E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
klukie12

My Ride: 01 330i
Help!!! Hid on off

hi guys.

i have 2001 330i. the hid lights are acting funny. when i have my lights on they are flashing on and off both at the same time, about every few min. i was driving when i noticed it and thought id might be a loose connection and bumps could be aggravating it. but got home and checked the connection while parked it continued.
i have had the car for almost 5 years and never changed the hid bulbs. in the past the passenger side hid would go off. then i would turn my lights off and on again and it would be fine. that would happen frequently for about a day or so. then go away for a few months so i would forget about it and never get it looked at. i am about to replace the bulbs as well, cause they look like they are dead. but im sure there is much more wrong.
i taked to bmw they want 140.00 to do an hour of trouble shooting at least and does not guarantee they will find it in that time.

also my turn signals are acting funny as well. some times it will flash like a bulb is out and blink fast but the bulb is on. then while its still on slow down..

thanks so much you guys are always a big help!!!!!
klukie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
What color do the hid bulbs look like? purple?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
klukie12

My Ride: 01 330i
one looks like a faint blue and the other is a dull soft white.

i just found some info on a tail light issue for e46 sedan i think thats my problem.
klukie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Juliopinto03

My Ride: 2000 328i
What's is you find with your sedan tail light issue?i have the exact problem on my 328i 4 door with the blinker and the HiD's flashing
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
clovold

My Ride: '99 328i sedan
The common cause seems to be a bad ground in the tail light assembly. I tried that fix, but it didn't help. I pulled the bulb that was intermittent and just lived with the warning light on for a while. I figured it was either wiring fault or a bad LKM. Things have gotten worse now. The dashboard backlight stays on all the time (even when the car is off) and if I turn the headlights on they strobe constantly, a couple times a second, as soon as I turn on the key.

Ugh.
clovold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Juliopinto03

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovold View Post
The common cause seems to be a bad ground in the tail light assembly. I tried that fix, but it didn't help. I pulled the bulb that was intermittent and just lived with the warning light on for a while. I figured it was either wiring fault or a bad LKM. Things have gotten worse now. The dashboard backlight stays on all the time (even when the car is off) and if I turn the headlights on they strobe constantly, a couple times a second, as soon as I turn on the key.

Ugh.

Found #3 looking burnt and it seemed that the brown wire receives to much heat therefore causing it to send I'm corrects signals to the dash.

Last edited by Juliopinto03; 12-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Juliopinto03

This stopped mine from flickering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356560848.590328.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	483498   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356560864.376549.jpg