E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsteg View Post
Want to give me a quick run down as to why? Also, where to purchase said nuts?
quality. dealer.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
quality. dealer.
Fair enough, thanks.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Quote:
quality. dealer.
I don't understand this. If the Meyle control arm itself is of high quality, shouldn't the hardware provided be of equal quality?
What evidence do you have to support that the Meyle nuts are inferior to the OE BMW ones?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #24
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaSix View Post
I don't understand this. If the Meyle control arm itself is of high quality, shouldn't the hardware provided be of equal quality?
What evidence do you have to support that the Meyle nuts are inferior to the OE BMW ones?
None. I used the Meyle ones. The threading was very good on the nuts. This size nut and bolt combo could easily hold several e46s in the air. I'm not concerned in any way.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Not necessarily. Often times aftermarket companies toss in cheap hardware. Just enough to get you by. There's been discussions on the quality differences between Meyle and Genuine nuts. The quality difference is night and day. The Meyle nuts feel and look super super cheap relative to their control arms which feel and look very nice. BMW nuts are less than $10. Good safety precaution, if you ask me.

As with most things, your call

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
None. I used the Meyle ones. The threading was very good on the nuts. This size nut and bolt combo could easily hold several e46s in the air. I'm not concerned in any way.
Eh. This has been discussed on other forums before.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
ImolaSix

Quote:
Not necessarily. Often times aftermarket companies toss in cheap hardware. Just enough to get you by. There's been discussions on the quality differences between Meyle and Genuine nuts. The quality difference is night and day. The Meyle nuts feel and look super super cheap relative to their control arms which feel and look very nice. BMW nuts are less than $10. Good safety precaution, if you ask me.

As with most things, your call
I guess I'll swing by the dealer today since my control arms just came in.

Thanks Mango!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
Mango
A full five stars, son

a 2-second search: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...41&postcount=1

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I guess I'll swing by the dealer today since my control arms just came in.

Thanks Mango!
you won't regret it. the BMW nuts are VERY very nice. having four in my pocket almost made my shorts fall off very very heavy duty feeling/looking.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #30
WDE46

Quote:
Eh. This has been discussed on other forums before.
Mind linking? I am very interested to read the threads. Does someone have an actual material comparison or test. If not it is all speculation. You can't really say the BMW ones just "feel" better when you hold them. Materials are deceiving.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Mind linking? I am very interested to read the threads. Does someone have an actual material comparison or test. If not it is all speculation. You can't really say the BMW ones just "feel" better when you hold them. Materials are deceiving.
you're really going to argue over $10? who the hell is going to send nuts to a lab to do testing? hold the two side by side and you tell me if you perceive any difference. apparently, you haven't.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
WDE46

Quote:
you're really going to argue over $10? who the hell is going to send nuts to a lab to do testing? hold the two side by side and you tell me if you perceive any difference. apparently, you haven't.
No I'm not arguing over $10. I'm arguing the claim you made that they are inferior. Had I heard about this I probably would have just ordered the BMW ones to be safe as well because, like you said, it's only $10. Now that I have the Meyle hardware installed I am interested to know what concerned people about the Meyle stuff. And yes, I did notice a material difference. The BMW is slightly goldish tinted, probably indicating Grade 8 nuts. The Meyle are shiny metal, might be stainless.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
No I'm not arguing over $10. I'm arguing the claim you made that they are inferior. Had I heard about this I probably would have just ordered the BMW ones to be safe as well because, like you said, it's only $10. Now that I have the Meyle hardware installed I am interested to know what concerned people about the Meyle stuff. And yes, I did notice a material difference. The BMW is slightly goldish tinted, probably indicating Grade 8 nuts. The Meyle are shiny metal, might be stainless.
Well there you go. No i don't have data or spec sheets to prove my assertion. I chose what I chose based on others observations, my observations, and the price of the new nuts.

I don't recall the particular thread where the quality difference was discussed--it was years ago. But if I come across it, i'll let you know.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #34
WDE46

Quote:
Well there you go. No i don't have data or spec sheets to prove my assertion. I chose what I chose based on others observations, my observations, and the price of the new nuts.

I don't recall the particular thread where the quality difference was discussed--it was years ago. But if I come across it, i'll let you know.
I'm going to do research on it because I honestly want to know. I was looking at the BMW genuine on ECS Tuning and those are not gold tinted at all (don't know why mine are). Probably just a high grade steel, but I can't see a car company using less than class 8 hardware. The Meyle's finish might just be a zinc coating for all I know over the same bolt.

I emailed Meyle and asked for material specifications for the hardware they provide. I'm gonna post a thread with the response, if they respond.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-27-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #35
ExcelonGT

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP 6-speed
Earlier this year I had a really bad wheel shake under moderate braking and everyone was convinced it was my control arms. the problem started when I replaced BMW OEM pads and rotors with Stoptech Rotors and Hawk HPS pads at 90k miles. I bought a set of new FCABs thinking that was the problem. however, I decided to ditch the aftermarket brakes and get everything replaced with BMW OE Rotors and pads (through the dealer). the horrible wheel shake vanished right away. Car has 125k miles on it now and braking is still very smooth. I am just now going to replace my FCABs with Meyle HD FCABs. Car is getting KONI Yellows as well this week. Cant wait!
ExcelonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #36
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I am also having this problem, and I do know for a fact it is my brake rotor being the issue. My front-right rotor has a jutter when slowing down. I can hear the brake going "squeak-squeak-squeak" and feel the car kind of...I don't know how to describe it, it's not vibrate but it feels as if it goes faster then slower then faster very subtly. But it does sort of vibrate.

I have new rotors, old pads (but the pads are basically new), just occurred out of nowhere. Wheels are true, I don't think my hub is bent...so I don't know why this is? I've tried bedding multiple times, doesn't seem to fix it.

When I spun my rotor on the driver's right side, I noticed that it felt easier to spin up until a certain point when it met resistance, then got harder to turn, then got easier again.

It's only been a few months since I replaced the rotors. New Meyle HD FCABs are on.

Last edited by Zell; 09-27-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I am also having this problem, and I do know for a fact it is my brake rotor being the issue. My front-right rotor has a jutter when slowing down. I can hear the brake going "squeak-squeak-squeak" and feel the car kind of...I don't know how to describe it, it's not vibrate but it feels as if it goes faster then slower then faster very subtly. But it does sort of vibrate.

I have new rotors, old pads (but the pads are basically new), just occurred out of nowhere. Wheels are true, I don't think my hub is bent...so I don't know why this is? I've tried bedding multiple times, doesn't seem to fix it.

When I spun my rotor on the driver's right side, I noticed that it felt easier to spin up until a certain point when it met resistance, then got harder to turn, then got easier again.

It's only been a few months since I replaced the rotors. New Meyle HD FCABs are on.
maybe your brakes got hot and you held them on the rotor for a while at a stop light and some material got "seared" onto the rotor. not enough for an outright vibration but enough for slight grab at that certain spot on the rotor.

try doing some aggressive braking maneuvers to "scrub" it off.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
ImolaSix

Quote:

What brand of rotors and pads are you using?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Rotors are by BimmerBrakes, pads are unknown. I never looked at them.

I don't brake very hard so I don't think I caused pad buildup in one spot. I was extremely careful of that when bedding.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Rotors are by BimmerBrakes, pads are unknown. I never looked at them.

I don't brake very hard so I don't think I caused pad buildup in one spot. I was extremely careful of that when bedding.
That could be the problem right there. you should know what parts you're installing onto your car. especially items like brake components.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS