E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
alanstrainor

My Ride: 01 325ci
Springs or Shocks H&R cup kit

Hey fellas,

My car ('01 325ci) is sitting on an H&R cup kit. Recently I have been getting rubbing noises on the passenger side of the car (I'm in Ireland...so the left side) especially noticeable when there is a passenger in the car. However I have no such issues on the drivers side. This is leading me to believe something suspension related is causing some issue here. The car still feels fine, handling feels tight and no complaints when I'm tearing around!

As I said, the car sits on a H&R cup kit at present, and has done for ~50k miles without issue. I'm wondering if this could be a symptom of a failing shock?

The car sits fine when stationary, it is level and no issues that I can see there. After examining the spring/shock I can't notice anything obvious. The spring has a little corrosion on both sides, but nothing really to note. The shocks look fine, nothing obvious.

So my question, would I be right in assuming an issue with my shock? If this is a reasonable assumption, then what rear shocks should I replace with, and do I need to refresh the springs while I'm there?

I know this is one of those; very hard to answer with such vague descriptions...but even if you could give me a better idea on how to diagnose my problem it would be great!
alanstrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
First things first; find out where exactly the rubbing is coming from. You should be able to spot a clean spot or a spot with transfer from the tire.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
alanstrainor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
First things first; find out where exactly the rubbing is coming from. You should be able to spot a clean spot or a spot with transfer from the tire.
Most of the rubbing can be seen up in the wheel well, on the wheel well liner. There is some, (very slight) rubbing on the arch too, but the wheels/tires are right on the limit in terms of width without rolling the arches.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
alanstrainor

Also, cheers to the mod for moving this...get lost around these parts quite a lot!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Measure from the wheel arch to the top lip of the wheel on both sides and see if there's a difference. Do this with somebody sitting in the car on the side you're measuring and without somebody in there also to see if how far the car goes down when loaded is different between sides as well. If there's no noticeable difference there, drive over a speed bump completely straight and see if you can tell a difference in how far each side goes down before rebounding. One of the company cars I drive had the right side shock blown out and you could definitely tell that side went down further and then rebounded further before settling down again. I suspect that'll be much harder to notice on a BMW with a Cup Kit vs the Chevy I noticed it on, but still...

If it still seems all even, check the fitment of the fender liner itself to make sure it hasn't come loose and is sagging closer to the wheel.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
alanstrainor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
Measure from the wheel arch to the top lip of the wheel on both sides and see if there's a difference. Do this with somebody sitting in the car on the side you're measuring and without somebody in there also to see if how far the car goes down when loaded is different between sides as well. If there's no noticeable difference there, drive over a speed bump completely straight and see if you can tell a difference in how far each side goes down before rebounding. One of the company cars I drive had the right side shock blown out and you could definitely tell that side went down further and then rebounded further before settling down again. I suspect that'll be much harder to notice on a BMW with a Cup Kit vs the Chevy I noticed it on, but still...

If it still seems all even, check the fitment of the fender liner itself to make sure it hasn't come loose and is sagging closer to the wheel.
Cheers for the help man. I will take a look this evening and see if I can get more info!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
alanstrainor

Thumbs Up

Hey guys, so I at least have some more info for you. I took the right hand side wheel off to take a look again, and took some pictures while I was there. I forgot to take pictures of the top mounts, but they appear fine on both sides when I looked from the boot after removing the trim.

The gallery shows you the car with and without a relatively heavy person sitting in either side of the car to give you an idea of how it sits while stationary.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at the pictures to see if you can think of anything else, I'd really appreciate it!

https://imgur.com/a/yihqH
Old 09-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
alanstrainor

I have some more pictures of the spring in particular, which I can't see as being completely split, but i'm not too sure if it sits right?

http://imgur.com/a/q0cXZ

Also, I have a video of the car going over a speed bump. Now the video is short, and the actual motion is over very quickly, but it might help somewhat:

Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
alanstrainor

Well gents, I have a pair of Koni Sport (yellow) shocks now on the rear of the car and it seems to have fixed the problem. Once I had the old troublesome H&R shock out, I could hear a squelching noise when compressing it by hand, which points to a failed seal. I finished installing the koni's yesterday and only went for a short test drive, but thus far I have none of the symptoms I had before.

Cheers everyone! I'm chuffed! The DIY was easy enough too

Tags
e46, h&r cup, shock, spring