E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Back2Basics

My Ride: is an instigator
Chicken Q (serious newb alert, JJR where you at?)

Sup strangers

Im trying to start cooking more stuff on my own. I got some boneless chicken breasts from shoprite and I was heating them up on the stove. Some googlefu tells me 4-6 minutes on each side over medium flame should be good. Well there was still some pink on the outside so I kept flipping them, and 25 minutes later they're dried to **** and ruined. What am I doin wrong? Is a little pink towards the edges ok, cuz the centers were definetly cooked through.

Maybe higher flame? More oil? Is it better to leave them as big pieces or cut them up?

Also if you guys can recommend any recipes or sites with recipes that are easy and quick, that'd be awesome. I'm big on fitness and PT but my diets always been garbage and I'm always on the go. I finally invested in some ziplock containers so I wanna start bringing little meals with me, like chicken salads and stuff.

Thanks OT
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Wes

hey niqqa, where u been?

When you cook the chicken on a pan, make sure to cover it with a lid so the steam locks in. It will help keep the chicken moist.

Last edited by Wes; 03-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
This really has so many different answers.

The outside of the breast is going to cook first. You're looking at the color of the liquid coming out of the breast, that needs to run clear. The exterior doesn't matter. Once you get the hang of it you can tell my just the feel of it.

I usually thin cut chicken breasts. Just the way I prefer to eat them. If I am going to use the whole breast of the chicken, I'd prefer to just leave the bone in and cook it that way.

Throw out a way you want the food and then we can throw out more suggestions.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Buy a meat thermometer and cook to 165 degrees.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Like accolade said, if you are cooking a whole chicken breast, which is usually an inch thick, you are going to want to cut that in half that way you don't have to cook it 20 minutes through

as far as recipes, there are just so many. the best thing i will suggest for chicken, is brining it the day before you cook it. Whether they be frozen or just refrigerated... make a brine of the following ratio... 1 gallon : 1 cup salt : 1/2 cup sugar... then you can add in some whole peppercorns, rosemary, etc etc... doesn't matter... the salt is the most important part, anything else is just preference.... typically i bring the brine to a boil, then let cool and put in the fridge. submerge the chicken in that water for 24 hours then cook just like you would a normal piece of chicken. juicy like you can't imagine...

just as a pointer, make sure all the chicken you are cooking is the same size/thickness.... unti you get comfortable with cooking chicken, use one piece as a test piece that you can cut open when you "think" its done.... if that one is done, then you should be good if all the other pieces are the same thickness relatively. i always eyeball the biggest piece and check to see if that one is done, if that is, they all are

another great marinade is good seasonings italian dressing (i mix 50/50 red wine vinegar and balsamic)... marinate some chicken in that overnight
Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I wouldn't suggest cooking a chicken breast on a stove like that. Season it and bake it and it will come out much more moist. Or grill that sh1t.

ps i love you
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
ride365

Based on your level of experience, these should get you headed in the right direction.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
i love chicken

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
bon3z
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '02 330ci
not sure if it's the best way to cook chicken, but a fool proof way to cook chicken indoors is to just put some water in a pan and cook the chicken in that on medium heat. make sure there's enough water in there to submerge the chicken.

literally impossible to mess up. doesn't seem to matter if you leave it going a bit too long. then, if you want the outsides to be browned, just dump water out, put back on pan and cook a little bit on each side. (usually sprinkle some seasoing on at this point as well)
bon3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon3z View Post
not sure if it's the best way to cook chicken, but a fool proof way to cook chicken indoors is to just put some water in a pan and cook the chicken in that on medium heat. make sure there's enough water in there to submerge the chicken.

literally impossible to mess up. doesn't seem to matter if you leave it going a bit too long. then, if you want the outsides to be browned, just dump water out, put back on pan and cook a little bit on each side. (usually sprinkle some seasoing on at this point as well)
Eww. Leave.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
ride365

^^ I know it sounds unappetizing to Amurcans, but boiled/steamed chicken is possibly my favorite way to eat chicken.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boiledchicken.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	443322  
Old 03-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
bon3z
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Eww. Leave.
lol. it's really not bad at all. like I said not best way, but impossible to mess up.
bon3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Steamed chicken...with some ginger/oil/salt. So good...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon3z View Post

the only time i cook chicken in water is to make chicken soup..... WHICH IS FVKCING NEVER
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
I've cooked chicken plenty of ways and my favorite way by FAR is baking it now.

You can pan fry it with a nonstick pan and get it pretty good as well. The biggest mistake people do when cooking chicken is overcooking, either grill or pan. They dry out very quickly once they reach the "done" point.

I've tried boiling it and it was absolutely terribly, rubbery and flavorless.

Poaching is a little better, it isnt submerged in water and they turn out decent. I usually just put frozen chicken breasts or tenders in a pot and use low heat to defrost them and that gives me enough juices to finish poaching them.

But to bake them, I lay them all out side by side on a baking dish(lined with foil for easy cleanup), then salt pepper and season them with whatever is handy and throw em in the oven for about 30 minutes around 375. If you want to cut up a little bit of butter and lay on top of them that works really nicely, then about halfway through i'll flip them all and use a grill brush to spread the seasonings and butter back over the top. This is by far my favorite way to cook chicken now! I'll fix a whole tray full, then shred it in a food chopper and eat it for lunch all week.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
boil first, then last 2 minutes broil the skin on high. hnggggggg
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i just tried going that extra step and finishing my chicken breasts off in the oven last night and they still came out dry. seared it in a pan, about 2-3 minutes on each side; then threw it in the oven for 30 minutes. i'm giving up on chicken
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i just tried going that extra step and finishing my chicken breasts off in the oven last night and they still came out dry. seared it in a pan, about 2-3 minutes on each side; then threw it in the oven for 30 minutes. i'm giving up on chicken
I pan fried some chicken on monday and I dont see how you could mess it up.

I usually start with frozen chicken tenders, but i've also done this with fresh breasts. I throw them in a non-stick skillet while frozen, season them a little(it wont stick), and put the burner on warm-low and cover. Once they have thawed just a little, the seasoning will stick and all the juices will thaw off to give it something to simmer in. So I reason them and turn it up to a little more heat, once they are completely thawed I flip them, uncover and go to med-high heat to finish cooking and boil off some of the juices. Usually right before the pan is actually dry, the chicken is completely done and still plenty of juice in the chicken. You can cut open a piece of chicken to check, it shouldnt be pink, but if you get it a bright solid white on the inside, it will most likely be over done.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
jesus christ why for so long???

cut them in half, pan sear them a couple minutes each side, use one piece as a test piece and cut it through the thickest part of the chicken.... if it is done, they are all done
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
also, i find that i get a smokefest everytime i pan fry meat. i use a nonstick cooking spray (e.g. pam) and use high heat with a nonstick pan. am i doing something wrong? am i adding too much heat?