E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #41
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Oh, boy...

I'd make sure that the M brace really is supposed to be a direct bolt on for non-M.
I have the BMW M3 strut brace installed on my 330Ci.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...68&hg=51&fg=75

Turner Motorsports also shows it as fitting my 330Ci: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-41...ce-e46-m3.aspx
BAVAuto also shows the BMW part fitting the 330Ci:
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #42
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So I looked at Jake's pictures again, and what I originally thought was a bulge on the right tower, I now think is just a scrape or rubbing, not a deformation.

Also, where the alignment pin sits on that side seems to be where it should be...the extra hole looks like it might have been done for a prior installation. I've seen that before where guys need more camber for the size tires they have or something. Also, I have to say that for those who 'clearly' see the studs not being parallel, I'm not seeing that at all--I think some of the impression you might be getting might just be from what I think is called the parallax effect...something like that.

Before you freak out about this, Jake, I think I'd try another strut bar...or maybe a few of us can measure the distances we have between studs across the engine and give you a point of comparison. I'll do that now, and maybe others can too.

Okay, so I measured the distance between the two inside studs...from the inside of both studs, not the bolts...and got exactly 3' maybe plus 1/32nd at most.

Anyone happen to have their cars handy and can do the same measurement. Maybe not conclusive, but might be helpful.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 03-26-2012 at 09:28 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #43
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Ill be back In a sec

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #44
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Oh, boy...

On the right side, I notice, of course, that the alignment pin is off a little bit, and it seems that there's a partial ring of deformation, but I can't say for sure if that's lighting or real.

I think you installed these at IMG, and vaguely recall you talking about the new design of the supports or something. It certainly doesn't seem like they'd be that far off that a correct sized strut brace wouldn't fit, so for one, I'd make sure that the M brace really is supposed to be a direct bolt on for non-M.

How does your car track? Does it seem the alignment is off to you?
Doug, the strut holes are elongated and thus would allow for movement of the alignment pin (that's its purpose)

HTH

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #45
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Doug , Im measuring from one bolt to the next and Im getting 4 Inces and some what , Am I going wrong about this ?

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #46
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
So I looked at Jake's pictures again, and what I originally thought was a bulge on the right tower, I now think is just a scrape or rubbing, not a deformation.

Also, where the alignment pin sits on that side seems to be where it should be...the extra hole looks like it might have been done for a prior installation. I've seen that before where guys need more camber for the size tires they have or something. Also, I have to say that for those who 'clearly' see the studs not being parallel, I'm not seeing that at all--I think some of the impression you might be getting might just be from what I think is called the parallax effect...something like that.

Before you freak out about this, Jake, I think I'd try another strut bar...or maybe a few of us can measure the distances we have between studs across the engine and give you a point of comparison. I'll do that now, and maybe others can too.

Okay, so I measured the distance between the two inside studs...from the inside of both studs, not the bolts...and got exactly 3' maybe plus 1/32nd at most.

Anyone happen to have their cars handy and can do the same measurement. Maybe not conclusive, but might be helpful.

HTH
The studs are clearly not parallel. And I think measurements are going to need to be smaller than that. MM maybe?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #47
dmax

First, I measure between the towers...the inside of the inside stud to the other inside/inside stud...about 3'

Mango, I know the holes are elongated beneath the nuts, but the alignment pins on both seem to be where they should be, notwithstanding that extra mess on the right side.

If you look at all the nuts, though, you'll see that they're obviously not moved much from their factory positions...there's maybe a little shadow around the ones on the right side...maybe 1/16-1/32. I've seen other pictures where you can see how far off the nuts have been moved from original position, and these haven't really been at all.

I'm not seeing the lack of 'parallel' that you're seeing at all...not saying you're wrong, just that I don't see it.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #48
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Theres only two possible scenarios here.

1) Bar is bent

2) Strut towers are bent

Which do you think is more likely?

This is common with all E36 and E46 cars. The sheetmetal forming the strut towers for both generations of 3-Series is simply too thin.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #49
dmax

There are a couple other possible scenarios:

The bar said to be from an M, might be, but not from an e46.

Maybe he tried to install it in one piece, rather than take the ends off first, and thus the extra distance the studs travel inward wasn't enough to get it to fit. The towers are at quite an angle inward. (I know Jake knows a lot, but know that none of us know everything...just saying...nothing personal, Jake!)

Anyway, eventually I'm sure this mystery will be solved! Fingers crossed.

So, anyone else measure the distance between the towers? BTW, I measure to the top of the inside stud. 3' plus 1 mm between them on my car. How about yours?

A recent set

Last edited by dmax; 03-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #50
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
All photos are mushroomed, including Jake's. And you would not feel any vibration whatsoever. That's like saying if your door was dented, you'd feel vibrations. It just locates the spring/strut assembly, it doesn't affect its performance.

Jake, I'm curious how this happened. What struts did you have before and after the replacements five months ago? And did you/do you have reinforcements? I'm thinking the new struts increased the force transmitted to the towers. I'm guessing without reinforcements this is more likely to happen when new struts are installed.

Or do you have coilovers?
It had the oem sport suspension for 108k miles pretty much. I put in new sport suspension with new strut mounts, spring pads, bump stops, etc.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #51
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
It had the oem sport suspension for 108k miles pretty much. I put in new sport suspension with new strut mounts, spring pads, bump stops, etc.
but no strut tower reinforcement plates?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
dmax

Mango,

According to realoem, which shows these plates in the picture, but not the parts list, so I assume it's not for his (or my) car, but you're saying it's possible to fit them, I guess.

Are they oe for certain later models, or other models, do you know?

Also, Jake, did you have the strut bar in three pieces when you tried fitting it? I think you'd lose the 1/2" you were shy if you didn't have it apart. The tops of the studs are closer than the bottoms of them just because of their angle.

Anyway, measure the distance you have and compare to mine or others (if they give them) so you have a point of reference before you get all worried about an issue that may or may not be one.

A recent set

Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #53
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Mango,

According to realoem, which shows these plates in the picture, but not the parts list, so I assume it's not for his (or my) car, but you're saying it's possible to fit them, I guess.

Are they oe for certain later models, or other models, do you know?

Also, Jake, did you have the strut bar in three pieces when you tried fitting it? I think you'd lose the 1/2" you were shy if you didn't have it apart. The tops of the studs are closer than the bottoms of them just because of their angle.

Anyway, measure the distance you have and compare to mine or others (if they give them) so you have a point of reference before you get all worried about an issue that may or may not be one.
They come stock on xi models. Otherwise you needed the "rough road" package to get them from the factory
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #54
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
She drives straight ,She doesnt pull to the left or right.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #55
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Dmax,

Those plates are original equipment on Xi models. Many people have bought them and installed on their cars for added support. They will fit all models as they all use same strut hat. They're very cheap, I got mine from my Dealer for $7.50 a piece

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #56
TerraPhantm

Quote:
I'm not seeing the lack of 'parallel' that you're seeing at all...not saying you're wrong, just that I don't see it.

Those studs should be perfectly parallel to each other. As you can see in the picture, they're not. It's not as significantly mushroomed as other cars, but it is there.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #57
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Yes, DMAX. They're cheap insurance. People have been using those plates for at least a dozen years, especially on the E36/M3s. In fact, they might even be the same part#. EVERY E36/E46 OWNER SHOULD HAVE THESE PLATES.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #58
dmax

So, anybody measure between the inner studs on their towers to give Jake some info beyond just my 3' plus 1 mm distance (to the top of the stud)? This is for Jake...maybe he'll allow totally inappropriate threads if we help him out!

Terra, I don't think your lines are parallel with the studs...close, but your drawing seems a little off to me...nothing personal!

Mango, I seem to recall some having issues with the studs not being long enough for the strut braces...maybe because of things like these plates. Is there a different mount for the strut that includes longer studs?

A recent set

Last edited by dmax; 03-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #59
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

I also don't get why peoples engine bays are so dirty! My engine bay and especially strut towers are 100% clean. you wont find any dirt hiding in any corners! I wash my engine at least twice a month though... HAH!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #60
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
So, anybody measure between the inner studs on their towers to give Jake some info beyond just my 3' plus 1 mm distance (to the top of the stud)? This is for Jake...maybe he'll allow totally inappropriate threads if we help him out!

Terra, I don't think your lines are parallel with the studs...close, but your drawing seems a little off to me...nothing personal!

Mango, I seem to recall some having issues with the studs not being long enough for the strut braces...maybe because of things like these plates. Is there a different mount for the strut that includes longer studs?
Jake doesn't need any info. His towers are bent. The bar doesn't fit. Nothing could be more obvious. He just needs to hammer them back in

OVER A MILLION VIEWS