E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
whyzee125

My Ride: 330ci with 3 pedals.
ZHP violent shaking/knocking when cold. PLEASE HELP!

Just bought an 03 zhp sedan w/ 145k and I love the car except this one issue. I've had it about a week now and it drives flawlessly once it's warmed up, but every morning I experience the rough idle and a violent shaking. By the way it's about 80 degrees so it's not an ambient temperature issue. It also makes a knocking/clapping noise until you rev the engine then it goes away. THe first few days I had it, this worked and the noise would stop as soon as this was done. But I went to pull it in the garage this morning and no matter what I did the noise/violent shaking wouldn't go away. The SES light came on, and when I scanned it I got these codes.
P0171
P0174
P0300
P0305
P0303
P0302
P0304

I'm really worried it's some kind of an engine issue, but I really hope I'm wrong. I replaced all the plugs today and it did nothing. I called the previous owner and his response was "don't let it do that bro!". I'm taking it in tomorrow most likely, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

948whp on the butt dyno.

Last edited by whyzee125; 03-25-2012 at 05:36 PM.
whyzee125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
whyzee125

Anyone? Is it okay to drive like this? I think once it's warmed up it'll stop. My initial thought was the camshaft positioning sensor or something, but I'm afraid it may be the whole valvetrain. It just seems weird because once the engine is warm it runs like new.

948whp on the butt dyno.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
asma123

My Ride: 330ci
only two reasons I could think is the vanos or air leak
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
If it was the CPS, it would happen all the time not just when the engine is cold. It sounds more like a leak in the intake. At your mileage, I'm sure the hoses are ready to be replaced. There is an active thread about fixing your cold idle/running issues for under $50.. Something to that effect. The OP of the thread has a great link in his sig that will help you diagnose your issue in detail.
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
whyzee125

I'll check that out. I'll probably be taking it to an Indy, so we'll see what they say. I talked to the guy I bought it from again and he said he took it to the BMW dealer in Orlando and they said "the lifters aren't getting enough oil and all 330's with this mileage do that". That's BS though, I've never ever heard of something like this and I've searched a ton. Most likely they wanted to rip him off and get an extra 4 grand. Hopefully it's something simple like this. My previous e46 always had the SES light on with the p0174 code and it turned out to be a small vacuum leak. That also had a rough idle when cold but not nearly this bad and didn't make any weird noises. Thanks for your opinion, i'll check it out. Anyone else have any thoughts?

948whp on the butt dyno.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
CPS, vacuum leak, secondary air pump failure can cause shaking/weird sounds when cold, severely failed CCV?

What happens if you unscrew the oil cap while the car's running? Does it make honking or other weird noises?

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
Here you go... Plenty of options.. LOL

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
whyzee125

Has anyone else experienced the knocking noise? Seems like a lot of e46's have a rough idle, but the noise is really concerning me. haha

948whp on the butt dyno.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
e4t6

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
I'm having the same problem, minus the noise you describe, with my '01 330i with 169k miles. It doesn't like to sit and idle when started cold. Once driven a few seconds, she purrs smoothly at idle. I'm needing to replace my VCG (a second time in the near 170k miles), so I'll tackle the CCV and its related hoses at the same time. I'll let you know the outcome.

Last edited by e4t6; 03-25-2012 at 07:50 PM.
e4t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Daydream M3

My Ride: 2004 330ci, 1997 M3
I just recently had this problem fixed. Cold start ups occasionally would manifest this knocking noise as if the it was excessive flywheel chatter noise and really shaky.

Turned out to be an air idle controller and a faulty ignition coil so get those looked at.

