E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #61
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3evolution View Post
Im not happy with the boot time either and currently working on a new rom that strips out everything down to the bare bones. Its boot time is a lil faster than the stock rom. But the extra speed come at a cost. My R1 rom is a complete full rom with Android Market, Gmail, Google Maps, etc all included in it.

This new one im gonna name it R1SS. Super Speed/Super Stripped.

- no google maps
- no android market
- no gmail
- no contacts
- no calendar
- no voice search
- no extra apps included
- no bootanimation
- v6 supercharger Activated and ready at first boot

I tested that Tasker_v1.1u2.apk verision that you linked to and it gave me the same problem giving out some weird dead code errors non stop. Try a different version or from a different source. Im currently using Tasker 1.2 without any problems.

Titianium backup gives me some trouble too but going to app manager and doing a force close and clear data to reset Titanium backup usually clears that up and working
I'd be happy if most of those apps were removed, I'm in between the idea of removing the google market. I don't personally use google market, or any apps that require an internet connection, but I think as a compromise, include the .apk for google market and google market updater. At the very least, the market will allow people to get things like navigation and maps back. For me, I would be fine installing everything I need by apk.

I'll see about Tasker 1.2, but I realized that both are a 14 day trial, and I need a buy code to unlock it. I haven't yet bothered to purchase the app, basically, all I want is for poweramp to start and come up immediately on boot.

I got Titanium backup to work fine, now. First time I tried to use it, it froze and Superuser froze.
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #62
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Yeah, I agree, remove as many apps as possible but leave market.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #63
Cretster

My Ride: E90 320D
Another agree from me as well about leaving it mostly stripped down. LOVE the idea of one like this.

Not remotely wanting to sound ungrateful at all, but there was a fair bit of stuff on the current M3 rom that I'm just not likely to use and if it was a choice between a rom with too much or too little, I'd always favour the lite version as it's very easy to add stuff that's missing if need be.
Agree on the market since presumably the vast majority of users would want that, and like the idea of the supercharger script being left in.

It should fly along like this!

Is there a benefit to including Kickass kernelizer as well or is that no help for us?
Whatever you end up doing anyway, I should reiterate that your work is very much appreciated, and goes a long way towards making this a better device. Thankyou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott183 View Post
I've yet to purchase one of these units, but here's an idea, excuse me if it sounds stupid. How about trying another bluetooth source, maybe a a friends phone. Could it possibly be the phone you are sending the signal from has a problem.
Scott - I think you've misunderstood the issue slightly. The issue isn't trying to speak to Android Dynavin with a particular device, but the problem is actually getting Android to accept that it actually has working bluetooth functionality itself (via a dongle) before we even attempt to connect to it via a phone etc. Not getting anywhere near trying that yet - or I'm not anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crristic View Post
You bought only one dongle.
Now seriously, try buying 4-5 cheap dongles from amazon or ebay, one of them will eventually work. That was my strategy and i got 1 out of 4 working.
I've tried 3 so far. One of which is confirmed as working on listermint's Dynavin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Cretser, I honestly dont know what the problem is, Is yours a D99? what model do you have?
No idea but am wondering if it is the Kernel as was mentioned before, and that despite us having the same model I think, if they were from different production runs perhaps they have a different android kernel to each other. I'd post which mine was using if I knew where the info was for this?
But mine is E90 D99 Android model anyway.

Last edited by Cretster; 03-22-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Cretster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #64
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
The problem with including Market is it requires Google Services Framework. GSF will cause all kind of force close trouble if say Gmail or Maps or Contacts was not installled on the system along with market. So if you want Market then the entire Google posse of apps has to come along as part of that pacakge. So thats where my rom is at right now its pretty much the least amount of apps possible to be stable with market included.

I personally dont use market or google maps etc. I only use PowerAmp and Sygic for Navigation. Ideally the perfect rom for me is instant on with no boot time wait and rock solid stability that works and does its thing everytime you need it. I dont need it to do a million things just a few core functions reliably.

