E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
BaDiNfLuEnCe

My Ride: 04 m3, 06 jeep srt8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
That car doesn't have the welds in the trunk reinforced. Once those welds separate, the mounts flex and tear badly. If the plates are welded underneath but the trunk welding is still damaged, the entire floor just keeps getting hammered. We have been highly suggesting everyone that has the reinforcement done at our shop to have the trunk reinforcement done in addition to the four mounts underneath the car. We have seen a few cars that were even worse than this. One was not salvageable because the welding labor would have been cost prohibitive. one of the worst cars that we repaired had the entire diff dragging on the ground with all four mounts completely torn out of the body.
I guess ill have to get the trunk done with you guys now to... Scary thoughts of this happening... But first i just need to fix my input shaft seal leaking for the time being... Kind of strapped for cash

[/IMG][/URL]
BaDiNfLuEnCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
Estoril-E46

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PRUV View Post
I went through this years ago. Brace it right so it never happens again

Something like this is the only fairly certain fix. Even with the "reinforcements" in the end it's just one little block held together at the two points of sheet metal, only afterward it's spaced over a little more area, but that increase is barely anything at the top.

www.Precision-Sport.com
Estoril-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
if this ever happened to my car i think a would cry, especially since my motor is pretty much stock.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
None of the subframe reinforcement kits on the market today reinforce the floor itself. This is a known problem with BMW E46 models and as the cars get up there in mileage and in power we will see continual problems. We are going to do a special reinforcement on the drag car to keep the rear end from literally tearing off.

We have also fixed some E46's that have come to us with that type of damage. It takes a lot more reinforcement.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 03-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
That car doesn't have the welds in the trunk reinforced. Once those welds separate, the mounts flex and tear badly. If the plates are welded underneath but the trunk welding is still damaged, the entire floor just keeps getting hammered. We have been highly suggesting everyone that has the reinforcement done at our shop to have the trunk reinforcement done in addition to the four mounts underneath the car. We have seen a few cars that were even worse than this. One was not salvageable because the welding labor would have been cost prohibitive. one of the worst cars that we repaired had the entire diff dragging on the ground with all four mounts completely torn out of the body.
The installation of my HPF subframe plates cost me almost 2k in labor because I told my welder to go way beyond the standard installation instructions. He went over all that trunk stitching and a lot more other areas too. I have to dig the photos out. They are buried somewhere.

I told him to go "crazy" for the overkill. I winced at the bill, but now the sting is well taken out of all the money I paid. . I didnt know. How could I? I just had this strong suspicion that the standard installation just would not be good enough for MY purposes. Now, I see it is not good enough for some other's as well. Oh, boy! My condolences to BattaM3

I am now wondering if I still need to do even MORE. I am showing the pics in this thread to my welder.

Last edited by Bdave; 03-14-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #26
basar13

My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI
Here are some other options ...

Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
DenaliXTC

My Ride: S/C M3, 745i, X5M
Send a message via AIM to DenaliXTC
Quote:

Im super happy I went to you guys to have this work done!! :thumb up:

I highly recommend MAX PSI to anyone!

Active Autowerkes Gen 7 Stage 2 | Evosport | Vorsteiner | DPE | Supersprint | Rogue Eng.
Brembo 6pot 355/4pot 345 | Dinan 3.91 | HKS | HPF | Custom GTR | Radar Mirror | Leatherz | Beemer Evolution

LSB/Cinn M3 490 RWHP superflow dyno
2011 X5 M White/Blk Vorsteiner
2005 CTS-V 549rwhp/524rwtq all motor
2013 JCW MINI Cooper hardloaded
DenaliXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
So if I understand it right, when you reinforce the subframe mount points it just moves the highest stress point outside to the trunk floor edge?
I'm just about to buy the HPF reinforcement kit but I'm nowhere near turbo M3 power levels so I hope I'll be ok.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
that looks serious right there.

Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Would a rear strut bar be helpful? Just curious.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #31
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
So if I understand it right, when you reinforce the subframe mount points it just moves the highest stress point outside to the trunk floor edge?
I'm just about to buy the HPF reinforcement kit but I'm nowhere near turbo M3 power levels so I hope I'll be ok.
this is what i asked before. If this kind of failure is exclusive to boosted M cars with ridiculous power. I cant imagine a regular ass car doing that much damage.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
Would a rear strut bar be helpful? Just curious.

Jim
By itself, not at all. A shock tower bar does nothing to redistribute the subframe loads.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 03-14-2012 at 02:24 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
this is what i asked before. If this kind of failure is exclusive to boosted M cars with ridiculous power. I cant imagine a regular ass car doing that much damage.
Rear subframe failures have been a problem for a long time. Obviously, the higher hp cars will be more prone to failure, but this is a far too common occurrence even in bone stock M3's. If you just commute back and forth to work, you're probably fine. If you like to find the twisty roads on the weekend, and drive it like it was meant to be driven, you may want to be pro-active and do some type of reinforcement.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
Snik
OEM ///Member

that failure where it rips out the entire floor. You guys have seen that on a unboosted car?
again we all understand that our cars have floor failure, but ive NEVER seen anything that insane.

Thats not your typical floor failure. Thats about what i call "fukin extreme"
Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #35
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
imagine how those people that glued in their reinforcement kits will feel when they see this.

this is terrible
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #36
basar13

My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI
I have bought solid subframe bushings but i didnt install due to fear of subframe failure. I am waiting for the reinforcement.

I will reinforce it like crazy and have no doubt about it ever... This will of course add weight to the car but at least it on rear and relatively low.

My car...

I will do reinforcement like this but i wont weld them to towers but to the tubes that are welded to chassis..

Like this hopefully (Excuse me for very poor illustration)

Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #37
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PRUV View Post
I went through this years ago. Brace it right so it never happens again

I was about to order the TMS reinforcement kit, but not now. Now I'll be doing it exactly like this.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
m3 guy

My Ride: 2001 e46 m3
For my reinforcement I followed this thread:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=86017

Maybe it will help you guys out. Here is the only pic I have of it:

*AST*Work*VRS*UUC*RE*Apex*Scorza*SS*Brembo*
m3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
wrecklessfool

My Ride: is paid off
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
that looks serious right there.

This is what I'm getting. Just got word it will arrive early next week. I'll be installing it with my new clutch and M3 rear end swap during the first week of April. Anyone in the Hampton Roads area of VA is welcome to check it out once complete.

I had the designer of this remove the "X" brace in the center, but the design is otherwise unchanged. It's made by a small company out of Cali called Mason Engineering.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #40
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
imagine how those people that glued in their reinforcement kits will feel when they see this.

this is terrible
I actually considered having that done...for about 2 seconds. I ended up spending a fortune on far more welding that usual. Now I am so glad. Glue...what was I even thinking? I know they have space age epoxies out there, but this is not a situation for that.