E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Elizabeth Warren, POTUS?

While she swears off any intention of running in 2016, this was an interesting article regarding her.

Quote:
The Warren Commission
In a new focus group, voters agreed about one thing: Elizabeth Warren is one of the most intriguing contenders for 2016.

When 12 voters gathered in Aurora, Colorado, for a political focus group on Thursday night, it wasn’t surprising to hear them compete to see who could bash politicians more. “If we got rid of every member of Congress and elected new people tomorrow who had no experience, I don’t think we could do any worse,” said Charlie Loan, who voted for Mitt Romney in 2012. When the group was asked to come up with phrases members of Congress should wear on wrist bracelets, they suggested “Don’t trust me, I lie,” “Looking out for me,” and “Two Faced.”

But one politician escaped the voters’ ire: Elizabeth Warren. Six of the 12 said they would like to have Warren over to their house to talk, more than any other possible 2016 presidential contender they were asked about. They said she was “down to earth” and “knowledgeable.” When asked a separate question about which politician they would like to have live next door, they picked Warren over every other contender as well. Jenny Howard, an accountant with student****** debt who voted for Romney in 2012 and Sen. John McCain in 2008, also liked Warren: “If she ran, she could be the next president because she is personable and knowledgeable and has a good handle on what’s going on in the country.”

Peter Hart organized this Colorado focus group. Hart, a Democratic pollster for more than 40 years, helps conduct the Wall Street Journal/ NBC poll and has been holding these kinds of sessions for the past four presidential elections. The focus group was the first of a series of such two-hour interviews of swing voters that Hart will do leading up to the 2016 presidential election, for the Annenberg Public Policy Center to track how voter sentiment changes.

These people do not represent metaphysical certitude about the country’s political opinion—it’s only 12 people after all—and we are still far from the next election so much can change, but they offer glimpses of the current stirring in the public. Their desire for change, concerns about the economy (despite news that things are better), and interest in a candidate who cares about the middle class have appeared consistently in polls and other voter forums.

The affection for Warren among the group of five self-described independents, three Republicans, and four Democrats may not tell us anything about the Massachusetts senator herself. It’s possible that she is a vehicle through which they are signaling their desire for change, for something authentic and maybe new. Charlie Loan, an IT manager, says he voted the straight conservative line most recent election but he’d listen to what Warren had to say. “The little I have seen and heard from her, she seems genuine—people from [Oklahoma] usually are. Since she was formerly devoted to the Republican Party, maybe she fits in the middle somewhere, which is where I would like to see most of them be. She is clearly well-educated and seems level-headed.”

MORE.
While I generally like Warren, particularly on economic issues, I'm not sure she has the depth to be POTUS and all that involves. I suspect she feels the same way herself.

In any case, I think the idea that the like for Warren is more channeling dislike for the putative 2016 candidates at this point is more relevant.

I think voters want more of a "new car" smell for their 2016 slate than the worn, stuffy old beater lineup currently. Another Bush or Clinton, puleeze. Romney" Again?
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I doubt it will happen. Hillary will run and win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Lair

My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
I don't think she has a chance. The repubs have discovered that Warren claimed to be 1/8th American Indian, and she may not actually have any indigenous blood. This woll be more than enough ammo for the Limbaugh/Levin/Beck/Fox army to blow up into a hanging offense.

Kinda like a consensual heterosexual blowjob performed by an adult, but undoubtedly worse.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Gatriel
Ami in Deutschland

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I doubt it will happen. Hillary will run and win.
We will either have;

President Clinton or President Bush.

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Jeb Bush doesn't stand a chance... But I'll give him credit for speaking more intelligently than his brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Jeb Bush doesn't stand a chance... But I'll give him credit for speaking more intelligently than his brother.
Troof. I think W left a bad Bush taste in everyone's mouth.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Rhumb

Quote:
Well that would be damning Jeb with faint praise.

I actually think Warren's role would be more to pull at least the overall economic discussion center-of-gravity to the left, counter-balancing the supply-side dogma that's been ceded to conservatives for the past thirty years (GOP propounding it in full strength, the Dems a slightly watered-down variety) with, perhaps a more demand-side option.

It's certainly not like supply-side economics have been any roaring success in lifting the fortunes of anyone but the very loftiest of economic heights. Dems have been basically insipid and inarticulate, explaining this in terms only a policy wonk would understand or be interested in. This is especially true for many of those most left flat by tinkle-down economics -- older working class whites who nonetheless seem bent to vote to further tighten their economic noose -- while Warren is very articulate in addressing these issues. She comes off as a thinking man's populist -- well grounded ideas spoken in plain English is a way that directly relates to the average Joe/Jane.

