E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
1 in 2 adult Americans already in facial recognition network

http://www.vocativ.com/368572/facial...ion-databases/
Study: 1 in 2 American Adults Already In Facial Recognition Network
Quote:
Half of all American adults are already in some sort of facial recognition network accessible to law enforcement, according to a comprehensive new study.

Conducted over a year and relying in part on Freedom of Information and public record requests to 106 law enforcement agencies, the study, conducted by Georgetown Law’s Center on Privacy and Technology, found American police use of facial recognition technology is a scattered, hodgepodge network of laws and regulations.

MOREInside The Government Centers Where The FBI Shares Intel With Police
“Looking at the sum total of what we found, there have been no laws that comprehensively regulate face recognition technology, and there’s really no case law either,” Clare Garvie, an associate at the CPT, told Vocativ. “So we find ourselves having to rely on the agencies that are using that technology to rein it in. But what we found is that not every system — by a long shot — has a use policy.”

That so many American adults are in at least one facial recognition database is largely due to the fact that at least 26 states, and likely more, share their Department of Motor Vehicles databases with the FBI, state police, or other law enforcement agencies, the study found. Compounded with that, police often have access to mugshot databases. Garvie’s study found that most law enforcement agencies don’t purge such records, even if the arrested suspect is found not guilty, unless a court orders it. The sole known exception is the Michigan State Police, which does expunge photos after a set amount of time.

The report also found that more than one in four law enforcement agencies have access to some sort of facial recognition capability, meaning either that the agency possesses such software or it has some sort of partnership with a police intelligence agency that does. The West Virginia Fusion Center, for example, a Charleston-based coalition of federal and local law enforcement, possesses software that matches individuals in video footage with a database of still photographs. Not only does it share information with the FBI, West Virginia State Police, and city and county departments, it may grant access to 77 other fusion centers across the country.

“These systems are used on law-abiding Americans without their knowledge or consent in most cases,” Garvie said.
This is one of those things where half of me can appreciate the usefulness of something like this, and the other half realizes we're in 1984. We're literally being watched by the government at every turn, kinda scary and not very "free".
Old 10-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Everyone will eventually. DMV requires you to take a new picture since they updated their systems. You cant say no....reason why? It has a feature that uses your eyes as fingerprints. Every eye is unique and they are using that to track people now.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Act of God

Who watches the watchers???
Old 10-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Duh, the watcher's watchers!!!
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Stankia

My Ride: F80 M3
Well you better wear a baklava when committing a crime
Old 10-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Well you better wear a baklava when committing a crime
Ah. Delicious, delicious baklava. At the end you could eat the evidence!
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
badfast

My Ride: A car
Crime never tasted so good.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
That stuff is sticky, though. Good luck getting it out of your hair.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
http://www.vocativ.com/368572/facial...ion-databases/
Study: 1 in 2 American Adults Already In Facial Recognition Network

This is one of those things where half of me can appreciate the usefulness of something like this, and the other half realizes we're in 1984. We're literally being watched by the government at every turn, kinda scary and not very "free".
You think it's just Big Gubment that knows every little thing about you? I suspect Big Inc knows 10x as much.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
You think it's just Big Gubment that knows every little thing about you? I suspect Big Inc knows 10x as much.
You're assuming they aren't working hand in hand
Old 10-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #11
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
it's good for catching terrorist, and whether you like burritos or burrito bowls. you know.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:13 AM   #12
Stankia

My Ride: F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Ah. Delicious, delicious baklava. At the end you could eat the evidence!

TIL how it's actually spelled

Last edited by Stankia; 10-19-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote