E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
jwt1603

My Ride: E46 M3, E60 M5
DICE media bridge questions

I'm buying my wife an 04 M3 vert and it doesn't have factory bluetooth or satellite radio. The price from BMW to put them in seems a bit high. Actually ridiculous is more like it. I've been reading a bit about the DICE unit. I've been on their website and maybe I missed it but I've got a few questions about installing the unit. I called them and left a message but wanted to hear what actual users had to say about it. I'm fairly handy so installing it isn't an issue.

One, since it's a convertible are there any antennae issues for the satellite radio?

Two, the website only mentions iphones. Does it work with droid phones?

Three, how do you make an outbound call with it? Does the contact list from the phone show up on the radio display? Or do you dial from the phone and then use the handfree?

Four, how well does it work?

Thanks in advance!
jwt1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
1) Can't help with the antenna cos we don't have SDARS in the UK. Just like any antenna, especially satellite, a good view of the sky will be beneficial to reception.
2) Yes, as long as they behave like a USB thumb drive. My ZTE doesn't.
3) You must flip to the CDC audio to hear the phone, incoming or outgoing. No the contacts don't show up on incoming and outgoing calls, although that may change in future software versions. Only the incoming caller number is displayed. Yes you dial from the phone. No you can't use the phone or sneezing man steering wheel buttons to answer and end calls.
4) The BT is pretty good actually. Reliably connects and disconnects with the phone in your pocket. It's no Pentium Corei5 2GHz; you need to accept these things are working on a really old system and dragging in many modern features, so be patient with your button presses and screen refresh expectations.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
zanth119

My Ride: 2002 330cic
I have a Droid phone and the Bluetooth calls and audio streaming work fine. If you want to connect the Droid to the MB using the USB connection, all your music files need to be on the phone's memory and not the SD card, the MB only picks up one mounted volume from the phone, and unfortunately it's not the SD card.

As for the steering wheel controls, hitting track up/down will advance/go back a track on the BT streaming (like from WinAmp or Pandora) or playing music from the USB drive/phone memory

With the phone, hitting up arrow will answer a call, down arrow will hang up (have to hold them down for a second, not just a quick tap)

Scrolling through mp3 files on a mounted volume (phone or USB drive) is painfully slow, the MB doesn't create its own content data base, but instead reads off the USB drive each time. Also, your music is presented based on file directory structure (i.e. can't play music by genre).

Overall, it's not a bad solution, but functionally, I like Parrot's BT/Music solution better, just a shame doesn't integrate with the BMW steering wheel controls or head unit display. If you don't mind another screen and remote control, I'd opt for Parrot over Dice...
"Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube" - Hunter S. Thompson
zanth119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
vids_blk323Ci
DFW

My Ride: JB 323Ci SP PP
Send a message via AIM to vids_blk323Ci
very useful inof zanth119 Thanks!

Dinan Stage I S/W | ACS RSB | ///M FSB |UUC TMEs & Pulleys |Ate Slotted Discs | ScanGuageII | RockyMounts MTB Carrrier | OEM Rear Clears | LED Euro City Lights & Rear Fogs | Two-Tone Suede DIY | ACS Pedals | Bimmian Gauge Rings & M3 Face | Smoked Frnt Corners w/ Luxeon LEDs | EAS CF Roundels | JLevi Ti CF trim | Blk Suede shift/ e-brake boots | ECS Smoked Frnt Bumper Reflectors | DICE Duo
vids_blk323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote