E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
One wheel has a lot more brake dust. Why?

My passengers side rear wheel has a lot more brake dust than my other wheels. My brakes aren't new, they're fairly worn but don't need replacing yet.
What could cause this? I don't think I have a stuck caliper. But I guess I don't really know.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
mxchris727

My Ride: E46, E39, E90, 911..
Take a drive: Go on the highway for a bit using your brakes as little as possible. Stop in a safe place (again, without using your brakes very much) and feel is one wheel/rotor is hotter than the rest. If so, you have a stuck caliper.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Take a drive: Go on the highway for a bit using your brakes as little as possible. Stop in a safe place (again, without using your brakes very much) and feel is one wheel/rotor is hotter than the rest. If so, you have a stuck caliper.
+1

Also, when you're on a slight incline, check to see if the car rolls freely in neutral. When my left front caliper started to seize I noticed that my car would not roll out of my garage like it normally would.

Last edited by ImolaSix; 03-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.
ImolaSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
peytonracer4

Assuming it is a seized caliper, what do I do?
Buy a rebuild kit or replace the caliper
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
mxchris727

Rebuild kits are 15 bucks, if you don't feel conformable working on a brake caliper, than buy a rebuilt one: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...5%29%2C%20Each

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Could be a warped rotor, causing the the pad to rub when rotating, generating a lot of dust. I believe my front right rotor has this problem, is makes a scraping/whooshing noise every rotation for a second. It makes a lot of dust and is warm. I think I'm going to rebuild that caliper and replace the rotor just to be sure.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
mxchris727

^Today's rotors don't actually "warp" like rotors from the 70's, pad material gets stuck on them and causes a vibration/noise the simulates a warped rotor. Just don't want you to replace a rotor for no good reason. Try a caliper rebuild first.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Assuming it is a seized caliper, what do I do?
Buy a rebuild kit or replace the caliper
I had this dilemma too. I ended up finding a great caliper shop in my city that sold rebuilt calipers for $65 each! New piston and seals and the caliper body was sandblasted so it basically looked new.

The piston boot on my old caliper had torn off and the piston had started to rust so i figured its not worth buying new seals and pistons.

Search around in your area for shops that rebuild calipers.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
peytonracer4

I'm Pretty sure it is a stuck caliper. When my car is on a hill to roll backwards I can feel my suspension preload on that side.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Guaranteed it's a stuck caliper. I do one a year on average. Not so much now.
Check you classifieds for a caliper rebuild shop. They also usually do alternator rebuilds and starters.
All for $50 for the same one your mech will charge $300 for because it's "BMW".
you'll have to leave a $50 deposit until you return the old caliper.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Well, not so fast guys!

Not saying it's not a caliper, but it could also be the guidepins are hanging up in the bushing...both can be cleaned, and although it's against the TIS, the guidepin can be greased with brake grease...my rebuilt calipers came greased this way.

You could dissassemble things and have a look. Clean everything up really well, inspect both pads, grease also where pads slide on caliper.

Not saying it's not caliper...it could be. If the seal is broken, odds are that the caliper is seized. You could rebuild it yourself with a kit for $20, but you'd need compressed air to remove the piston. If you have that, the rebuild should be pretty easy. Clean up the piston with fine sandpaper...replace square o-ring and seal. I didn't do this myself, but again, with air, should be easy.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
peytonracer4

Why do you need compressed air?
I'm familiar with the design of the calipers but what do you need compressed air for
Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
dmax

If the caliper is seized, like mine was, I couldn't get the piston out. I'd already bought remanned ones, but took the old one to play around with. I spent an hour trying to get the piston out...but it was seized. I didn't have air at home...but tried every tool I had to pull it out to see what was going on inside it. It wouldn't come out no matter what.

Next day, I brought it to my shop. My buddy put his air gun into one of the fittings, held the other with his finger, and in 3 secs. it popped out.

I'm not sure why exactly, but I think it must be because the square o-ring needed pressure from behind to release it. Maybe in some cases they can be removed, but I kind of have my doubts. Also, if you grip the piston with anything that 'scores' it, you might as well toss it...and they're pricey. At that point, a remanned is probably around the same cost.