You are describing the exact symptoms I had about a month ago. Have not had any since then.
Daydream M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
whyzee125

just got it back from the shop. they charged me $455 to diagnose it and replace the ccv and all hoses. SES light is off and it runs much better, but i still get the knocking on cold start for a few seconds. no oil light, and it's not a lifter tick. doesn't sound like a rod knock either, really doesn't sound like an engine noise. the mechanic said to put some oil stabilizer in just to see if it changes anything but he doubts it's anything internal. any other thoughts? i'll keep you all posted
thnks

948whp on the butt dyno.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Can't say for sure I am correct on this, but search flywheel noise/loose flywheel and see what you can find.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
whyzee125

Just got my fuel filter replaced because the ses light came on again, and now it's running even smoother. I haven't gotten the noise for about a week, but tonight I started it up for the first time in 2 days and it did it again. Here's a video of what it sounds like:

Not my video but it's the same noise. The funny thing is I've found about 3 or 4 videos of this noise and every one is on a ZHP, never a regular 330. What do you guys think?

948whp on the butt dyno.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Have you checked the condition of your oil? You've only had it a week and you were probably told something like "it's all good," but I wonder about the oil...

It doesn't sound like a pulley issue, but that intermittent tapping might be an issue with that...pulley(s) hanging up and/or a bad tensioner...look to see if belts are running flat between pulleys.

It's really hard to isolate sound on the internet, you know. Take a 5' section of garden hose and see if you can isolate the source of the sound.

If it's above the cylinders, consider running techron for a couple of tanks. At your mileage, you'd hope plugs have been done, but who knows.

I'd start hunting this sound down, but also, would start getting to work on taking care of maintenance items you know you'd need to do anyway.

That intermittency, though, makes me think lubrication for some reason and/or dirty valves...but that's only a sense...not a diagnosis.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
When you get a new car its always good to run a tank or two of injector cleaner.

The fact that a fuel filter helped a lot probably perhaps means cleaning out the injectors would also help some?
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
duckloads

My Ride: 2001 325i
Don't use any oil stabilizer. What about any good synthetic oil needs stabilized? My guess is your DISA. That's what my rattling was upon startup.
duckloads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
whyzee125

I did end up running some oil stabilizer but it didn't do anything. I'll probably change my oil again because I don't want that stuff in there if it's not doing any good. Oil was changed 3,000 miles ago. I changed the plugs the day after I bought it, and the mechanic ran some injector cleaner in it. The car runs perfectly aside from this, and even when it makes the noise now the idle remains smooth. Giving it just a little gas makes the noise temporarily go away, but if the car is not under a load it sometimes comes back. It generally does it about 30 seconds after cold starts. If I take off right after I start it I never encounter the noise. It doesn't seem to be a big deal, but I'm still a little concerned. Any other thoughts? I'll try the garden hose thing to try and see where the noise is coming from. I'm not sure about the disa valve, but now that you mention it right at 2200 rpms I get a slight rattle if the windows are down, which sounds like it could be the disa. It's so quiet I didn't even think about it till you mentioned it, but I'll look into that as well. Besides fuel filter, ccv, plugs, disa, and vanos, what else should be done at this mileage?

948whp on the butt dyno.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
At this point it seems like guess-work, but I'll throw in some suggestions:

Gumout All-IN-One
Treat yourself to 93 octane gas
replace fuel pump
ignition coils
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
jlaroc1990

My Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
just like Sweetness ^ my guess would be

vanos rattle
jlaroc1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
John,s 330 xi

My Ride: 02 330xi
I just had rough idle issues checked hoses and the airboot ripped repaired boot till i get new one the cleaned maf sensor idle issues went away then driving to stop had a hard clunking feel when rpms got down pass 800rpms got on this site and found out that another 330 owner had same problem with his 330 and it was the idle control valve ,checked mine and sure enuff my was broken going tomorow to get it and repair myself check yours just to be safe. when they brake they can cause all kinds of misfire codes and vacuem leak codes your car is high mileage so it could be your issue like mine.the dealers/mechanics will only lie and rip you off ! check this site for someone with same issues you might get lucky and find the fix yourself like I did!
John,s 330 xi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold start issue, knocking, missfire, shaking