E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
aux fan troubleshoot

After a front end accident, ive been replacing parts in my engine bay. I ordered a bosch aux fan and plugged it in to find that it doesnt work. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I turned A/C on and the fan doesnt spin. Does anyone know the name of the black box that clips onto the aux fan? Its not the relay that comes with the fan. Its cracked and some of the plastic is broken off so maybe thats the problem? My outside temp sensor also isnt working, could this have anything to do with why the aux fan wont turn on?
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo View Post
After a front end accident, ive been replacing parts in my engine bay. I ordered a bosch aux fan and plugged it in to find that it doesnt work. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I turned A/C on and the fan doesnt spin. Does anyone know the name of the black box that clips onto the aux fan? Its not the relay that comes with the fan. Its cracked and some of the plastic is broken off so maybe thats the problem? My outside temp sensor also isnt working, could this have anything to do with why the aux fan wont turn on?
The box is your AUC sensor and has nothing to do with the fan. You may have gotten a china re box Bosch fan. Have you verified power and ground to the AUX fan?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I am 90% confident that your electric fan only comes until certain conditions have been met by the DME. To test whether the fan is working you can always connect the power and ground directly to a 12v source and see if the fan will spin.

good luck!
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

I will try to hook it up to a 12 volt tomoro, I bought it off a popular site autohausz or something like that so I hope its not china made. Can I take a voltmeter to the pos/neg leads on the plug going to the fan to check for current?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
I will try to hook it up to a 12 volt tomoro, I bought it off a popular site autohausz or something like that so I hope its not china made. Can I take a voltmeter to the pos/neg leads on the plug going to the fan to check for current?
Yeah. You could to check voltage. I wouldn't recommend attempting to test amperage.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Yeah. You could to check voltage. I wouldn't recommend attempting to test amperage.
whats the easiest way to check if theres power going to the fan from the car? I dont know much about currents..
Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Find a volt meter(multi-meter, or whatever you want to call it) and put it on a like 20 volt setting. a car could be at 14 volts or more when running, so a 12v setting would be too low.

Testing the fan with a 12v source would be a good idea, too. Just keep in mind you may need a fairly significant source of energy, like a car battery.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

i just realized that there is probably no current going through the wires until the car sends it to engage right? Is the only time the aux fan kicks in when the coolant is getting hot?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Just wanted to say it would have been better if you bought an electric fan to ditch your aux and mechanical fans. Then tackle the problem you have now.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Quote:
i just realized that there is probably no current going through the wires until the car sends it to engage right? Is the only time the aux fan kicks in when the coolant is getting hot?
I have NEVER had my aux fan come on in the winter months. If you want to 'force' a test, take your mechanical fan off and go for a spin. But keep the fan and tools in the trunk just in case. If the needle even moves a hair past 12-o-clock pull over immediately, shut off the engine, and put the mechanical fan on while the heater is running full blast.

But really, should have done an electric fan conversion. I have one sitting in my garage right now. It's going in next week.

Last edited by deadwood83; 03-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.
deadwood83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Just wanted to say it would have been better if you bought an electric fan to ditch your aux and mechanical fans. Then tackle the problem you have now.
i have the stock electrical pusher fan that comes on the manual 323is. if i put anything else in i think it will throw codes. i think i misused the aux term
Old 03-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #12
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Im trying to find out if theres a way to force the fan on without the needle needing to pass 12 o clock? is the only way to test if the fan works to idle until it gets warm enough for the fan to kick on?

Last edited by Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo; 03-17-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Jrob1

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
What ever happened with your situation? I recently had the same issue and bought my fan from AutohausAZ as well and nearly overheated my car because the fan never spins. I am getting good power to the fan, but it never turns on. I have the suction fan though.

2003 Jet Black 330i
- Headers; Rogue Ikon Exhaust; 3.46 Diff; UUC SwayBarbarians; StrutBarbarian; Evo III SSK w/DSSR and Weighted Knob; UUC Lightweight Flywheel and Performance Organic Clutch; AFE Intake; MTechII Bumper; Dinan Stage II Software; 8000k HID Fogs, Predator Orion; M3 Lip Spoiler; ACS Roof Spoiler; Beyern Mesh 19" Wheels w/Hankook V12 Tires; LED smoked lights; Tri Stitch M3 Wheel; LED Interior Lighting; DICE
Jrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

pm'd