E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
speed12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saihat
Posts: 33
My Ride: E46 M3 HPF, E36 M3
HPF E46 M3 or E92 M3 !!?

hey guys,

I would like to share with you this topic, what is your opinion !

to have HPF E46 M3 or E92 M3 with future mods ?

__________________


E36 M3 1997 Dakar Yellow
E46 M3 2005 Carbon Black (HPF)
E46 M3 2006 Imola Red..(Memories)

Last edited by speed12; 03-25-2012 at 06:13 AM.
speed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
j_block
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SA TX
Posts: 1,239
My Ride: 2003 325i
HPF FTW!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
__________________
j_block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
325inthe510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Best Coast
Posts: 6,296
My Ride: 152ci of madness
335i with mods
__________________

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
335i with mods
Your sig is pretty biased, how does an E90 look less mean than a bland E36?
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
HyeWarrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 2,831
My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Your sig is pretty biased, how does an E90 look less mean than a bland E36?
Your sig is pretty biased too... Covering up those breasts and all
__________________

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
cityjohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,339
My Ride: 2001 M3
Lots of bias here

I'm pretty sure that the E92's body and engine both weigh more. I'd personally prefer a fast 6 over a heavy 8.
__________________
cityjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Lots of bias here

I'm pretty sure that the E92's body and engine both weigh more. I'd personally prefer a fast 6 over a heavy 8.
Ironic about bias, the E92 M3 V8 engine is lighter than the E46 M3 I6 engine... Lighter and faster than it's predecessor.

Stop posting up speculation, your post should really say:

"I would rather have a fast light V8 over a heavy I6"
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.

Last edited by v8 5; 03-25-2012 at 05:04 AM.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
speed12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saihat
Posts: 33
My Ride: E46 M3 HPF, E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Total IGNORANCE, the E92 M3 V8 is lighter than the E46 M3 I6...
Actually it says in Wikipedia that the E46 M3 Curb weight is (1,549 kg) and the E92 M3 coupe is (1,680 kg) !

So I think it is not that much in weight though.
__________________


E36 M3 1997 Dakar Yellow
E46 M3 2005 Carbon Black (HPF)
E46 M3 2006 Imola Red..(Memories)
speed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
Actually it says in Wikipedia that the E46 M3 Curb weight is (1,549 kg) and the E92 M3 coupe is (1,680 kg) !

So I think it is not that much in weight though.
First, that's total car weight, and last time I read my BMW manual it includes 2 150lb passengers and half tank of gas.

Engine vs engine, the E92 V8 is lighter and produces much more power than the heavier E46 M3 I6.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
speed12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saihat
Posts: 33
My Ride: E46 M3 HPF, E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
First, that's total car weight, and last time I read my BMW manual it includes 2 150lb passengers and half tank of gas.

Engine vs engine, the E92 V8 is lighter and produces much more power than the heavier E46 M3 I6.
Yes I agree with you about the engine weight.

but how about if we talk F/I between a supercharged E92 M3 vs HPF E46 M3 !
__________________


E36 M3 1997 Dakar Yellow
E46 M3 2005 Carbon Black (HPF)
E46 M3 2006 Imola Red..(Memories)
speed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
Yes I agree with you about the engine weight.

but how about if we talk F/I between a supercharged E92 M3 vs HPF E46 M3 !
It's sort of an irrelevant question because no aftermarket forced induction car is built the same, but to break it down - the E92 was built to be a faster car stock and F/I'ed.

Review of the internal specifications and mechanics reveals so.

Are there F/I'ed E46 M3's that can "take" a F/I'ed E92 M3? Yes

but what cityjohn posted up was your typical internet message board babble backed by no facts other than what his brain makes up.

You're starting off with two cars, one with an 8 year lead in F/I development & one that's a "better" base platform coming equipped with a lighter and faster "out of the box" V8.



__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
speed12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saihat
Posts: 33
My Ride: E46 M3 HPF, E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
It's sort of an irrelevant question because no aftermarket forced induction car is built the same, but to break it down - the E92 was built to be a faster car stock and F/I'ed.

Review of the internal specifications and mechanics reveals so.

Are there F/I'ed E46 M3's that can "take" a F/I'ed E92 M3? Yes

but what cityjohn posted up was your typical internet message board babble backed by no facts other than what his brain makes up.

You're starting off with two cars, one with an 8 year lead in F/I development & one that's a "better" base platform coming equipped with a lighter and faster "out of the box" V8.



well my question was is it a good idea to have HPF E46 M3 or just try to go to the new E92 M3 generation road + making it supercharged in the future to be fast as the HPF E46 M3

What is your opinion if you have these two choices ?
__________________


E36 M3 1997 Dakar Yellow
E46 M3 2005 Carbon Black (HPF)
E46 M3 2006 Imola Red..(Memories)
speed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
HiHoBrian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,103
My Ride: 05 M3
The e46 M3 is a legend,the best,the pinnical of advancement of daily drivable sports cars. I have one. I love it. With that out of the way,get an E92. It's newer.
__________________
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,456
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
What do you want? Something that's more raw, and will scare your pants off, and less comfortable, but more engaging to drive? Get the E46M. If you're just looking for a nice cruiser around town with some good grunt behind it, get the E92M
__________________
Chris
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,053
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
save your money, buy a Boss, be faster than both
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
save your money, buy a Boss, be faster than both
Lol, wrong again, Boss can keep up with an F/I M3 but is not an F/I M3 destroyer. Two very different cars too. I like Mustangs but would never want to own something Daddy's 16 year old football star just got.




E9X platform is the last "N/A" M3 series too, next one will be F/I stock.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.

Last edited by v8 5; 03-25-2012 at 10:47 AM.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
illestminimike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Covina CA
Posts: 4,033
My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
The e46 M3 is a legend,the best,the pinnical of advancement of daily drivable sports cars. I have one. I love it. With that out of the way,get an E92. It's newer.
This was funny. Haha.
__________________
-2005 SMG ZCP Coupe
-1967 Mini Cooper
illestminimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
djnekkon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Paterson, New Jersey / Orlando Florida
Posts: 15,926
My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
E92
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
325inthe510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Best Coast
Posts: 6,296
My Ride: 152ci of madness
I believe this picture is appropriate

But replace the v6 mustang with a used e46 m3!

__________________

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,053
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Lol, wrong again, Boss can keep up with an F/I M3 but is not an F/I M3 destroyer. Two very different cars too. I like Mustangs but would never want to own something Daddy's 16 year old football star just got.




E9X platform is the last "N/A" M3 series too, next one will be F/I stock.
lol, wrong again. Remember that a Boss 302 and E9X M3 are nowhere near the same in price. Unless you want to go used on the M3.

And your video isn't a Boss. It's not even a new body style.
__________________

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 03-25-2012 at 02:04 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use