E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #81
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
well, just for reference, a weight with all that and loaded of between 7 and 8 pounds is really impressive.

An M4, loaded with one 30 round magazine, with sling attached, is (IIRC) 7.5 pounds. 14.5 inch barrel, steel magazine, and strap sling. So if you're in that ballpark with all the extras, like I said, really impressive.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #82
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
well, just for reference, a weight with all that and loaded of between 7 and 8 pounds is really impressive.

An M4, loaded with one 30 round magazine, with sling attached, is (IIRC) 7.5 pounds. 14.5 inch barrel, steel magazine, and strap sling. So if you're in that ballpark with all the extras, like I said, really impressive.
Yeah, my dad was the one that talked me into buying this... He knows a thing or two about guns I tell ya...

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #83
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Btw...I forgot to mentioned this but u do have a cool rifle.

All rifles are cool (already implied) but just want to make sure u don't think I am hating on u.

Going back to the weight...believed it or not but they do make carbon fiber barrel. I don't know too much about it though. I have a steel barrel and one chrome lined barrel.

My comment about the cco was meant to help u. Don't base your setup on what u see on YouTube (so many incorrect things can be found in there). Instead just go to your local range and talk to the range master or military folks.

My beef with YouTube is that all the weapons they show are all pimp out for show and for the cool factor. For example...that one video...does the owner even need that PEQ 4? I don't know why a cilivian would ever need one (ir strobe light and ir laser for target designation).

They also mount their cco in the front and have a co exist iron flip sight. If their cco dies then their backup sight is useless because now they have this huge paperweight blocking their view of vision.

Try this stupid and silly example with me and u will see my point..

Hold your cell phone...6-12 inches away from u. Stare direclty at your cell phone (for tunnel vision effect) and noticed your view of vision.

Do the same thing with your cell phone but put it close to your eyes as possible (or even 1-3 inches away). Stare directly at your phone and notice the view of vision.

If done correctly...the close approach has better view of vision. If your cco is far away...both eyes will focus on your "failed" optics and u will have limited view.

If the cco is close then u will be able to "see through/over/around/etc" your "failed cco.' Only one eye will be somewhat block but your non firing eye will take over and do the searching and scanning for u.

The cco was designed to be shot/view with both eyes opened. I never shot with my non firing eyes close

sent from HTC EVO
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #84
Eliott's-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Btw...I forgot to mentioned this but u do have a cool rifle.

All rifles are cool (already implied) but just want to make sure u don't think I am hating on u.
Dammit!
I think you just talked me out of killing limoncello...
(you're still getting it though)

Last edited by Eliott's-BMW; 03-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #85
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
i am glad we are cool. no hard feelings? wanna pet my cat ?
Of course we are cool, and as I stated before I was never offended. Sorry I will have to decline your offer, I'm allergic to cats. My ex had one in which I had a allergic reaction with. I have a scar tissue on my cornea for rubbing my eyes so hard, which almost medically disqualified me from flying

Quote:

My beef with YouTube is that all the weapons they show are all pimp out for show and for the cool factor. For example...that one video...does the owner even need that PEQ 4? I don't know why a cilivian would ever need one (ir strobe light and ir laser for target designation).
Those two in the video were the owner's of Magpul. They teach tactical carbine courses for everyday civilians to LEO, SWAT, Military, and spec op guys. Train how you fight is the saying of the military. Not sure why Costa still had a PEQ 4, because I'm pretty sure he was out of the military along with any contracting jobs. On the other hand Haley (the second guy), was a Force Recon Marine and worked as a private contractor (believe one was with Blackwater).