Anyway, that was my experience, so I wanted to give you a heads up.

watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Sapote

My Ride: E46 2000 323i wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Well, not so fast guys!

Not saying it's not a caliper, but it could also be the guidepins are hanging up in the bushing...both can be cleaned, and although it's against the TIS, the guidepin can be greased with brake grease...my rebuilt calipers came greased this way.

You could dissassemble things and have a look. Clean everything up really well, inspect both pads, grease also where pads slide on caliper.

Not saying it's not caliper...it could be. If the seal is broken, odds are that the caliper is seized. You could rebuild it yourself with a kit for $20, but you'd need compressed air to remove the piston. If you have that, the rebuild should be pretty easy. Clean up the piston with fine sandpaper...replace square o-ring and seal. I didn't do this myself, but again, with air, should be easy.
It's me again - the guy doesn't want to buy special tools if possible. No air compressor needed for caliper rebuild; use the car's better and safer compressor - it's call brake hydraulic. This is even easier with E46 one-piston float caliper. (My vintage '74 3.0CSi has 4-piston fixed caliper.) Just leave the brake hose connected and carefully push the piston out with the brake pedal, which is included with the car when you paid for it, so free to use it!!! Air is compressible and could blow the seized piston out violently. Make sure to use brake grease to seal around the two ends of the piston rubber boot and water will never dare to enter and rust up the piston again (the factory could not afford for this kind of labor).

To diagnose if the issue is piston seized or float caliper guide pin seized: check which pad worn down "much" more than the other. Normally which pad worn quicker - piston side or other side? Want to take a test?
Normal caliper has piston side pad worn less than the other side, but not much. Intuitive one may think the pad pushed directly by piston should wear more, right? Wrong. Since a good working caliper has the piston retracted after used and so this side pad is freer from rubbing with the rotor. So if the piston side pad worn much more than the other then you have a seized piston.

Sapote

Last edited by Sapote; 03-23-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
dmax

Nice...of course I hadn't considered that since I had the remanned already on the car.

I guess either way, the issue is you need even pressure from behind to get it out.

Peyton, if you go that route, just make sure you keep reservoir from going dry.

Please 'friend' me!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Sapote

Quote:
Peyton, if you go that route, just make sure you keep reservoir from going dry.
Thank you Dmax; I should have mention this.

Sapote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Sapote

Brake Pad Sensor Bad Design

BTW, the factory brake wear sensors are useless, most of the time. Why? I had found out that they had the sensor on the wrong side. For E46 floating single piston caliper, the piston side pad worn less than the other side, and so the sensor should be placed on the other side, but the engineer carelessly place on the piston side, and when the other pad was down to metal and the sensor not even triggered.

Sapote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
Thank you Dmax; I should have mention this.

Sapote
Right back at you. No one here can be expected to know it all, or even if they did, to write it all! Together I think we have a pretty good team!

On the pad sensor, I agree with what you're saying...I wouldn't say it's on the wrong pad, per se, but maybe there were issues getting them on both sides of the caliper safely or reliably. Also, we can't see the inside pad, but we can the outside one pretty easily.

Please 'friend' me!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Sapote

Quote:
Right back at you. No one here can be expected to know it all, or even if they did, to write it all! Together I think we have a pretty good team!

On the pad sensor, I agree with what you're saying...I wouldn't say it's on the wrong pad, per se, but maybe there were issues getting them on both sides of the caliper safely or reliably. Also, we can't see the inside pad, but we can the outside one pretty easily.
They don't have to be installed on both sides -- just installed on the side that wears fastest.

Sapote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
They don't have to be installed on both sides -- just installed on the side that wears fastest.

Sapote
I wonder if maybe your guidepin was hanging up.

When I measured my pads, 700 miles after the warning was triggered, both pads were down to about 1.5-2 mm. Someone at a dealer told me I had 1500 miles to go. If I had waited that long, I would have been down to metal.

I'm not sure the outside 'always' wears faster; they seemed very even on mine.

Please 'friend' me!