E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Most units under the SOCOM umbrella also don't go through the same supply chain. Many of these units don't have an MTOE or any S-4 requisition forms. They just have credit cards with no credit limits. They want a gun, they contact the manufacturer directly and ask for Gun X with Modifications 1, 3 and 6 and said weapon gets front-loaded in the build queue and is immediately built and shipped-out. Aside from Tier 1 and SOCOM units, the only other group that gets that luxury is FBI HRT. When you're top of the food chain, you can do whatever you want. It pays to be the apex predator.
The rest of us don't get that luxury. Nor would I need it with the M9, because for the military, the pistol is a secondary or tertiary weapon system. It's truly a SHTF weapon for all non-MP(& SP/MA) personnel.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Best not to remove any safety, Back in the day I heard of several cases of people removing colt series 80 FP safeties (a internal drop safety) and getting nailed on a justified shoot just because they removed a safety that's only job was to lock the firing pin incase the gun was dropped and the hammer jumped the sear.

Removing the thumb safety would be a field day for them, "gun nut removes safety"

Now, from my humble experiance the thumb safety should always be used if the firearm has one. If you cant handle it you may want to stop carrying all togeather.

As far as guns go I'm a 1911 guy. I own a small business that deals with used 1911 parts... but I wont carry a 1911 cocked and locked, especially the MIM crap thats getting pumped out today. Even with the safety on your hammer is resting on two hooks that are roughly .020 thick (less if the trigger has been messed with) IF something breaks (remember I sell used parts) and they some times do, a 1911 can run out of control until the pistol is empty in a worst case situation. I've broken two sears myself, one lead to the pistol going NFA, the hammer followed the slide until the mag was empty, a novice would/could have shot himself in the face.

I will carry a M9, when you decock a m9 that gun is completely 100% safe, you cant make it go off until you flip that safety and pull the trigger.
Never heard of a "1911 Guy" that was scared to carry one cocked and locked. The gun has 2 safeties in series 70 mode and 3 (including a firing pin block) on series 80. On my Kimber, even if the gun did go full auto all I have to do is let off the grip safety and the firing pin is blocked. The gun is DESIGNED to be carried cocked and locked and it is nothing to be scared of at all. The problem comes when novice people drop in sears and hammers that aren't properly radiused and fit together. Even "drop in" parts like that should be fit by a trained gunsmith. A youtube DIY isn't going to cut it.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Actually, if you want to get technical the basic 1911 has 3 safeties and the series 80 has 4.

I trust glocks, I trust m9's, I dont trust a 1911. You CANT make a glock or a m9 go off while on safe. A standard 1911 you can, true a series 80 is safer and should not go off reguardless.

That said, I think I'm gona go look for my first carry gun.....now where'd I put that old colt.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote