E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
nlamoureux

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci Conv
Auto Windows Up or Down Not Working

I have a 2005 330CI Convertible. The electric windows work fine up and down, individually for all four. However none of the four work in "auto" up or down (depressing the window switches all the way should activate the "express" feature , according to the manual). Funny thing is, the "auto" feature works when I use the all windows down switch, so I know something is working. Is there some kind of reset, fuse, or config that will "activate" this feature?

Not sure if it matters, but I also have a "lazy" window actuator on the passenger door that lowers the window upon opening, but not quite enough. This puts window in a bind when door is closed.

Enjoying reading these forums as i am new to BMW ownership and this site...
nlamoureux is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
kib

My Ride: bmw 04 e46 330 vert
try resetting each window think you take to top release switch then
hold switch a couple of seconds.
kib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
nlamoureux

I am hoping there is a way to configure, but i dont understand your instructions. Are you saying i should hold the automatic top switch and the window switch at the same time? I am not clear...please specify if you have an idea on how to reset this config.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Rear windows will not do Express Up (unless you have modified switches), but fronts should have Express Up. Note early cars before a certain build date in '02 or '03 do not have the Express Up, but some claim they can modify and code car to have this feature.

Top up, doors closed, you inside car, key on.

Lower both front windows all the way.

Pull one window switch to fully close window, continue to hold switch in up position for 5 seconds, lower window all the way, fully close window again and continue to hold switch in up position for 5 seconds again.

Lower window half way, then see if Express Up works.

Then do the same for the other window.

If for some reason this does not work, drop both windows, pull fuse #57 for at least 15 seconds, then perform procedure above again.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
nlamoureux

I tried this entire cycle as you described (including fuse pull) on both windows....no change. I noticed a set of fuses for "window up" front/rear (I think that is what it was called). I removed each of them for a minute or so and tried again. No luck. While this is not an "end of the world" loss of funtionality, it is annoying to think some things just dont work. Either stuff is broken on my car, or someone has setup the car to be like this. again, I am a first time BMW owner...is this typpical? I am used to owning a car that comes with options and they always are "on."
Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
There is a programmable option to disable the express up and express down feature as I recall?

You need a problem like the PA Soft BMW Scanner to check and change this feature if it has been turned off.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Rear windows will not do Express Up (unless you have modified switches), but fronts should have Express Up. Note early cars before a certain build date in '02 or '03 do not have the Express Up, but some claim they can modify and code car to have this feature.

Pull one window switch to fully close window, continue to hold switch in up position for 5 seconds, lower window all the way, fully close window again and continue to hold switch in up position for 5 seconds again.

If for some reason this does not work, drop both windows, pull fuse #57 for at least 15 seconds, then perform procedure above again.
^ searched and found this method.

Thanks jfoj ... this worked on our '05 sedan front passenger window. Just the up/down/hold 5 seconds did the trick, no fuse pulling.

Thanks again
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
TMAC

My Ride: E46 M3
I will try this too, I hope it works on my vert
*SOLD*2002 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T
*SOLD*2001.5 Audi S4
*SOLD*2001 Porsche Carrera 4
*SOLD*2001 Audi TT 225 Roadster
*SOLD*1997 Nissan 240 w/Built SR20DET
*SOLD*1996 BMW M3
*SOLD*1990 Nissan 300ZX 2+2
TMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
davecpa

My Ride: 2005 330CIC
I've gone through this twice. It will work but sometimes you have to do the sync procedure about 5 times in a row, then bingo!
davecpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
Thorgs

My Ride: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

It says fuse #57 is for the "Outside mirror". Is that still the one I pull?
Thorgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330ci, auto windows, convertible, working