E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
ttran

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to ttran Send a message via Yahoo to ttran
DIY: fourth ( 4th) brake light - rear fog lights

disclaimer: the following information is for entertainment only. should you chose to replicate anything listed below, you do so at your own risk. neither i, nor e46fanatics.com will be held liable for your actions.

i was bored last week and decided to wire up some LED's and replace my dim license bulbs. i got started on the project, but realized i needed brighter LED's (i'm still waiting for them to come in =/ ). while i had the trunk lid cover off, i removed the bulb carrier for the reverse light assembly located on the trunk lid. i noticed there was a slot for a bulb in the light assembly itself, but not in the bulb carrier (1). i tried to cut out a slot for a bulb, but quickly realized the material was way too thick for my dremel. i then looked on realoem.com for the euro version and found the part numbers. luckily, they're only about 7 bucks apiece. they came in today and even include both bulbs.

with the new carriers, i decided to add an extra pair of brake lights. i could have wired them up to the license plate light, which would have negated the need to run wires down to the trunk. however, they would just be tail lights, not brake lights. i wanted to wire these new bulbs to the brake lights so they lit up when i applied the brakes. you could also run a wire to a new LCM with a rear fog light button (or just a switch) if you wanted the run these as rear fog lights ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=61&fg=35 ).

materials:

bulb carrier L - 63218374807
bulb carrier R -63218374808
about 4 or 5 feet of 22g stranded wire
soldering iron and solder
panel removal tool
flexible grabber tool

1. remove the trunk lid cover (A). itís held on by grey push rivets. this is where a panel removal tool comes in handy. pry up the center piece and both pieces should come loose. you only need to remove the upper ones - just enough to remove the bulb carriers. the carriers are held on by a tab. pull the tabs down gently and they fall out. disconnect them and set aside.

2. solder a wire from the positive terminal of one bulb carrier to the other (B). i forgot which terminals they were. one side was terminal 3 and the other was terminal 1. from how the positioned them, they're both going to be the lowest of the 3 terminals. follow the red line - this is provides power to the bulb we want to light up. fyi, the brown line provides ground and the blue line provides power for the reverse light bulbs. also, be sure the wire you cut is long enough so you can reinstall both carriers without any tension in the wire. reinstall the bulb carriers.

3. now remove the rubber boot protecting the trunk lid at the lid and at the body C). run a wire from where the trunk lid lights are down to the rubber boot is. it helps if you have some sort of flexible grabber tool like the one pictured.

4. now comes the hard part. you'll have to pull back the right side trunk cover (D). remove the head to the emergency fuel lid pull and the push rivet pictured. run the wire down the boot into the trunk. you can use a wire coat hanger and tape the wire to that, but it may not be flexible enough to get through the bend in the body. i used a really thick solder wire. i also helped to spray WD40 down the boot for lube.

5. remove the rear bulb carrier for the right tail light. use a wire tap to connect it to the brake light power wire (blue and black wire) for the right brake light (E). be sure to solder this wire to the wire that connects to both the bulb carriers you soldered in step 2. thats all there is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	210992   Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	210993   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	210994   Click image for larger version

Name:	C.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	210995  

Name:	D.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	210996   Click image for larger version

Name:	E.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	210997  
ttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
ttran

this only took be about 30 mins, with most of that trying to fish the damn wire down the boot (use WD40 or silicon spray for lube. makes things much easier!). i guess this mod is pretty useless. extra tail/brake lights makes it a lil safer i guess. oh well, i now have an extra pair of tail/brake lights. =) refer to pics for before and after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b - off.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	210998   Click image for larger version

Name:	b - on.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	210999   Click image for larger version

Name:	a - off.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	211000   Click image for larger version

Name:	a - on.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	211001  

Old 01-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
nice work
I think i'm going to try that
thanks for the DIY

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
sc_325i

My Ride: .
this is the DIY i've been waiting for long a** time
thank you
sc_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #5
M3_GTR

My Ride: hates driveways
^lol.. same.. hehe

FOR SALE!
M3_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
e46rhd

My Ride: '99 328i RHD
Erm.. are we not forgetting a diode for each of the lights, so when you do turn the fogs on, the brake lights don't come on as well?..

Unless of course you never use the fogs...
e46rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
ttran

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46rhd View Post
Erm.. are we not forgetting a diode for each of the lights, so when you do turn the fogs on, the brake lights don't come on as well?..

Unless of course you never use the fogs...
well, i'm just using them as brake lights. i don't know why you would wire them up as both, since they come on when i switch on the exterior lights.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
mikepbrooks

My Ride: e46 323i
Send a message via AIM to mikepbrooks
can you show us where to purchase the new bulb carrier that has the hole for the brake light..

You have big shoes on your car ehh? Well i wear size 13 shoes, so what do you think is big on me? Thats right my socks...and what of it!

I like long walks on the beach at sunset and picking flowers to smell them...I hope no one reads this...

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
mikepbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
ttran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepbrooks View Post
can you show us where to purchase the new bulb carrier that has the hole for the brake light..
any BMW dealership.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
mikepbrooks

My Ride: e46 323i
Send a message via AIM to mikepbrooks
there isnt one near me...I need to order online or something

You have big shoes on your car ehh? Well i wear size 13 shoes, so what do you think is big on me? Thats right my socks...and what of it!

I like long walks on the beach at sunset and picking flowers to smell them...I hope no one reads this...

Find me on MySpace and be my friend!
mikepbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
SilverStreakTeg

My Ride: 2006 325ci
Is there like a harness to connect them to your fog light switch? I would want that as fog lights...

www.AlbanyAutoGroup.com Sponsored by: DetailedImage.com
SilverStreakTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #12
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
I have a complete set of the light bulb carrier for sale (left and right).
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
ttran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepbrooks View Post
there isnt one near me...I need to order online or something
pacific bmw used to sell online parts, but now they only do accessories online. i'd go on bmwusa.com to find the closest dealer to you and ask them if they can ship you the parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreakTeg View Post
Is there like a harness to connect them to your fog light switch? I would want that as fog lights...
i don't think a retrofit kit exists with just this harness. you can just make your own by running 1 wire from the rear lights to the LCM
Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 AM   #14
neal

My Ride: TiAg Coupe
Great write up. Here is my result.

neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #15
Gadgetman

My Ride: Porsche Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to Gadgetman
Use Rear Fog Lightsfor Stobe Lights

Very nice write up with pictures.

What I did was use those rear fog lights for my strobe lights. I also put my front stobes on the inner headlights. There is a portion on the upper arear of the inner headlights where I dremeled an opening and installed my front strobes. I still have the highbeam passing lamps if I need to use them.
BMWCCA Member #378630

2008 BMW E60 M5, Space Gray/Silverstone Interior, SMG
Valentine 1
Laser Interceptor
NavAlert
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #16
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Whaaaat that's awesome! Def gotta try that on my ride! Thanks!
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #17
ttran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal View Post
Great write up. Here is my result.
hehe, someone actually tried it. lookin good.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
schnitzer323ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
ttran... can you use LEDs in those inner lights? I have the LED tails like Neal and would not want a regular bulb lighting in those when the tails were LED. I'm sure a resistor would be necessary of some sort? Ideas?
schnitzer323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #19
clinique

My Ride: 06 M3 Vert
nice job!
do u think its the same for sedans?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #20
ttran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzer323ci View Post
ttran... can you use LEDs in those inner lights? I have the LED tails like Neal and would not want a regular bulb lighting in those when the tails were LED. I'm sure a resistor would be necessary of some sort? Ideas?
yes, you would need resistor(s). check this link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=led+resistor

he installed LED license plate lights, but the general procedure would be the same. i don't know what Ohm resistor(s) you would need though

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinique View Post
nice job!
do u think its the same for sedans?
check this link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=63&fg=20

it should be number 9. can't guarantee it though. i would examine your bulb carrier for the part number. if they don't match to the ones listed on that site, then the ones listed are probably the euro version and will have a slot for the rear fog lights. that's how i found out for my car.