E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
I'm going to autozone to buy one today. I'm pretty sure i will work.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
GCoop, did you buy yours from autozone?
Amazon actually http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i03_details

Price has increased. Was around $18 back in the fall.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
thats too awesome. i'll have to pick one up.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
I picked 2 up from autozone !

I got 1 pulley ($29) and one mechanical tensioner for ($54) which of course comes with they pulley.

I will take the pulley off of the new tensioner and used both to replace the old pulleys and I just save the tensioner since I know the tensioner itself is fine.

I looked closer and it turns out they are made In Germany. They also come with 1 year warranty.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #25
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I just put this together because I want to answer your question between the different version of the AC tensioner. I just discovered there are two version of the AC mechanical tensior. One version is for all e46 up to AUG2002 and the other is for all e46 from AUG2002

Last edited by flashmeow; 03-14-2012 at 09:09 PM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedi View Post
I picked 2 up from autozone !

I got 1 pulley ($29) and one mechanical tensioner for ($54) which of course comes with they pulley.

I will take the pulley off of the new tensioner and used both to replace the old pulleys and I just save the tensioner since I know the tensioner itself is fine.

I looked closer and it turns out they are made In Germany. They also come with 1 year warranty.
did you spend $54 for autozone. If so I recommend you returning it and buy it from Pelican parts for the same price. Pelican sells the INA brand (which is the OES.OEM for the tensior)

I love autozone but only buy stuff (car parts) there if only it is OES/OEM
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #27
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Good find, flash. Looks like one uses torx and the other not. any other differences you know of??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Good find, flash. Looks like one uses torx and the other not. any other differences you know of??
old

The only thing I can think of is how it mounted to the engine

sent from HTC EVO
Old 03-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Dayco pullies are all marked INA...at least all three of mine were. You can order them from Autozone--I did--got a separate mech tension/hydraulic tensioner and idler pulley. All INA...all allowing the dustcap to fit as required (by me, anyway).

I've written this a few times...hope you guys will remember to pass it along so I don't have to.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I just put this together because I want to answer your question between the different version of the AC tensioner. I just discovered there are two version of the AC mechanical tensior. One version is for all e46 up to AUG2002 and the other is for all e46 from AUG2002

Nice comparison pics. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Dayco pullies are all marked INA...at least all three of mine were. You can order them from Autozone--I did--got a separate mech tension/hydraulic tensioner and idler pulley. All INA...all allowing the dustcap to fit as required (by me, anyway).

As always.. Good info. Thanks for sharing Doug.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #31
Zach1111

My Ride: 2001 330i Sedan
I replaced the pulley shown in the 2nd picture with the one in the first picture and its an odd match with the belt

The belt covers like 60% of the new tensioner which explains the notching im seeing in the belt goddamnit autozone. I thought it was just an weird but compatible design. ****ing great.
Zach1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, pulley, tensioner