that I cannot connect to a wireless network, i.e. my iphone 4. I made some changes in RT2870STA.dat to reflect my country (Romania):

country region changed from 0 to 1
country code changed from US to RO

Before doing the above I was able to see the available networks but got disconnected after each connection attempt; now it's worse: says it's unable to search for wireless networks.

m3evolution, can you please tell me what you've changed in this file except the above 2 parameters?
Bump for the above. I've been busting my brains the entire weekend to make the wifi work. Any help would be appreciated- i need to make it work for Europe-Romania. Otherwise I'll just have to go back to the crappy stock rom - the android side is 90% useless without an internet connection

Last edited by crristic; 03-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
NECTOP

My Ride: Audi A3 Sportback
crristic

I don't think this parameter is the reason why you experiencing such difficulties trying to connect to your iPhone.
I have my iPhone 4S connected to Dynavin and it's suddenly disconnects same way it does on stock ROM. I have only set up country in Settings. Try to set country region changed from 1 to 0
country code changed from RO to US
Check if it's working.

By the way. Maybe the problems with WiFi is WiFI adapter. Mine was from Dynavin. Maybe we can use other brand WiFI.

Also a question, Dynavin D99 has 3 USB ports, one GPS (it's porbabaly for WiFi) one for iPod and 3rd I can't remember for....

Witch port should i use for Bluetooth dongle? Should I purchase USB hub and insert WiFi and Bluetooth into it and plug it to USB-GPS in Dynavin?

Shall Dynavin D99 operate with other brand's WiFi, 3G USB modules?

Last edited by NECTOP; 03-19-2012 at 01:14 PM.
NECTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #35
m3evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by crristic View Post
Bump for the above. I've been busting my brains the entire weekend to make the wifi work. Any help would be appreciated- i need to make it work for Europe-Romania. Otherwise I'll just have to go back to the crappy stock rom - the android side is 90% useless without an internet connection
Here are all the settings options. Lots of people have problems connecting to iPhone for their wifi connection. I dont have an iPhone so I cant trouble shoot but you might want to try changing settings from infrastructure to adhoc to see if that makes a difference.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/files/README_STA.txt
Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #36
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuse View Post
One thing I am running in to is the following

I have tried to change
Code:
persist.sys.timezone=America/Los_Angeles
to the following
Code:
persist.sys.timezone=America/Chicago
The file saves without error but when I restart the system I get a boot loop. Is there a way to modify that file before flashing so it is installed with the time zone specified?
Hmmm, I was just about to do the same. Any input on this evo?
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
crristic. I imagine you're attempting to tether your iPhone4 to your Dynavin via WiFi. I'm not sure if those 2 parameters are going to change anything, but tethering probably won't work because most Phones use ad-hoc networking rather than infrastructure. The dynavin will only be able to see an infrastructure network.
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #38
m3evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety-9 SE-L View Post
Hmmm, I was just about to do the same. Any input on this evo?
probably the quickest way is to set up that file the way you like and then save it to sdcard. Then after reflashing you could just copy and past the file over from the sdcard to the system folder then reboot
Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
crristic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety-9 SE-L View Post
crristic. I imagine you're attempting to tether your iPhone4 to your Dynavin via WiFi. I'm not sure if those 2 parameters are going to change anything, but tethering probably won't work because most Phones use ad-hoc networking rather than infrastructure. The dynavin will only be able to see an infrastructure network.
Iphone 4 uses infrastructure as far as I know, there were a lot of folks mentioning problems with their droids because it uses ad-hoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3evolution View Post
Here are all the settings options. Lots of people have problems connecting to iPhone for their wifi connection. I dont have an iPhone so I cant trouble shoot but you might want to try changing settings from infrastructure to adhoc to see if that makes a difference.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/files/README_STA.txt
thanks for the file, I'll give it a shot these days. I think I've been tinkering too much with the settings - so worst case scenario I will do a rom reinstall.
I never had issues maintaining a good connection between the unit and my iphone 4; sometimes it did not connect instantly, but that was only if I wasn't activating the tethering option before entering the car - not really a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #40
Cretster

Would like to try tethering to my iphone (4s) but I foolishly upgraded to ios 5.1 and the jailbreak isn't out yet I don't think to enable me to run a personal hotspot via mywi (or whatever it is I used before).