E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Suspension and Braking

Suspension and Braking
Springs, shocks, struts, coilovers, camber plates, sway bars, strut bars, suspension bushings, control arms, brake pads, big brake kits, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
blacksunshine46

My Ride: '03 325i manual
WTB / FT - I Need an Overboosted Steering Rack and/or Luk30- No Joke

I know this sounds crazy, but I need to replace my wonderful linear tight 2003 325i steering rack with a much-hated overboosted rack from 04/99 - 09/01

I recently suffered a permanent injury, and need softer steering or I will have to sell my car - I would rather commit this unthinkable steering sin than drive a different car.

The moreover boosted it the better, I believe 2000 e46s are ideal. part number ending in 438.

I am willing to pay up to $400 depending on how many miles the rack had, and how abused it may have been during its life (honor system I suppose). I'm also willing to pay up to $200 for anyone who would like to help me install it (Northern California). if you sell me the rack, you do not necessarily have to help me install it.

I am also willing to trade my ..xx-065 rack for an over boosted rack. Based on my research, and the general feel of my car, I think I have one of the more sought-after racks that BMW made for the e46. my rack has 64,000 miles on it. according to a realOEM.com I have 32136755065.

there are several sites offering part number 438, but I have heard numerous times that it is very difficult to know what level of steering boost you will get because many sites (and even ZF has been rumored to do this) supposedly just send you any rack from any e46 since most are interchangeable. I am not sure if this is just hearsay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	150.png
Views:	41
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	444385  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Sorry to hear about your injury. I'm local and am interested in this. I have a 2001 325iT (with the boosted steering) and would be interested in this. I'll send you a PM.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
blacksunshine46

glad to hear people are interested. Got your PM - I just sent a reply to the e-mail address you gave me. I've also been talking to Kalim about softening my reverse compression spring. Good to know there are a bunch of active members in the Bay Area.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
i have a rack from my 99 328i, its not the one that came with the car but i think its the same thing. if your interested pm me and i can get the numbers off of it for you
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
blacksunshine46

Hey bdub,

I am definitely interested. So far just you and mtnbound have replied. It would be awesome if you were able to send any reference numbers on the part so I can look them up against the list of overboosted racks.

A less-accurate way to tell, and/or a way to doublecheck, would be to put your last seven digits of your VIN into realOEM.com and check the production date and the part number of your factory-installed steering rack.

If your car was produced after April 1999, it should be over boosted.

My apologies if you already knew all of that information.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
///02bmw325i///

My Ride: audi bmw honda
Send a message via AIM to ///02bmw325i/// Send a message via Skype™ to ///02bmw325i///
Sorry to hear about your injury, but if only you were closer to ohio. I'd be willing to get rid of the one from my 2000 323i Touring for yours, i still have only 85k miles on my car. oh well, bump for you.

00 Audi A6 Stage 3 2.7t

01 E46 325i with a 1jz swap
///02bmw325i/// is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
32136755065, over-boosted, overboosted, rack, steering