E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #941
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
I need exhaust manifold work to really leverage the 7275 and trust me, its coming soon.

BDave, my targets as it stands is 9.99 ET. .. But more than just manifold and tires is going to be needed to get me there. I've got an idea but to avoid anyone following my build and attempting it themselves I'm going to go out and field test it first.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #942
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I need exhaust manifold work to really leverage the 7275 and trust me, its coming soon.

BDave, my targets as it stands is 9.99 ET. .. But more than just manifold and tires is going to be needed to get me there. I've got an idea but to avoid anyone following my build and attempting it themselves I'm going to go out and field test it first.
Exciting
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #943
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Do you have any nitrous on this car? Plans?
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #944
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
I think I like the 7275.

SP, can you over lay a Dyno sheet between the 76 and the new 72?

Please and Thank you.

:Edit: Sorry Marcus. Not thread jacking just curious.
The 72 was the largest turbo that I tested on that car so I cannot overlay the 76 with them. That car was a high compression stroker 2J supra.
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #945
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
The 72 was the largest turbo that I tested on that car so I cannot overlay the 76 with them. That car was a high compression stroker 2J supra.

That's cool. No worries. If you don't mind me asking what was the compression ratio?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #946
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
That's cool. No worries. If you don't mind me asking what was the compression ratio?

Almost 10-1.
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #947
MaverickM3

Talking

Updates? News of any kind? LoL. If we don't get some new news I'm gonna come "Borrow" that 72 you have buddy.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #948
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Updates? News of any kind? LoL. If we don't get some new news I'm gonna come "Borrow" that 72 you have buddy.

Just coming out of the busiest 3 months of my life.. So things should start moving quickly now. Ill give you all updates as soon as wrenches start turning.

New Build by Lab22

Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #949
MaverickM3

:d
Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #950
MarcusLSB

So I finally got around to ordering my new OS Giken Flywheel/Flywheel Bolts.. I'm pretty sure something is screwed up in there.. in this video you can actually here the flywheel rattling around. Yikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tNce0K0ZThI

New Build by Lab22

Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #951
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Is your clutch a twin disk? If it is then it's actually normal for them to make noise when you clutch in. I used to have an Exedy Twin Disk in my other car and anytime you would clutch in you would get a loud rattling noise. It's just the disks/separating plate making noise as the pressure plate isn't clamping down on them. The noise in your video is exactly what it sounds like, so I would say it was working just fine there.

Here's other videos of twin disks that show the noise they make

Last edited by dan avoN7; 09-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #952
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
^^^^ Agreed. I have the same setup and it sounds just like that....part of living with a twin disk.
M5chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #953
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
I wonder if the uuc twin organic is prone to the same rattle?
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #954
MarcusLSB

Its a OS Giken triple disk.

A little rattle is ok.

What you're hearing in that video is NOT ok. We tore it down and found the flywheel bolts were backing out.

That same rattle came back 700mi later.. And it went from what you hear in that video to me shearing a few of the bolts off within 10mi.

I've put roughly 1000mi on my triple disk and when its fresh off the rack the rattle is very minimal.

New Build by Lab22

Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #955
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
I don't think I've ever heard of a twin disk that didn't have a loud rattle. Some are louder than others obviously. But I would say I would class all twin discs noise as more then a little rattle.

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #956
MarcusLSB

I'll make a video of it idling once I replace the flywheel and bolts.

New Build by Lab22

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #957
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I'll make a video of it idling once I replace the flywheel and bolts.
Different flywheel? Or the same? Do you have solid mounts? Or poly ones? Do you have any vibrations? Sounds like something is out of balance. Is it possible a mount failed somewhere within the drivetrain? I'm sure you have checked all of these, just throwing out some ideas. GL
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #958
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
The guy works too much and too hard lol...I'm going to fly down there pretty soon and pull the tranny myself soon lol.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #959
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Different flywheel? Or the same? Do you have solid mounts? Or poly ones? Do you have any vibrations? Sounds like something is out of balance. Is it possible a mount failed somewhere within the drivetrain? I'm sure you have checked all of these, just throwing out some ideas. GL
Solid everything, front to back. I have had some issues with the intake pushing up under high boost (22psi) .. then pushing into the cabin air filter, or strut bar and popping the couplers. I immediately thought it was an engine mount.. but everything seems fine, engine mounts checked out.. motor doesn't rock side to side/etc..

I could have twisted the drive shaft when dragging it.. but I don't feel any vibrations/etc.. after about 700mi of mainly freeway driving the rattle got louder and louder.. rapidly.. like minimal (standard) rattle for 650mi then the last 50 it deteriorated to the point that I sheared a flywheel bolt as I was 1/2 a block from my house.

The flywheel is the OS Giken flywheel. Had to get one imported from Japan they were out of stock. It just arrived at customs in LA yesterday. Also got their clutch alignment tool. Hopefully I can get this sorted out in the next 2 weeks and enjoy the car a bit more before I bring it down to the airtstrip event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The guy works too much and too hard lol...I'm going to fly down there pretty soon and pull the tranny myself soon lol.
I do work to much.. I'm a work-a-holic.

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #960
MarcusLSB

So just an update.. the rear end is going out. Not the OS Giken necessarily but the ring and pinion.

Here are some updated 60-130's from Saturday. I made probably 6-8 passes and here are my 3 best. (Thanks M5chas!)

100-150

60-130

60-130

60-130

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 11-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.