E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Deuces88

My Ride: 99 328i
Continental DWS or Micheline Pilot Sports A/S?

Having tramlining problems with new nexen tires i got. Intially didn't think it was tires, but had front suspension checked by 2 shops, said its in great condition. Had alignment checked, all is fine. So now im going to switch the tires..... i just don't know which brand to choose.

A cousin of mine had the same issue and switched to Continental extreme's from bridgestones and the problem went away. I want to get all seasons so my two choices are.........

Continental DWS - Listed on tirerack for about 550.

Micheline Pilot Sport - Listed for about 750.

Don't care about road noise, just want tramining to dissapear. Its not terrible with the nexens, but does it just enough to be annoying.

Secondary question - Im running style 44's, 17 x 8. 225/45/17 all around. Although it looks good, id like to go a bit wider on rear tires. 245/40/17. Any issues with this as well? Cars a 1999 328i sedan. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Deuces88; 03-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Deuces88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Bimmer's Garage

My Ride: BMW E83 X3
Well first off the Micheline Pilot Sports are summer performance tires and the Continental DWS are all season. I actually looked into buying the DWS last week to replace the Pirelli PZero Neros on my X3, which I loved unfortunately they only lasted a little over 15,000 miles which I expected due to the all wheel drive system and negative camber from the H&R sport suspension. As of last week there was a nation wide backorder for the DWS so I opted out with the Goodyear Eagle GTs which are all season and they are pretty reasonable in price.
As for the 245/40/17s on your style 44's I think that the tred width will be too large. Don't quote me on that but just to be sure call your local tire installer and they will let you know your max size. you should probably go with 235/45/17.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Deuces88

My Ride: 99 328i
Sorry i meant the pilot sport A/S. It says on tirerack they are all seasons. As for the dws, on tirerack it says they have them in stock, although who knows how accurate that is.
Deuces88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
My wife's wagon has the DWS and I like them. Decent ride, nice and quiet and no tramlining with staggered 235f/265r
Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Bimmer's Garage

When I was trying to order the dws they told me it could be over a month before they get them in stock but if they are in stock they would be a good buy I did some research on them and I like the results. I had the pilot sport all seasons 2 years ago and I hated them. Squealed when taking the slightest turn sending pedestrians running away in fear. They also had terrible traction, but they could have changed their design lately who knows
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
DWS--easy on the wallet, and quite the performer
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Just had some DWS put on, size 225/45/17, and I think they are way too soft. I came from the ContExtreme DW, same size, which were much more stiff and made the car feel much sportier.

That might not matter to you though. Just an FYI.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Bimmer's Garage

If you haven't already ordered I would take a look at the Goodyear GTs I just had them installed yesterday and so far I am extremely impressed with the grip characteristics not to mention they are good looking. The price was NICE too.
Heres a picture of them on my 19s (curb rash courtesy of the City of Philadelphia)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X3EagleGT.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	442196  

Last edited by Bimmer's Garage; 03-16-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Bimmer's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
brianfulcher15

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I have dws on my tiburon. I like them, but they pick up rocks really bad, which resulted in some chiping on the wheels i had.
brianfulcher15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
ED955S

My Ride: BMW 330 Mini CooperS
DWS @ 225x45x17. Tire pressure F=37 R=39 cold is just perfect for me. 40 psi is good for handling but bit jarring on bumpy roads. It is very good in the rain too.
ED955S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
I have experience with both Conti's and Mich P/S's.

All I can say is that Conti's get VERY noisy at 15,000 miles or so, and worse thereafter.

All 3 of my cars run Mich P/S's - I'd buy them again. More pricey than others, but worth it, IMO

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
be-doubleyou

My Ride: 02 325ci
I bought the DWS's because i go snowboarding a lot despite living in socal. They work amazing for me in light snow, but i haven't tried them in heavy snow. Great in rain and good in the dry but the sidewalls are soft so they aren't as sporty as the Michelins. I have 225/45/17 on my stock style 44's for DD and it rides smooth, fairly quiet, and have put 10K on them with little to no wear; the S in the tread is still showing. My car is lowered a lot but with relatively stock camber amounts around 1.x front and rear, and they have lasted quite well so far.

My dad has the pilot sport a/s plus on his e60 and the tread is dry rotting on the side of the tread despite the tires only being under 2 years old. The front and rear tires were purchased 6 months apart from each other, which concerns me that it was not just a defective batch but quality going south on Michelin tires. He also had one blow out on the freeway, so they haven't been the most dependable tires from what i've seen. They are sportier but i decided against the michelins due to my dad's experience.

be-doubleyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Between the two, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus has better dry grip and faster steering response for a sportier feel. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS has an advantage in snow traction and a bit softer ride than the Sport A/S Plus.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...ires/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
The DWS is a tire for grandmas and average family sedans. The E46 may be old but it's not pig- as Gary said the Pilot Sport A/S is a much more satisfying if you ever dare drive 5 over, or enjoy spirited driving on occasion.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote