E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
Exclamation Pulleys / Tensioners Explained - But I Need Help !!! **1,400 miles trip *** PICS***

Hello Everyone

I am going on a trip to Arizona ( ASU ) in two weeks and i want to make sure my car is in tip top shape for 1400 miles. I need your help for my pulleys since they are running dry and making bad noises. i did a FULL cooling overhaul 2 months ago and everything went perfect so i doubt its waterpump . Except i ordered the wrong pulleys (which i still have in my room )

1- Here is the problem i got the pulley in the picture below which it turned out to be for hydraulic tensioner and i have a mechanical one for the main belt. my understanding is that i have to get a whole brand new mechanical tensioner since i can't just order the pulley itself. i however found a random pulley online which looks similar to the mechanical tensioner's pulley ( 2nd pic)

the one i ordered incorrectly

this is the one i think i needed for Mechanical pulley

2- i am confused which tensioner does my AC belt run on. i did not pay attention on this tensioner so it could be either of the 3 but i think it looked like the 2nd pic below. i have a 2004 330ci . which one should i get?

Mechanical

Not sure what this is called

hydraulic

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
HEY!!!!! I've got a mechanical tensioner for the serpentine belt, AND the A/C belt tensioner

Want to buy them? They're both unused because I bought the wrong parts for my car. I have a hydraulic tensioner and I accidentally bought an A/C tensioner for BMWs made after 9/2002.

They will both work on yours, and we live in the Bay Area, so no BS with paypal or shipping!

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Pedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
HEY!!!!! I've got a mechanical tensioner for the serpentine belt, AND the A/C belt tensioner

Want to buy them? They're both unused because I bought the wrong parts for my car. I have a hydraulic tensioner and I accidentally bought an A/C tensioner for BMWs made after 9/2002.

They will both work on yours, and we live in the Bay Area, so no BS with paypal or shipping!
lol which one do you have ? mechanical as the second or 3rd one from the bottom pics ? are they genuine bmw by any chance ?

and how much ? btw i have brand new Genuine BMW hydraulic pulley as well if you want it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
325inthe510

Both, I derped hard when I was ordering parts

The serpentine belt tensioner and the 1st A/C tensioner are daycos, the 2nd A/C tensioner is an INA

Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Pedi

Quote:
Both, I derped hard when I was ordering parts

The serpentine belt tensioner and the 1st A/C tensioner are daycos, the 2nd A/C tensioner is an INA

sorry man but i still don't get it. so do you have

and

and how much ?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
325inthe510

Yeah I do

Uhh $135 if you want all 3

$90 if you want 2

Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
sonnybobiche

My Ride: '99 323i
I replaced just the pulley on my mechanical tensioner with one I bought from Autozone. From what I recall, it was identical to the one in the second picture, and cost just under $30. It was sold under autozone's house brand, but labeled "Made In Germany," so obviously it's just rebranded bosch/lemforder/meyle/etc.
sonnybobiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Pedi

Quote:
Yeah I do

Uhh $135 if you want all 3

$90 if you want 2

I'll let you know after I researched a little more man . Thanks for your help I'll pm you
Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Pedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
I replaced just the pulley on my mechanical tensioner with one I bought from Autozone. From what I recall, it was identical to the one in the second picture, and cost just under $30. It was sold under autozone's house brand, but labeled "Made In Germany," so obviously it's just rebranded bosch/lemforder/meyle/etc.
I really appreciate your comment . This might do it for me . I'll look in to it
Old 03-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
325inthe510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedi View Post
I'll let you know after I researched a little more man . Thanks for your help I'll pm you
ok

Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
On my 2002 330, the a/c tensioner is mechanical and the main belt is hydraulic. My a/c tensioner pulley is like the second one you pictured. I believe you have to buy the unit new as a whole. ive never seen just the pulley itself. If anyone knows where to buy one, please let me know.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

Nevermind... i believe this would be it... seems this part by itself doesn't come up on real oem...

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...yco_89133.html

anyone know where else to buy it? any of our vendors?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, use advanced search for me as author, and keywords "89133 mechanical INA" I just searched again yesterday for someone and copied my post from over a year ago on this.

You can get just the pulley for the mechanical tensioner...Dayco pulleys from Autozone. The PNs are in one of the few threads that will come up if you search...just posted yesterday, so go there first.

HTH...it should.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #14
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Op,

I recommend that u should just replace your mechanical tensioner with the hydraulic. The retrofit is easy and only requires a few additional parts such as a longer bolt and a few misc washer and such.

I had a mechanical but swapped out for the hydraulic.

Your AC is always mechanical.

I hope this helps

sent from HTC EVO
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Another thread that can help you if you want to replace just the pullies: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=853345
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son

Thank you, D. I had never dealt with mechanical tensioners before. My 98 M3 had BOTH hydraulic tensioners. Why my 2002 E46 still had a mechanical on the AC is beyond me! When I did my cooling refresh, I wanted to replace my AC pulley but the mechanical pulley didn't fit. Strangely enough though, the pulley spinned perfectly and was actually very tight (felt new) I figure it has to do with that pulley being low to the ground and away from heat. It also does a very small job compared to the other two which get reamed with heat and pressure!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
325i'02

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
Another thread that can help you if you want to replace just the pullies: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=853345
OK, so here is something i have been looking for - the AC tensioner pulley. Does this mean that this pulley could be replaced? He is listing 89133 twice for the main and the AC tensioner. I remember a thread a few weeks back we were arguing if one can take the pulley off the mechanic AC tensioner and replace it.
Anyone?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

^lol the past 3 or 4 posts answer this

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
I can confirm that the Dayco 89133 pulley is an exact replacement for the pulleys on the E46 mechanical tensioners.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

GCoop, did you buy yours from autozone?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Tags
noise, pulley, tensioner