E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Sports Central

Sports Central
NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL, NLL, Olympics etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #41
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI

Pretty lousy round in the high 80s... The wind was VICIOUS!

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #42
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post

Pretty lousy round in the high 80s... The wind was VICIOUS!
Is that an R11 driver? If so what do you think of it?

I had my best round ever, 45 on the back 9. 96 total, had an eagle attempt on the 18th hole, but messed that up pretty bad.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #43
Shaban

And Bubba Watson wins the Masters
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #44
SlideFox

My Ride: A Bucket w/ 4-Wheels
Yes, the Scottsdale boy!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #45
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
I hit the driving range today since it was such a beautiful day and hit about 300 balls. Felt good. I have to get ready for my trip to myrtle beach lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #46
frank330ci03

My Ride: 2004 M3
I absolutely love the game of golf. So much in fact that I refuse to get involved in a relationship. I don't deal well with girlfriends telling me that 'we have to go to a function this weekend on Sunday in the morning', etc. Well I guess my M3 has a lot to do with that too! Here's my swing on the range at Fox Hopyard golf club in East Haddam Connecticut.

frank330ci03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #47
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

^^ beautiful swing man

As for the R11, I'm a HUGE fan. I had previously been using a biggest big bertha (circa 1998) as I really didn't like any of the larger even more oversized drivers.. the R11 is as forgiving as any of the massive drivers I've swung but it doesn't feel large or especially big at setup or in your hands.

Drove a 327 yard par 4 today... missed the eagle putt though

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #48
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
As for the R11, I'm a HUGE fan. I had previously been using a biggest big bertha (circa 1998) as I really didn't like any of the larger even more oversized drivers.. the R11 is as forgiving as any of the massive drivers I've swung but it doesn't feel large or especially big at setup or in your hands.

Drove a 327 yard par 4 today... missed the eagle putt though
Can't wait to be able to drive in the 300's!

The R11 has so many different settings though, how did you get it tuned in just right to your specifications? Professional fitting?

I want to get myself an R11, but I know nothing about shafts or all the settings on it and I would probably end up doing more harm to myself than good.

Currently I'm using a TaylorMade 2009 Burner, I've had it for a little over a year, and I still get a huge slice with it 70% of the time. (Although that's probably me doing something wrong, I've tried just about everything to correct it, including closing the face... didn't help much.)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #49
rjskalet

Shoot I can drive around 300-310 with a four year old taylor made 580 driver. I can only imagine what would happen if I got hold of a new driver and shaban a lot of times if you slice it that much it has a lot to do with your back swing and follow through. Try a different style of swing try bringing the club back different when you swing. Go to the driving range with your driver and try different back swings. When I played golf in high school my coach always said back swing is everything and when you learn where the club should be in your swing keep practicing without the ball so your muscles will learn where the club should be.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #50
SlideFox

If your slicing, usually that means your gripping the club to tight.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #51
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Shoot I can drive around 300-310 with a four year old taylor made 580 driver. I can only imagine what would happen if I got hold of a new driver and shaban a lot of times if you slice it that much it has a lot to do with your back swing and follow through. Try a different style of swing try bringing the club back different when you swing. Go to the driving range with your driver and try different back swings. When I played golf in high school my coach always said back swing is everything and when you learn where the club should be in your swing keep practicing without the ball so your muscles will learn where the club should be.

I've tried changing everything about my swing, and it has gotten a lot better, but there is still that slice with my driver. I don't slice at all with my irons, not even my long irons. I hit my driver an average of 250 yards, most ever is about 285, I hit my 4 iron about 210 and it goes dead center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideFox View Post
If your slicing, usually that means your gripping the club to tight.
I used to, I loosened up a lot lately. It has helped some, but there is still a slice most of the time.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #52
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:

Yeah I have typically been around 280 or so off the tee. Even when I was a scratch, I was never a big hitter (which is surprising given I'm almost 6'3). I think it's just a result of a more compact swing that I developed for consistency over distance. But that R11 has me over 300 regularly. As for fitting, I left all the "adjustments" at neutral and am using a 9* loft.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #53
rjskalet

How tall are you?? Your clubs might be too short. I had an issue with me being 6'2 (with golf shoes) that I had to get longer shafts because my overall posture and form was getting thrown off

Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
SlideFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
I've tried changing everything about my swing, and it has gotten a lot better, but there is still that slice with my driver. I don't slice at all with my irons, not even my long irons. I hit my driver an average of 250 yards, most ever is about 285, I hit my 4 iron about 210 and it goes dead center.

I used to, I loosened up a lot lately. It has helped some, but there is still a slice most of the time.
My instructor told me a slice is the result of human reaction! If you grip it tight in your staging, when you complete your back swing, we have a tendency to "grip it an rip it". It's an uncomfortable sensation to loosen your grip because we think we have less control. This results in leaving the face open and not turning our hands over properly, hence the slice.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #55
rjskalet

Slidefox while you are right, we are trying to diagnose his swing without seeing him actually swing lol.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #56
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideFox View Post
My instructor told me a slice is the result of human reaction! If you grip it tight in your staging, when you complete your back swing, we have a tendency to "grip it an rip it". It's an uncomfortable sensation to loosen your grip because we think we have less control. This results in leaving the face open and not turning our hands over properly, hence the slice.
Diagnose my swing please... looking decent? OK? I used to have a very Jim Furykesque "hitch" at the top of my backswing that I moved away from as I was starting to develop lower back pain from the stress it put... when I was younger, it really helped to have that extra weight transfer and I would torque the hell out of my hips to generate more power (as a thin dude, I needed all the distance I could get)..

