E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Sports Central

Sports Central
NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL, NLL, Olympics etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #61
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideFox View Post
My instructor told me a slice is the result of human reaction! If you grip it tight in your staging, when you complete your back swing, we have a tendency to "grip it an rip it". It's an uncomfortable sensation to loosen your grip because we think we have less control. This results in leaving the face open and not turning our hands over properly, hence the slice.
I used to grip the club really tight, and I would never use my wrists. A few weeks ago a guy at the driving range was watching me hit and told me to use my wrists more with my swing. I started doing that and it helped me a lot. I then was watching an instructor teach a guy and he told him to loosen up his grip, and I started doing that and it helped even more. So since then I don't try to rip it, I just let the club do the work. It's definitely added distance to my swing, and helped the slice a bit, but most of the time I still have that bad slice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Slidefox while you are right, we are trying to diagnose his swing without seeing him actually swing lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
I'll probably be going to the driving range today, I'll try to get video of my swing.

I do find it odd though that I never slice my irons, but slice my driver a lot

Last edited by Shaban; 04-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #62
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
Shaban if you can get a video of the video facing you directly and one facing you from your right side. Assuming you are right handed

rjskalet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #63
Shaban

Quote:
Shaban if you can get a video of the video facing you directly and one facing you from your right side. Assuming you are right handed

I'll try to do that. I notice you're in Virginia, here's a good deal that I couldn't pass up for 6 courses. www.wtvr.com/golf
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #64
rjskalet

Dang. Yea that is a pretty good deal. The only place I have played is royal new Kent from that list. My dad usually gets a membership to rivers bend so that's where I normally go.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #65
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
I'm a fan of his, but this sh!t pisses me off. Come on, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #66
Shaban

Alright, got out on the range today and got my friend to take a couple video's of my swing. This is the first time I've ever watched my swing also.
Probably the two best drives I've ever had at the driving range, 260+ yards (fence + woods at 260) and dead center.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #67
Shaban

No comment on the vid?

Got fitted for a shaft today, they recommended a stiff shaft. I tried it out, but not sure I liked how it felt.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #68
TIHZ TA3

My Ride: Elise SC
practice with a mirror where the camera was in the first angle. Try to bring the club more straight back to where the club head will be facing directly backwards at 90 degrees. You are very inside on the back swing, which will cause some weak right shots or hooks.

Also, in the second video angle, at setup, your hands should be in front of the ball causing a slight forward shaft angle.

Your posture would improve if you setup a bit closer to the ball as well.

overall, it looks like you have a good motion though (seriously)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #69
rjskalet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
No comment on the vid?

Got fitted for a shaft today, they recommended a stiff shaft. I tried it out, but not sure I liked how it felt.
I'll take a look at it when I go home today. I have a lot going on with this design project.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #70
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIHZ TA3 View Post
practice with a mirror where the camera was in the first angle. Try to bring the club more straight back to where the club head will be facing directly backwards at 90 degrees. You are very inside on the back swing, which will cause some weak right shots or hooks.

Also, in the second video angle, at setup, your hands should be in front of the ball causing a slight forward shaft angle.

Thanks! I'll try these today at the range. I never heard about the forward shaft angle part, so hopefully that helps me out

Quote:
I'll take a look at it when I go home today. I have a lot going on with this design project.

Awesome, thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #71
TIHZ TA3

This position is a result of the inside takeaway. This will force you to slide your hips. This is "flat" or below the proper swing plane.

A more powerful and "on plane" swing would have your hands a bit higher allowing your body and arms to swing together downward.

you have a great shoulder turn ability thought.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #72
Shaban

Quote:

I tried doing the forward shaft angle today at the range and I don't think I got anything out of it. My shots were the same/worse when I tried it.

Quote:
This position is a result of the inside takeaway. This will force you to slide your hips. This is "flat" or below the proper swing plane.

A more powerful and "on plane" swing would have your hands a bit higher allowing your body and arms to swing together downward.

you have a great shoulder turn ability thought.
Thanks for the compliments!

I actually noticed that while watching the video of myself. I tried taking a wider backswing which actually helped my slice A LOT. 90% of my shots were center around 250 yards (where the ball landed, not where it rolled to).

Last night I picked up a TaylorMade R11s, improved my swing speed a lot, and I changed the settings to close the face a bit. But I also put it to hit a higher loft (closed club face more), which I felt decreased my distance. Tomorrow I'm going to change it back to standard loft, and I feel as that should add another 10-15 yards easy.

My swing speed with my TaylorMade Burner 2009 was 86-90mph average regular flex shaft. Swing speed with the TaylorMade R11s is 108-111 average (highest speed was 121, lowest was 101) and that is with the stiff shaft. It's added a lot more consistency to my drives.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #73
TIHZ TA3

Are you saying that the newer driver increased your swing speed from 86-90 to 108-111? I'm not so sure about that, maybe I misunderstood.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #74
Shaban

Quote:
Are you saying that the newer driver increased your swing speed from 86-90 to 108-111? I'm not so sure about that, maybe I misunderstood.
I have the OptiShot Golf Simulator, and it measures club speed (they claim it's accurate within +-2.0mph). I tried both clubs multiple times, the highest I recorded with the 2009 was 91, and that was swinging my hardest. The highest I recorded with the R11s was 121, and that was swinging my hardest.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #75
Shaban

Got back to the range today, adjusted club head back to standard loft. 95% of my shots with my driver were dead straight (no slice) and hitting the fence at 260!! I've never hit like this before. Worked on irons also and was hitting them pretty decent also, I've always been pretty good with irons though. So now worst part of my game is putting. Playing Laytsonville Golf Course this Sunday again, last time I played there I shot 100, lets see how I do this time!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #76
Shaban

Shot a 98 today, feel like I wasn't playing too well today
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #77
RHLP3

My Ride: An office chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Diagnose my swing please... looking decent? OK? I used to have a very Jim Furykesque "hitch" at the top of my backswing that I moved away from as I was starting to develop lower back pain from the stress it put... when I was younger, it really helped to have that extra weight transfer and I would torque the hell out of my hips to generate more power (as a thin dude, I needed all the distance I could get)..

Have moved away from that in the last couple years but the swing still feels a bit off..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=b71XTAFXT_4

I think the lower back pain could be related to how much your head is dipping at impact.

Everything looks good for the most part, only thing I would work on is trying to keep my head at the same height through the swing. Dipping the way you are will lead to inconsistency.

Fairways & Greens
Old 04-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #78
Shaban

F the rain
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #79
cruzer7

My Ride: 2003 325i
New on here and fairly new to golf as well. Started playing exactly a year ago through a friend. Usually just play par 3 courses right now, last time played big course was i think august and shot best round of 92. Would be down to play with a fellow e46fanatic if anyone is interested..
cruzer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #80
rjskalet

We need to get more forum members to play golf or try it. It would probably be lots of fun getting together with a lot of people.