E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #61
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

Terra, I don't think your lines are parallel with the studs...close, but your drawing seems a little off to me...nothing personal!
Yeah I just caught that. Updated picture should be closer
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #62
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I also don't get why peoples engine bays are so dirty! My engine bay and especially strut towers are 100% clean. you wont find any dirt hiding in any corners! I wash my engine at least twice a month though... HAH!
You live In Cali where theres no snow or salt , Simple as that

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #63
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Here's the thing...those studs aren't on the tower, they're on the new strut Jake mounted. I'm not sure your back stud has enough showing in the picture to get a straight line through it...but still, the mount for the strut itself is pretty beefy stuff...I'm not sure how they'd be bent anyway...though I guess you're saying miles and miles over bumpy roads at speed would be enough. Maybe with a new, stiffer strut making it more likely.

I'm still thinking that the simplest explanation is that when he mounted the bar, he didn't mount the supports separately from the bar, but we'll know when he reports back.

In any case, it sounds like the worst for him might be adding those supports and getting an alignment...and I suppose, if he really wants a strut brace and they don't fit, just open up the adjustment a bit on the bar as a last case solution.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #64
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
You live In Cali where theres no snow or salt , Simple as that
Not that simple. I ate breakfast off my engine this a.m.! Bet mine is as clean as Mango's!

You measure again, 323I00?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #65
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Not that simple. I ate breakfast off my engine this a.m.! Bet mine is as clean as Mango's!

You measure again, 323I00?
lol that shiit in your engine is dirt. has nothing to do with east coast. wash your engine!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #66
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

meant to quote 323i00

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #67
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Here's the thing...those studs aren't on the tower, they're on the new strut Jake mounted. I'm not sure your back stud has enough showing in the picture to get a straight line through it...but still, the mount for the strut itself is pretty beefy stuff...I'm not sure how they'd be bent anyway...though I guess you're saying miles and miles over bumpy roads at speed would be enough. Maybe with a new, stiffer strut making it more likely.

I'm still thinking that the simplest explanation is that when he mounted the bar, he didn't mount the supports separately from the bar, but we'll know when he reports back.

In any case, it sounds like the worst for him might be adding those supports and getting an alignment...and I suppose, if he really wants a strut brace and they don't fit, just open up the adjustment a bit on the bar as a last case solution.
The strut mounts can and do get bent. That's why they have to be replaced when repairing the towers (otherwise they'll simply conform back to the mushroomed shape). Look at Genuity's post on page 2.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #68
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Oh, boy...
On the right side, I notice, of course, that the alignment pin is off a little bit, and it seems that there's a partial ring of deformation, but I can't say for sure if that's lighting or real.
It certainly doesn't seem like they'd be that far off that a correct sized strut brace wouldn't fit, so for one, I'd make sure that the M brace really is supposed to be a direct bolt on for non-M.
Tower looks mushroomed some. Even if mushroomed most braces would still fit.
Quote:
Also, where the alignment pin sits on that side seems to be where it should be...the extra hole looks like it might have been done for a prior installation. Also, I have to say that for those who 'clearly' see the studs not being parallel, I'm not seeing that at all-
Yes it seems someone elongated the one alignment pin hole. But does appear to be back in it's original spot.
The mount studs are not at "Right Angles". This can be tapped into correct right angles and if the bolt holes to stud were the issue it didn't fit that would be solved. The studs are often out of place, not too uncommon.
Now if the strut mount is also bent to cause the incorrect Right Angles then the mount would need to be bent back too along with the tower.

Quote:
Doug, the strut holes are elongated and thus would allow for movement of the alignment pin (that's its purpose)
Actually the alignment pin would need to be knocked out to move in the elongated tower holes. The pin centers/sets them all. The alignment pin's hole is not elongated and thus is prescise.
Quote:
Mango,
According to realoem, which shows these plates in the picture, but not the parts list, so I assume it's not for his (or my) car, but you're saying it's possible to fit them, I guess.
Are they oe for certain later models, or other models, do you know?

Also, Jake, did you have the strut bar in three pieces when you tried fitting it? I think you'd lose the 1/2" you were shy if you didn't have it apart. The tops of the studs are closer than the bottoms of them just because of their angle.
oh my doug..where have you been Info about reinforcement plates have atleast a dozen long lists of threads. The XI and Rough Road package have them standard. Yes they are a direct fit. Except the M3, which needs to be trimmed a tad.