Last edited by M3_POWER; 03-25-2012 at 10:09 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #86
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
i have seen worst. i seen people with bi-pods on their AR-15 at the range every time I visit. the AR-15 is not a sniper rifle (max effective range 500 meters for point target) so I am always curious why people put pi-pods on them. I guess it looks cool but it is so impartical.

see..i know a few things about guns
Why is a bipod impractical? Even if you're just shooting prairie dogs at 100 yards they come in handy.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Bimmer
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #87
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Why is a bipod impractical? Even if you're just shooting prairie dogs at 100 yards they come in handy.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Bimmer
this is just my opinion but...

the m4 was design as an assualt rifle for the miitary (especially the manuevering force). You shoot, you move and you communicate. this mean you are trying to out flank and get close to them enough for you to destroy them. therefore, it is very rare that you will stand still in one place to snipe someone or stay long enough to suppressed the enemy.

the M4 (although the can do this) is not design to fixed (supressed) the enemy and not design for sniping (long distance). I always associate bi/tri-pods for weapons that are used for fixing and sniping or even for heavy weapons that needed extra support (such as machine gun or heavy weapons).

so if the guys in uniform wants to fixed the enemy he will use a machine gun. if he wants to reach out and touch the enemey (long distance) he will use a sniper rifle. (again...the M4 can suppress the enemy just like any weapon but how effective is it when it can only hold 30 rounds and only shot in 3 round burst).

so back to your question. for combat (I don't claim to know anything about combat and never served in the military) but I think the pi-pod doesnt fit the roles and design criteria meant for the M4. However, for cilivian uses i think the bi-pod is great for shooting paper targets, cans and parie dogs when time and threat isn't an issue.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #88
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Of course we are cool, and as I stated before I was never offended. Sorry I will have to decline your offer, I'm allergic to cats. My ex had one in which I had a allergic reaction with. I have a scar tissue on my cornea for rubbing my eyes so hard, which almost medically disqualified me from flying

Those two in the video were the owner's of Magpul. They teach tactical carbine courses for everyday civilians to LEO, SWAT, Military, and spec op guys. Train how you fight is the saying of the military. Not sure why Costa still had a PEQ 4, because I'm pretty sure he was out of the military along with any contracting jobs. On the other hand Haley (the second guy), was a Force Recon Marine and worked as a private contractor (believe one was with Blackwater).

i am not claiming these guys don't know what they are doing. what they are doing is impressive and fun to watch but since they work for Magpul they are trying to sell their products. since they are teaching "small arms tactics" they want to make themselves look bad ass as possible by pimping out their guns.

for example...do they really need to have a flash light mounted? yes, it looks cool but do they really need it in the day and while they were filimg this video. the same could be said about the PEQ4 or PEQ2 (in relations to filming this video).

here are some pictures I pulled off the internet of Navy Seal, ODA, and Army Rangers. Noticed how all of they have their CCO mounted as close to their backup/co-exist sight as possible? also, noticed how their weapons are configured for the occassion (ie..no suppressors for non stealthy mission, no flash light for day time ops, etc)

http://mydailyclarity.com/2009/04/mo...ded-for-obama/
http://www.americanspecialops.com/ph...fghanistan.php
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...c7wx6.jpg/sr=1
http://www.americanspecialops.com/ph...r-regiment.php
http://www.americanspecialops.com/ph...my-rangers.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GR...y_SEALs_01.jpg
http://blog.usnavyseals.com/2011/10/...-go-green.html

the m4 is highly modular (due to its pictanny rails system). therefore, it takes less than a nano second (yes..exaggeration) for them to remove and install stuff. one of the biggest complaint with guys in the line is weight. therefore, they don't want to carry uneccesary stuff if they don't have to (due to extra weight).

Last edited by flashmeow; 03-26-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #89
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
check this pic again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GR...y_SEALs_01.jpg

and this

http://www.americanspecialops.com/ph...my-rangers.php

and this

http://www.americanspecialops.com/ph...r-regiment.php

I see weapon mods (flashlights).