Agree or disagree with her on things economic, I think she's going to prove to be a source for the right to reckon with in challenging the supply-side mantra.

Last edited by Rhumb; 01-12-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
Lair

I hope she stays in Congress. She'll be much more effective there. Warren in the White House will face the same republican obstruction that has been used against Obama.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I hope she stays in Congress. She'll be much more effective there. Warren in the White House will face the same republican obstruction that has been used against Obama.
I'd tend to agree, at least serve out her current term.

An aside, maybe the Dems are getting a bit more spine, voice and coherency about proposing supply-side economic alternatives (not that the hide-bound and didactic GOP would ever consider such supply-side apostasy). At the very least it would force the right to better defend the execrable record of supply-side economics:

Source.

Quote:
In a sharp departure from party leaders’ proposals over the last few years, Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) today announced an action plan to create, in his words, “the kind of economy where the pie is growing and everyone is getting a better slice.”

Van Hollen, the senior Democrat on the House Budget Committee, plans to introduce a series of proposals to create or expand tax breaks for child care, apprenticeship programs, middle class working couples, those who save for retirement, and companies that raise worker wages, while at the same time scaling back the tax break corporations currently claim for CEO bonuses. The plan would be funded by a tax on Wall Street — a tiny fraction of a percentage levied on trades in stocks, equities and derivatives. Long demanded by progressive groups and labor unions, this tax has been introduced many times before but failed to pass even when Democrats controlled both the House and Senate.

“We have a tax code that reinforces the preference for wealth over work. It’s tilted today towards those who make money off of money,” he said. “There are provisions that are only in here only because powerful elites paid lobbyists and succeeded in getting themselves special breaks, like the tax advantages for corporate jets or hedge fund managers.”

In the months following their nearly-across-the-board defeats in the midterm elections, Democrats have increasingly turned to the more progressive, more populist positions that they largely ran away from this fall. President Obama recently made the case for making the first two years of community college free of charge, and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) used her new party leader platform to blast lawmakers from both parties for pushing the further deregulation of Wall Street.

Citing the narrower proposals Democrats have proposed over the past few years — including student loan relief, universal paid sick leave, comprehensive immigration reform, an infrastructure bank, and equal pay for women — Van Hollen told reporters a more ambitious vision is needed to address the country’s “staggering” inequality.

“The average voter out there is feeling the squeeze,” he said. “A lot of the proposals Democrats put forward in the past will help address issue, but they don’t address it with the force necessary to move the line on flat wages. That’s why I’m proposing this new action plan, and I look forward to this debate going forward.”
Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
Lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Troof. I think W left a bad Bush taste in everyone's mouth.
"So did Bill." ~ Monica
Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
Rhumb

Quote:
"So did Bill." ~ Monica
Troof, but at least that was only one mouth :-)
Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Just curious as I'm not doubting a woman could hold the position of POTUS but how would all other world leaders and countries react?

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-13-2015 at 03:16 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Just curious as I'm not doubting a woman could hold the position of POTUS but how would all other worked leaders and countries react?
Ask Merkel?

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Just curious as I'm not doubting a woman could hold the position of POTUS but how would all other worked leaders and countries react?
is that really your #1 concern?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Ask Merkel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
Don't forget 'just a woman' Margaret Thatcher. She probably should have leaned in alot more.

Last edited by badfast; 01-13-2015 at 01:01 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #16
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
bimmerfan08 actually wanted to ask about what happens when a female pres gets her period and starts thermonuclear war.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #17
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Ask Merkel?
Or Thatcher
Old 01-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
Did I state anywhere I was concerned? It was pure curiosity given many other societies aren't as progressive as ours.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
I don't think she has a chance. The repubs have discovered that Warren claimed to be 1/8th American Indian, and she may not actually have any indigenous blood. This woll be more than enough ammo for the Limbaugh/Levin/Beck/Fox army to blow up into a hanging offense.

Kinda like a consensual heterosexual blowjob performed by an adult, but undoubtedly worse.
Clinton didn't get impeached for a BJ, he got impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
Rhumb

Quote:
Did I state anywhere I was concerned? It was pure curiosity given many other societies aren't as progressive as ours.
Guess by that measure, we must be less progressive than Pakistan, India and the Philippines, amongst other 2nd and 3rd world countries that have elected female heads of state. Perhaps we aren't quite so progressive as many would like to fancy us as being.

In any case, per your concern, I would say we treated those progressive female heads of state with all due respect and dignity.

That politics as blood sport instinct still wells up in the rabid right, re Obama, but the GOP adults and pragmatists, few as they might be these days, have fended off these calls recalling the Clinton impeachment debacle.

Last edited by Rhumb; 01-13-2015 at 07:03 PM.