Im considering installing a small 12v battery so the unit can go to sleep and come back on just like our cellphones do and have that battery auto recharge it whenever the car is running. Any of you guys have any ideas how to set something like this up? I think the battery can be bought at Radioshack for less than $50
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #65
bloody2k

My Ride: VW
Booting time 75 sec from turning the key to fully booted android, with R1.
And first boot with R1.1, was 85 sec.

Will see later how fast the R1.1 actually is
bloody2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #66
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
First boot after a flash will take awhile but boot time after that should be be around 35-45 seconds about the half the time it took to boot R1

Last edited by m3evolution; 03-22-2012 at 04:10 PM.
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #67
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Right il have to update see whats the difference, Definitely has to have market without doubt. Installing from apks all the time is just a pain in the arse.

Ive a paid version of poweramp because its simply the best music app out there. Just ordered a Sandisk Ultradisk today to see if it makes a difference in terms of access to the Micro SD.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #68
Cretster

Quote:
Im considering installing a small 12v battery so the unit can go to sleep and come back on just like our cellphones do and have that battery auto recharge it whenever the car is running. Any of you guys have any ideas how to set something like this up? I think the battery can be bought at Radioshack for less than $50
I'd raised a thread the other day suggesting that something to enable a standby mode would be fantastic, and I've some experience of at least the hardware side of what you describe.

What you're describing sounds like a split charging system which isolates the second battery when the engine is not running. I've used a system like this on a discovery for camping etc so I could have the head unit running for a long time without running the main battery flat.

When I've done this in the past it's been via a simple relay setup that's triggered by power from the alternator, although I'd have to check exactly which wires were used for a given model vehicle etc.

An alternative is to use something like the M1 ATX PSU that I have in my car PC in the legacy. You can vary the way it behaves in terms of its power delivery, but importantly it supplies voltage with ignition off, but monitors battery voltage, and shuts off if the voltage gets to the point where it might begin to affect engine starting etc. Something like this might avoid the need for a dedicated second battery.

But all that aside, how would you control the Android side of things? Specifically the act of the Dynavin going into 'standby' as opposed to turning itself off as it currently does, but without actually having it fully on and running normally as it were?

Probably haven't described that well, but I know what I mean!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #69
Cretster

Quote:
First boot after a flash will take awhile but boot time after that should be be around 35-45 seconds about the half the time it took to boot R1
That sounds awesome! Good work.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #70
Cretster

Just installed R1.1 and it definitely is quite a bit faster, which is great!

Was kind of surprised there was still what seems like a ton of apps in there, but to be fair I don't know what half of them do exactly so I can't really comment.

I've got one query about installed apps, which is that after installing a few, they don't all show on the apps screen for some reason.
I installed Astro file manager, and Power Amp, and neither seem available/visible anywhere despite apparently going in ok. Any idea what am I doing/not doing?

In terms of grovelly requests - would be at all possible to make the 'back' button in the top right corner bigger in future roms please? It's a relatively small icon to prod, that's all.

Like it though, and as I say, a lot faster than the previous one, thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #71
Defuse

My Ride: 02 M3
Much faster with the new ROM.

Defuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #72
bloody2k

My Ride: VW
How did you make the unit boot directly into android?
bloody2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #73
crristic

My Ride: e46 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody2k View Post
I would be interested in that too.
Ideally, the unit would boot directly into android and the music would pick up automatically where it left last time. Would that be possible?
crristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #74
listermint

Quote:
Quote:
Ideally, the unit would boot directly into android and the music would pick up automatically where it left last time. Would that be possible?
Yes this is unusual i notice you didnt select Nav button on boot.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #75
Defuse

My Ride: 02 M3
Quote:
The music won't pick up where it left off unless you pause playback before the device loses power. It will remember what song you were on though.

If you want it to boot in to Android automatically you just go to the radio side of the unit and set your input as "Aux". I haven't looked at the radio side since I first installed the unit.
Defuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #76
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuse View Post
The music won't pick up where it left off unless you pause playback before the device loses power. It will remember what song you were on though.