Have moved away from that in the last couple years but the swing still feels a bit off..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=b71XTAFXT_4

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #57
frank330ci03

My Ride: 2004 M3
Thanks for the compliments on my golf swing.
I would say if you guys are busting it with your older drivers the way you are, there's no need to get a new one. As for my R 11 I leave everything in the neutral setting. I just love the club head in the feel it has. It feels like the ball explodes off the club. A lot of the guys to get really technical will tell you that the shaft is also 75% of the club. My R 11 is fitted within Aldila Proto NV. It's a stiff flex 65 gram shaft. My clubhead speed is between 100 and 105 miles an hour I consistently hit the ball from 260-290.

For you guys that are hitting slices the first thing I would recommend is to strengthen your grip and the second thing I would recommend is to start hitting the inside of the golf ball. Very hard to describe how to strengthen your grip through text but if you have friends who are golfers ask them to explain for you. And what I mean by hitting the inside of the golf ball is picture the golf ball is a clock hanging on the wall when you were looking add it address. Try hitting the ball at 4 or 5 o'clock and finishing your swing at 10 or 11 o'clock. This will promote draw spin.
frank330ci03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #58
rjskalet

328 You actually have a pretty nice swing. Does the hitch at the top of your back swing effect you club speed at all do you know? And also you have a nice follow through too. A lot of people have a tendency to not follow through their entire swing which causes them to usually have a pretty nasty slice. Also another question do you tend to have a little fade when you hit the ball? Maybe its just the video but you look like you are kind of stretched from the ball.

Last edited by rjskalet; 04-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #59
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
You actually have a pretty nice swing. Does the hitch at the top of your back swing effect you club speed at all do you know? And also you have a nice follow through too. A lot of people have a tendency to not follow through their entire swing which causes them to usually have a pretty nasty slice. Also another question do you tend to have a little fade when you hit the ball? Maybe its just the video but you look like you are kind of stretched from the ball.

- As for clubhead speed, I tend to swing almost exactly the same speed through impact with and without that little hitch/delay. What I do find though is it helps me get the club more on plane and, in turn, offers a little more accuracy. Odd to think that complicating the swing by adding it in makes me more consistent lol. When I was younger though, the hitch gave me a lot more power. I think it was because I had less strength and, in turn, relied on my hips twisting to generate the additional torque I could not get through pure arm strength.
- I think the follow through is just the result of growing up playing the sport. I find that I have a more 'natural' looking swing which makes sense given I essentially grew up with a golf club in my hands. One really ODD fact though is that my practice swings and the swing I actually put on the ball tend to look very different. The warm up swings (usually take one or two only) tend to be hitch free and are more aimed at loosening me up or shaking off any headaches from the previous hole.
- I very well may be stretched from the ball. I have been fighting a few things as of late...

--- Have been fighting a hook for the first time in a LONNNNNG time. It sneaks in but tends to rear it's head most aggressively through tee shots, in which case I usually feel the hands close and I come over the top of the ball resulting in a nasty snap hook OR through my shorter irons (7-9) where I'll hit a seemingly solid shot but 3/4 of the way through the ballflight, will take a nasty dive left... usually puts me 20 yards left of the green or so from only 160 out... very frustrating especially given what feels like very solid contact.

--- Trying to ensure I don't snap the ball, I've been focusing on dropping my right elbow down into "the slot" next to my rib cage during the backswing to promote a more even contact zone.. typically if I do this, I'm hitting the ball well.. but every now and then just block it and push it 20 yards or more right with a perfectly straight swing path...

I can't really hate on myself too much as I've only played a few rounds thus far this year but it's annoying as hell. Maybe it is something with my setup.. perhaps reaching too much for the ball .. I think the main problem is because I have a "natural" feeling swing, little errors in timing can be catastrophic.

One other thing to add to the mix is that I've noticed a SIGNIFICANT reduction in flexibility compared to just a year or two ago. Over the last 8 or 9 months, I've been extremely dedicated to the gym and eating a crap ton of healthy food.. the resulting 18 pounds (and less than a 1% increase in body fat percentage) has me significantly stronger.. but with less flexibility.. in fact, I've been experiencing tennis elbow and tend to start feeling the ligament on the outside of my right elbow really start to hurt only a few holes in.. .by 18, it's more or less a throbbing pain. Perhaps this reduction in flexibility has everything off... know any stretches for the elbow that may help this?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #60
rjskalet

You sound just like me when being that I started so young I have always had a natural swing and the smallest of tweaks to it will result in a completely different ball flight. My natural swing has always made me have a slight fade (maybe like 5 yards of my target) but I know if I switch my swing just the slightest I can get a stronger fade or I can hit a draw. Usually only with my longer clubs though as for short irons I always hit it straight except if I choose to give the ball a different flight path.

As for flexibility I agree. While I am only 21 I would say ever since high school I have noticed flexibility decline ever so slightly even though I played golf for my high school so they showed ways to help keep your swing since I had to lift weights for football. That is one disadvantage though of lifting weights and not being able to play everyday. You almost have to swing the club everyday while you are lifting to retain the flexibility and so you don't mess up your natural motion.

As for club speed that's cool that you really didn't lose that with your swing. And like you said with your hitch it actually does level out your swinging plane which allows you to hit more consistent shots because a lot of people swing either more up and down which causes them to slice or more like a baseball bat which causes a bad hook.