E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Milwaukee Public Schools: Half a million budgeted for BLM

wat

http://www.newstalk1130.com/onair/co...ives-14706589/
MPS Spending $471,073 on 'Black Lives Matter'
Quote:
Milwaukee Public Schools has included nearly a half million dollars for "Black Lives Matter" in its list of expenditures included the 2017 budget proposal it published in Wednesday's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

mps black lives matter

Interestingly enough, the district plans to spend nearly as much on "Black Lives Matter" as it plans to spend on College Access Centers, Universal Driver Education, and Advanced Studies of World Languages.

"We’re doing this work because national and local studies tell us young men of color in Wisconsin and Milwaukee are more likely to be represented disproportionally in the justice system and less likely to be represented proportionally in colleges and universities," said MPS spokesman Tony Tagliavia.
Tax dollars, unreal

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335d
If it's coming from their local tax revenues, that's their call, but woof.....seems like a high dollar amount.

Present
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
"The specific expenditures, which are also outlined in the budget proposal, are for three social studies teachers ($260,889 for salary and benefits for all three) and staff development (training) for other employees ($210,184)," Tagliavia said. "That brings the total to the $471,073 you mentioned."

This raises several interesting questions about just how this money is being spent.

Since MPS's budget lists Black Lives Matter as a partner organization, will Black Lives Matter have input in this "staff development?" Or will it have a role in hiring or staffing the three new social studies teachers? Moreover, will Black Lives Matter have a role in shaping the curriculum that these teachers use?

Tagliavia insisted that "no funding is going to a Black Lives Matter Organization," saying that "the name speaks to some of the issues raised by the movement, specifically racial disparities in education."

Furthermore, MPS says that it is not partnering with any official "Black Lives Matter" group...only a group of people who espouse the values of the "Black Lives Matter" movement.

Okay then.

Read more: http://www.newstalk1130.com/onair/co...#ixzz48YwOYrxY
Doesn't seem that bad to me. I think it's unfortunate that they chose to attach the BLM name to it, though.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335d
^^^good clarification. I should have clicked the link. The OP made it appear as if money was being used to support the BLM organization directly.

Present
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Act of God

The budget line literally says black lives matter

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Old 05-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The budget line literally says black lives matter
So do you think the guy was lying when he said no money would be going to an outside BLM organization?

EDIT: in all likelihood, the three social studies teachers they will hire will be dyed-in-the-wool SJWs, but that's probably not all that different from most of the teachers they hire anyway.

Last edited by VaderDave; 05-13-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
So do you think the guy was lying when he said no money would be going to an outside BLM organization?

EDIT: in all likelihood, the three social studies teachers they will hire will be dyed-in-the-wool SJWs, but that's probably not all that different from most of the teachers they hire anyway.
I'm just pointing out that a review of the actual budget reads "black lives matter" (according to the article). It isn't misleading if that is what it actually says.

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'm just pointing out that a review of the actual budget reads "black lives matter" (according to the article). It isn't misleading if that is what it actually says.
I think it was a poor choice for the line item, but I'm at least relieved that they don't appear to just be giving money to BLM willy-nilly.

Last edited by VaderDave; 05-13-2016 at 02:30 PM.