I wondered the same, how was the bar test fitted to determine it wouldn't fit?

Quote:
People have been using those plates for at least a dozen years, especially on the E36/M3s. In fact, they might even be the same part#. EVERY E36/E46 OWNER SHOULD HAVE THESE PLATES.
E36 have their own different part for the plates than the E46. Here is a photo of the E36 ones, you can see the distinctive center ring extending up.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...utplate_lg.jpg
comared to E46
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...utplate_lg.jpg
Quote:
I seem to recall some having issues with the studs not being long enough for the strut braces...maybe because of things like these plates. Is there a different mount for the strut that includes longer studs?
There are longer studs that can be used if an issue arrises on those rare occasions. But the M3 brace fits with the plates with oe strut mounts. Some aftermarket mounts had shorter studs.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #69
dmax

Thank you Alex. BTW, 'where have I been'? Not reading about Xi and off-roading bmw threads!

A recent set

Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #70
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

That is correct, I couldn't see the pics since I'm firewalled at work and I just assumed the alignment pin was knocked out. I had to view the pic with my phone. Of course I know this

But yes if knocked out, the strut would be free to move about the cabin (southwest commercial)

And good to know E36 and E46 are different.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #71
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Yes. Meyle mounts have short studs. Ridiculous!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #72
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Thank you Alex. BTW, 'where have I been'? Not reading about Xi and off-roading bmw threads!
Busy painting your tires!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #73
Alex323Ci

Quote:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...re+inforcement
Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #74
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

He's been busy alright--with his parts guy! (don't ask!)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #75
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Not to threadjack (still related to strut bars!), but what is your guys opinion on Whiteline products?

See my thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=911903

Last edited by katu; 03-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
katu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #76
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Idea:

If a strut tower is mushroomed and somehow we manage to return it back to its original shape, this would definitely become an issue as metal fatigues. If such thing happens, wouldn't be wise to weld the reinforcement plates from below instead of using the standard 3 strut nuts to sandwich them between strut hat and inner tower? I was thinking about that when I installed mine, but since I didn't have any mushrooming I didn't go ahead to do it
Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #77
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Idea:

If a strut tower is mushroomed and somehow we manage to return it back to its original shape, this would definitely become an issue as metal fatigues. If such thing happens, wouldn't be wise to weld the reinforcement plates from below instead of using the standard 3 strut nuts to sandwich them between strut hat and inner tower? I was thinking about that when I installed mine, but since I didn't have any mushrooming I didn't go ahead to do it
I believe user PEI330 did this to his E46 build over on another forum. Not sure if I can say the other forum name but just google it. you can see pics of the entire build there.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #78
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Idea:

people just sandwich the plates(as you said) but there are holes there to pop rivet in place. bmw even sells the rivets

i'm sure you could weld into place for those that are completely damaged. but these work to displace some of the forces. that's why a top brace with a larger covering top is also a good idea.

the M3 strut mounts are pretty good design to help displace some of the tower forces in the M3. add that they have a strut brace is even better. but as you've seen in posted photos earlier of M3s, it's the shape of somecamber plates that cause the cracking in the M3 towers. they're not as wide and cut into the strut tower mount from underneath.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #79
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
@ E46Mango
What would you recomend as a detergent ? Youre 101% right It Is dirty and does a need a deep clean.

Im thinking a pre steam to loosen the grime and etc , Then followed bye a strong detergent with a pressure wash and some WD40 to lubricate the metal and etc.

@DMAX
Am I measuring from top screw to top screw ? Cause If so Im pulling a 4 and 1/2

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar

Last edited by 323I00; 03-26-2012 at 05:35 PM.
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #80
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
@ E46Mango
What would you recomend as a detergent ? Youre 101% right It Is dirty and does a need a deep clean.

@DMAX
Am I measuring from top screw to top screw ? Cause If so Im pulling a 4 and 1/2
Simple green, water, and a toothbrush is more than fine. Wipe dry with microfiber. If you're extra dirty or have oil stains/leaks, use a can of auto parts store degreaser.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS