E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 181 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #641
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedSoul View Post
m3evolution, can you answer one technical question regarding the sound on your Dynavin units. When in Android and not he dynavin overlay/launcher and using an amp like poweramp or similar. Does sound play through all the speakers or only the front?
From the Dynavin side, go to settings and turn off "nav sound".

From the desk of Dwight Schrute
Old 07-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #642
mladen666

My Ride: BMW E46
Only regardin R150 Rom

Before any of you tell me to read before asking I must say i have read all threads but things get a bit confusing. People have been using different ROMs (1.1, 1.2 2.1...ant etc) while addressing the same problems. I want to make one simple lists that is only related to M3Evo R150 ROM.

Please list adapters that work for it and maybe a link where to buy them from:

1. USB Hub

2. Bluetooth dongle

3. WiFi adapter

4. 3G modem

I know it has been asked before but everubody was using a different ROM and it is hard to follow. I believe the R150 is great work that most of us are using so let's comlpile this list once for all.
mladen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #643
mladen666

My Ride: BMW E46
3g Dongle

Can something like that be used instead of theathering the phone. This way you can have a dedicated internet sim in it and use wifi to connect Android.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-W...item43aef03df8
mladen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #644
kanebullen

My Ride: VW Golf Mk6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mladen666 View Post
Can something like that be used instead of theathering the phone. This way you can have a dedicated internet sim in it and use wifi to connect Android.
I have a hotspot (but mine doesn't require an external 3g usb dongle, as the one you have linked does), but I find that it's not great, as it requires you to ensure it's powered on beforehand.

I have a Dynavin 3g dongle, and am hoping that it'll eventually work, as I think it'll be the most reliable option.

Last edited by kanebullen; 07-23-2012 at 08:22 AM.
kanebullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #645
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboggy View Post
My sdcard slot is going bad, and it is not reading 80% of the time, so what I did, I'm using a USB thumb drive that is plugged into a USB hub along with the wifi adapter.

When it comes up, it fakes the sdcard.

Here are the steps:

Look at the sys/devices (/devices/platform/ehci-omap.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.1/) for the correct USB hub port, it will be something like 1.1 or 1.2 -2.1.... You can plug/unplug the usb thumb drive and see which folder shows up as the device ID type.

Once you figure it out, modify the vold.fstab under /etc/ folder via rroot explorer with RW access.

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/ehci-omap.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.1/

I have attached a jpeg for references, how I set up mine and it works 100%.

Shoot me an email with any questions.
I have this working now so thanks for your help pal, actually quite like it but I can't seem to get the Dynavin to see linux or EXT2 swap partitions that I create on my USB stick but everything works perfectly bar those 2 bits ie the usb stick fakes itself as an SD CARD and is always auto mounted

I find moving as many apps to the USB stick speeds the Dynavin up loads anyway so i'm happy out.

Does anyone know is it possible to remove apps like gmail, youtube and the default media player from the kernel?

I know they don't take up a lot of space but they are using space the Dynavin could be using for other things and I never use them anyway.

All I really use the Dynavin for is Poweramp, maps - google nav & Torque!
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #646
morningisbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
I have this working now so thanks for your help pal, actually quite like it but I can't seem to get the Dynavin to see linux or EXT2 swap partitions that I create on my USB stick but everything works perfectly bar those 2 bits ie the usb stick fakes itself as an SD CARD and is always auto mounted

I find moving as many apps to the USB stick speeds the Dynavin up loads anyway so i'm happy out.

Does anyone know is it possible to remove apps like gmail, youtube and the default media player from the kernel?

I know they don't take up a lot of space but they are using space the Dynavin could be using for other things and I never use them anyway.

All I really use the Dynavin for is Poweramp, maps - google nav & Torque!
Are you still able to use the sd card slot? I'd think it would still be good to have it for flashing.
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #647
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
Are you still able to use the sd card slot? I'd think it would still be good to have it for flashing.
Within the Android O/S? No... it can only support 1 x SD card therefore your SD card becomes retired.

Having said that my ROM got completely messed up while I first used the USB to SD card switch (for a different reason, I got the dreaded black screen!) so I re-inserted my SD card back in with R150 loaded and upon startup it booted from the actual SD card and reloaded the ROM for me so the Android boot sequence must be hard coded to boot from SD card which is perfect for me as the only thing I want to use the SD card for is for flashing - well actually as I stated before I wish I could get the linux swap partition to work from my USB stick but it's not the end of the world

Last edited by CTRob; 07-24-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #648
morningisbad

Quote:
Within the Dynavin O/S? No... it can only support 1 x SD card therefore your SD card becomes retired.