If you want it to boot in to Android automatically you just go to the radio side of the unit and set your input as "Aux". I haven't looked at the radio side since I first installed the unit.
Didnt know it did that, I had assumped it just keeps screen dark but Nav had to be selected at some stage.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #77
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
Quote:
The problem with including Market is it requires Google Services Framework. GSF will cause all kind of force close trouble if say Gmail or Maps or Contacts was not installled on the system along with market. So if you want Market then the entire Google posse of apps has to come along as part of that pacakge. So thats where my rom is at right now its pretty much the least amount of apps possible to be stable with market included.

I personally dont use market or google maps etc. I only use PowerAmp and Sygic for Navigation. Ideally the perfect rom for me is instant on with no boot time wait and rock solid stability that works and does its thing everytime you need it. I dont need it to do a million things just a few core functions reliably.

If that's the case, I would say we need 2 versions: 1 version with the google pack, one without. I'd be fine without, just so long as I have the apk installer. Both versions need to lose some apps, I also wouldn't be disappointed if we got rid of Go launcher EX. What would be cool is if we all start putting together our apk files, so that we can easily share the apps we're using. Post them in the top post.

I also use poweramp exclusively and I'm going to look into Sygic.

Far as standby mode...I don't know how complicated the standby mode would be, but I would imagine the following would be the situation. First of all, both boards get their power from the same source, which is controlled by the power button on the front of the unit. Both boards, and the screen turn on and off together. The first thing that must be done is to independently power the android board keeping everything else on the dynavin as is. Forget the independent battery, not much juice is drawn, all you need is to run a solid always-on lead from the car's electrical system (and possibly a 12V voltage regulator) to the android board.

Once more, everything else on the Dynavin remains as is. When the power button is pushed or the key is turned on/off, the dynavin board, screen, DVD player, etc will always turn on/off with. The android is the only thing that will remain powered. The android needs to be able to sense when the screen is powered on/off so that it can enter/exit standby mode (just like when you turn the screen off from your phone). As soon as the car is turned off, the dynavin/screen turn off, android sees that the screen is off and enters a low-power standby with all communications turned off.

Since the android is always powered by the car's battery, we need a way to restart android (from OS), shut down android (from OS), and physically cut power (like removing the battery in your phone). Considering how little power the android draws, running off the car battery, in standby, would not run you down, BUT, I think Android should have a failsafe. If Android is in standby for more than 48 hours, Android will shut itself down. When Android is shut down, turning the Dynavin/Monitor on (from the key) will start/boot the Android.

Quote:
As a note, when I think of boot time, I also consider the time it takes for Android to be completely functional. It may take about 40 seconds to get to the home screen, but it takes another 15-20 seconds before it's done opening apps, setting time, GPS, etc. THEN I can open poweramp.

Quote:
I've a paid version of poweramp because its simply the best music app out there. Just ordered a Sandisk Ultradisk today to see if it makes a difference in terms of access to the Micro SD.
Can you elaborate on what you're doing and what problem you're having with the MicroSD? So far I CANNOT get a MicroSD card larger than 4GB to mount. I've tried multiple format settings, particularly the settings mentioned in the development thread. I have 2 32GB cards and an 8GB card, all formatted in FAT32 containing music files and they are not recognized by Android. Android will give me 1 of 2 messages when I insert the 32GB cards: "Safe to remove SD Card" or "Checking SD card for Errors" <----and hangs there.

Quote:
I couldn't see the video from work, but this sounds interesting.
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #78
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
The google pack can be included as a separate .zip file to be installed. That's what most other Rom builders do since Google doesn't allow it to be built into some custom Roms for some reason.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #79
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes this is unusual i notice you didnt select Nav button on boot.
Quote:
Didnt know it did that, I had assumped it just keeps screen dark but Nav had to be selected at some stage.
Defuse has a D90 unit, the older units started up wherever they were when they were turned off, including the "nav". The D99s always start on radio side of the unit so they require you press the Nav button to get to android.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #80
listermint

Ahh I see. Makes sense