I have a flashlight mounted on my self defense AR, and its the same one I train with. His model gun is a Sig Swat, and it comes with a flashlight/vertical grip because its made for that low lighting/nighttimey (yea I make words up)/breaching application. It doesnt matter where you mount that eotech, it has unlimited eye relief. Lots of people with ARs keep it forward so it doesnt interfere with the bolt release. People with AKs have to stick them way farther down. But flash is right, it is wiser to keep it closer to you to increase the field of view, allowing you to engage multiple targets in your optics sight without wasting time/getting situated.

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!

Last edited by Lexie330ci; 03-26-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #90
brew

Quote:
this is just my opinion but...

the m4 was design as an assualt rifle for the miitary (especially the manuevering force). You shoot, you move and you communicate. this mean you are trying to out flank and get close to them enough for you to destroy them. therefore, it is very rare that you will stand still in one place to snipe someone or stay long enough to suppressed the enemy.

the M4 (although the can do this) is not design to fixed (supressed) the enemy and not design for sniping (long distance). I always associate bi/tri-pods for weapons that are used for fixing and sniping or even for heavy weapons that needed extra support (such as machine gun or heavy weapons).

so if the guys in uniform wants to fixed the enemy he will use a machine gun. if he wants to reach out and touch the enemey (long distance) he will use a sniper rifle. (again...the M4 can suppress the enemy just like any weapon but how effective is it when it can only hold 30 rounds and only shot in 3 round burst).

so back to your question. for combat (I don't claim to know anything about combat and never served in the military) but I think the pi-pod doesnt fit the roles and design criteria meant for the M4. However, for cilivian uses i think the bi-pod is great for shooting paper targets, cans and parie dogs when time and threat isn't an issue.
The AR is a light weight, extremely accurate, small centerfire caliber rifle that is perfect for varmint and predator hunting. For most people buying them for non military use, a bipod or monopod makes a ton of sense. I wouldn't blink at seeing one at a range.

Check out http://www.predatormastersforums.com...oard=71&page=1 - this is the Predator Masters AR subforum. The AR is an extremely popular platform for small game (coyote, bobcat, prairie dog, sage rat etc.) hunting. Larger caliber AR's (.308, 6.8) are popular for hogs and deer.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #91
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I have a few thoughts:

1). Why isn't this in the Gun Talk Subforum?

2). Flashtwosix, how come I never see you posting in there?

3). OP, nice rifle. Never been a fan of the Sig platform myself, but it's nice looking. Vertical grip should go though. I'll throw mine in here for the hell of it along with my newest acquisition, my Arsenal Classic AK.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 03-27-2012 at 12:31 PM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #92
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
In "at the same exact time as" JJ
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #93
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
The AR is a light weight, extremely accurate, small centerfire caliber rifle that is perfect for varmint and predator hunting. For most people buying them for non military use, a bipod or monopod makes a ton of sense. I wouldn't blink at seeing one at a range.

Check out http://www.predatormastersforums.com...oard=71&page=1 - this is the Predator Masters AR subforum. The AR is an extremely popular platform for small game (coyote, bobcat, prairie dog, sage rat etc.) hunting. Larger caliber AR's (.308, 6.8) are popular for hogs and deer.
Agree...that is why I bought one for myself. They even make 21 inch model for marksmanship competition...Omg

sent from HTC EVO
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #94
brew

Deleted
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #95
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Can we just delete the entire thread? My god....my head hurts after reading all of this.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #96
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
seccy time!!!!!

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #97
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
This thread is funny...wish we could get it posted on light fighter would love to watch them rip it apart...
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #98
Eliott's-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Can we just delete the entire thread? My god....my head hurts after reading all of this.
At least I was drunk
oh well, no worries...

Old 03-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #99
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Someone backed down from a bet from a woman.

I actually assumed Flash knew something about weaponry given her place of work. Not really surprised.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #100
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Someone backed down from a bet from a woman.

I actually assumed Flash knew something about weaponry given her place of work. Not really surprised.
You actually think someone is really going to give the other person 1k? I don't have anything against her, I just don't think she can do it.