Having said that my ROM got completely messed up while I first used the USB to SD card switch (for a different reason, I got the dreaded black screen!) so I re-inserted my SD card back in with R150 loaded and upon startup it booted from the actual SD card and reloaded the ROM for me so the Android boot sequence must be hard coded to boot from SD card which is perfect for me as the only thing I want to use the SD card for is for flashing - well actually as I stated before I wish I could get the linux swap partition to work from my USB stick but it's not the end of the world
That actually makes a lot of sense. After I posted I thought about it a bit and remembered that the android OS is essentially running on an emulator. The emulator is going to take the SD card slot and flash from it no matter what android says. This works out perfectly for us because if we completely trash our android OS and we would typically be bricked, the emulator does a full wipe of the android vm and we're set to go
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #649
CTRob

Quote:
That actually makes a lot of sense. After I posted I thought about it a bit and remembered that the android OS is essentially running on an emulator. The emulator is going to take the SD card slot and flash from it no matter what android says. This works out perfectly for us because if we completely trash our android OS and we would typically be bricked, the emulator does a full wipe of the android vm and we're set to go
Yep i'm happy as larry now that I don't have to keep reaching for the USB stick everytime I start the car just to play music
Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #650
morningisbad

Quote:
Yep i'm happy as larry now that I don't have to keep reaching for the USB stick everytime I start the car just to play music
I've got a 90 GB SSD mounted in my glovebox specifically to hook up to my dynavin... I'll try to get it working as my 'sd card'... That would be perfect
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #651
CTRob

Quote:
I've got a 90 GB SSD mounted in my glovebox specifically to hook up to my dynavin... I'll try to get it working as my 'sd card'... That would be perfect
Actually that really would be ace, it would be interesting to see does the SSD speed up the read/write of the Dyanvin although my gut tells me the Dynavin operates and interfaces with USB devices at USB 1.0
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #652
morningisbad

Quote:
Actually that really would be ace, it would be interesting to see does the SSD speed up the read/write of the Dyanvin although my gut tells me the Dynavin operates and interfaces with USB devices at USB 1.0
I'll have to let you know. The SSD is rated to do 6gbps (500+MB/s) for both read and write, which is way faster than the sd card the comes with the dynavin (~10MB/s). But like you said, the speed limitation is going to be in the USB port on the dynavin.

One of the things I love about the dynavin is if I screw things up trying to do this, I can reflash in a few minutes. One thing I hate about my dynavin...I have to do this at all
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #653
mgdmb

My Ride: E39 M5
Any updates in the new hardware? Finally installed my D99; surprised how laggy the input is...

I think we're reasonably close; let's talk if you need help with cashish.

M
mgdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #654
242spot

My Ride: VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficu View Post
Hi
The parking sensors and aircon display you can't see because of your car's year model. Only from 2009 vw changed the canbus gateway and some other modules that send this information through the canbus system to the multimedia unit.
Related to the bluetooth until you have the right usb hub i don't think any bluetooth dongle will work. I tried with 3 bluetooth dongles and none of them worked until i connected them through the right hub. I use Belkin hub and with this hub all the bluetooth dongles work.

Hope this helps
Ficu,
Just to update this post.
I installed the later model air-con control panel and did a little wring modification. Now the air-con status displays on the screen.
Did a similar thing for the PDC upgraded it to OPS run some new CAN wiring. It's working audibly but not displaying. I have VAG Com for diagnostics and coding everything seems ok.
Seems that you new a bit about the VW, if you have any suggestions that would be great.
Cheers
242spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #655
ficu

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 242spot View Post
Ficu,
Just to update this post.
I installed the later model air-con control panel and did a little wring modification. Now the air-con status displays on the screen.
Did a similar thing for the PDC upgraded it to OPS run some new CAN wiring. It's working audibly but not displaying. I have VAG Com for diagnostics and coding everything seems ok.
Seems that you new a bit about the VW, if you have any suggestions that would be great.
Cheers
Hi

I am not an expert in VW so i can't really help you any further. An expert in VW might tell you more. Did you also changed the can gateway?
ficu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #656
morningisbad

Quote:
I'll have to let you know. The SSD is rated to do 6gbps (500+MB/s) for both read and write, which is way faster than the sd card the comes with the dynavin (~10MB/s). But like you said, the speed limitation is going to be in the USB port on the dynavin.

One of the things I love about the dynavin is if I screw things up trying to do this, I can reflash in a few minutes. One thing I hate about my dynavin...I have to do this at all
Got this configured today! Once I got it working, it works perfect! Also got it more permanently wired do it's out of sight. As far as performance, everything seems much snappier over an 8GB class 10 microSD. Plus, it's not bad having 90 gigs hooked up to the Dynavin!

From the desk of Dwight Schrute
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #657
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
So ive been travelling a good bit for the past 2 months, and the car has not been driven. Got around to installing all my bits on the 150 ROM yesterday. And it runs like a charm.

Crashes are gone, with poweramp it runs smooth. Colour scheme is superb and ive installed Sygic IRL/ UK and it does exactly what i want.

Excellent!!
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #658
UniQue84

My Ride: E46 330i
M3 are you still working on newer Roms? Whats about ginger or maybe ics?

Is there any 3g Adapter, working with the 150 Rom?

Chris
UniQue84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #659
UniQue84

My Ride: E46 330i

Chris
UniQue84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #660
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniQue84 View Post

Chris
2.3 or 4.0 will likely require a new kernel, and w/o touch screen drivers that's a no can do at leads for the moment.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Bimmer App

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote