E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #761
SlideFox

My Ride: A Bucket w/ 4-Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
If you watch the video of that pass closely you can see that they ran 9.39! We ran 9.35 !! LOL And they have mysteriously never been able to post the time slip...... hmmm
You mean this run??

http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...-34-video.html
Old 04-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #762
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
Larry your trap shoulda been a high 8s run. Too bad that black beast is retired. woulda loved to see it run with the twin 67s

MArcus, do you plan on sending your car back to AZ for additional work after Mfest or are you taking possession of it to enjoy for the time being?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #763
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideFox View Post
Yes, here is the video:

You can clearly see that it was a 9.39 but somehow they said it was 9.34 because we went 9.35.... and they lost the timeslip??

Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #764
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
So back to Marcus.... Congrats on finally getting the car running as it should!!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #765
SlideFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound performance View Post
which one? There are quite a few variations of the gt42r. Precision does sell gt42s as well as gt42 frame turbos with their billet wheels in them.
gt4294r
Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #766
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
gt4294r

Precision does sell it but for a few bucks more you can get the same frame turbo with a Precision billet 71wheel (GT4294 is a 70.3 mm cast style compressor wheel) that will out spool the 4294 and make a ton more HP!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #767
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Nice times Marcus! That trap is ! Did you make any passes behind the wheel?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #768
JR @ RS WORX
Sponsor

My Ride: a car
Looking good! I can't wait for my SAAD kit to come
JR @ RS WORX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #769
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
Has the rev limiter been raised?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #770
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
Has the rev limiter been raised?
Its possible. But they have not mentioned it, nor did it show up in the dyno sheets.
Every winning tuner is entitled to keep some secrets, too!

My question, should they want to share...
what is involved in fitting a 17 inch front wheel and skinny? What wheel, what tire? Do the Brembos have to be taken into consideration?
What about spacer mounts and or adapter mounts.
Doing this on a Corvette can be a big expensive deal with custom spacers and adapters. Some like to use the SPARE wheel off a Pontiac GTO...super light, cheep etc. But it needs all sorts of adapters and spacers.

They say running skinnies only picks up a very small amount of time...so what about running a normal 7 or 8 inch wide 17inch rim? The PROBLEM is finding BIAS PLY tires in the right size/ Bias plys are a niche tire.

Its not cheap to commit to run 16 inch Street ET's. I would love to see what all is involved. Taking care of the rear is just the start!

Marcus, do you mind?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #771
MrBlonde

My Ride: M Coupe
Quote:
Totally pedaling it out of the hole!!!
"Pedalling" means lifting throttle in reaction to wheelspin in gear and then reapplying throttle when resuming traction.

I think you mean it was a soft launch? The 60' time on the slip will show! It looked like a decent hit to me under antilag for the car's limitations (IRS, unibody, tiny radial tires).

See the E46F Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube.

Everything you need to know about Drag Racing your BMW street car
MrBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #772
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
"Pedalling" means lifting throttle in reaction to wheelspin in gear and then reapplying throttle when resuming traction.

I think you mean it was a soft launch? The 60' time on the slip will show! It looked like a decent hit to me under antilag for the car's limitations (IRS, unibody, tiny radial tires).
The car was not on tiny radials, but medium/large bias ply cheater slicks
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #773
SlideFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post

You can hear Saad letting of the throttle out of the hole. My assumption is he is trying to limit the stress on the driveshaft and rear end.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #774
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
Totally! Put the car on a better prepped track and low 10's/high 9's are there for sure
I disagree on both points.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #775
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
You can hear Saad letting of the throttle out of the hole. My assumption is he is trying to limit the stress on the driveshaft and rear end.
I disagree with this as well.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #776
SlideFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
And your thoughts are......
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #777
M3PTGSC

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
+1

If he let of the throttle car would bog down and launch would be messed up,what you hear is ProEFI traction control doing its job,I might be wrong but just my .02

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #778
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefox View Post
and your thoughts are......
way beyond my pay grade!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #779
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
And your thoughts are......
#1: Very very good driving. I think most people don't understand the skill involved in those first 100 feet.

I don't think Saad was trying to limit the stress on the car's launch. The fact that it spun the tires and he had to peddle it is proof. I've run very similar tires on a totally unprepared track and had no issue running 1.7s. My guess is that with a little less launch RPM, the car would have actually launched a bit better. Not optimal, but better in the 60 with "less" tire spin. I don't think there's any way around it spinning in first with so much torque and a "green" track. My point is that it might have rolled out a bit further before it spun, that's all.

The second "peddle" off the line is a gearshift.

Regarding a better prep'd track on it's own improving the ET: It brings it's own set of problems that don't always make a car faster. I've seen cars struggle to launch with perfect traction causing bogging issues...and then breakage when the driver launched harder. Not everyone has a clutch that you can slip off the line. I think if you have better conditions, it can help, but it's not always that simple. Sometimes the launch strategy that would be optimal in those conditions isn't mechanically feasible.

The really cool thing though is that Marcus has data from this run. I would be really interested to see what it looks like.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #780
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Congrats to Marcus, Proefi and Saad. Well done the car is amazing.