E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
unreal_rus

My Ride: e39 530i
M54B30 mixture adaptations

Hello! I'm from Russia so sorry for my bad English
I have an e39 BMW with M54B30 engine. In INPA software I checked an adaptation page. There is a problem in multiplicative adaptation - it's was too low (-6.8%) on both banks, but additive adaptation is nice (0.02). It seems like I have too much fuel in mixture. First I desided that my MAF is bad (I plug it off - and got a better power on low RPM) - so I got a new one (VDO-Siemens) - but nothing changes (it shows correct values 13.5kg on idle run)
Fuel consumption is 15-16 l/100km in city ride with high traffic.
Also I have a new exaust camshaft sensor (BMW original), new O2 sensors (all 4), new ignition coils (BOSCH). I replaced my VANOS seals and rattles repair kits 10000km ago to Beisan System orings.
I checked a fuel pressure - it's OK.
I made a VANOS test in DIS - reaction times is OK, but VANOS leak test failed (+ 25.3 and -25.6)

I recorded some videos of INPA pages to show you.

May be you can tell me what is the problem? I'll be very grateful if you will help me. Thank you!

INPA rough test
INPA O2 sensors
INPA VANOS page
INPA analog values
INPA mixture adaptations
unreal_rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Buy besian system vanos kit, crimp the connector receptacles, update and reset the adaptations again.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
unreal_rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
Buy besian system vanos kit, crimp the connector receptacles, update and reset the adaptations again.
I replaced vanos kit 6000 miles ago...
Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreal_rus View Post
I replaced vanos kit 6000 miles ago...
Well then can't help ya without looking at it.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I dont have much experience troubleshooting "rich codes" (i do know how to deal with lean codes though) but try checking the fuel pressure. I don't have the figers from the top of my head but I think your fuel pressure is 3.5 bar (95% confident). My rationale is that you have a malfunctioning component in your fuel system that is causing you to dump more fuel than what the engine is able to burn.

some other common areas for rich codes are a stuck injectors and dirty air filter (won't let enough air in).

btw...are you running rich on both banks or just one? this is very important. both banks is indicative of a system wide failure (a component that is shared by both banks) whereas a single bank is more isolated.

I hope this helps. good luck
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
unreal_rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I dont have much experience troubleshooting "rich codes" (i do know how to deal with lean codes though) but try checking the fuel pressure. I don't have the figers from the top of my head but I think your fuel pressure is 3.5 bar (95% confident). My rationale is that you have a malfunctioning component in your fuel system that is causing you to dump more fuel than what the engine is able to burn.

some other common areas for rich codes are a stuck injectors and dirty air filter (won't let enough air in).

btw...are you running rich on both banks or just one? this is very important. both banks is indicative of a system wide failure (a component that is shared by both banks) whereas a single bank is more isolated.

I hope this helps. good luck
Fuel pressure is 3.5 both idle and on high RPM.
Air filter changed 7000 miles away, but I bought a new one and I'll replace it in days. Also I'll try to flash a newer DME firmware.
Injectors was cleaned and checked 5000 miles away, it's productivity are equel to each other.
And yes, it's on both banks.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
new//M3fan

Quote:
so cute

Fuel pressure is 3.5 both idle and on high RPM.
Air filter changed 7000 miles away, but I bought a new one and I'll replace it in days. Also I'll try to flash a newer DME firmware.
Injectors was cleaned and checked 5000 miles away, it's productivity are equel to each other.
And yes, it's on both banks.
Update the ecu! It makes a difference specially if you've never updated.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
unreal_rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
Update the ecu! It makes a difference specially if you've never updated.
I'll try to! thanx!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Is the SES/Check Engine light on?
I doubt that you have any codes at the -6.8-8% Long term/mutiplicative fuel trims.
Do you know if the car has had any performance software installed? Shark Injector/Dinan etc.

I see very similar fuel trims (+0.02-0.03 short term/additive and -6-8% long term/multiplicative) in my M54B30 since I installed the BMW Performance Intake and had the Dinan Stage II software installed.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
unreal_rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanneba View Post
Is the SES/Check Engine light on?
I doubt that you have any codes at the -6.8-8% Long term/mutiplicative fuel trims.
Do you know if the car has had any performance software installed? Shark Injector/Dinan etc.

I see very similar fuel trims (+0.02-0.03 short term/additive and -6-8% long term/multiplicative) in my M54B30 since I installed the BMW Performance Intake and had the Dinan Stage II software installed.
No DME errors, Check Engine light off.
Car is full stock.
BTW what can you tell about your intake tuning and performance software? how much performance addjustion did you fell? thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
shanneba

Quote:
No DME errors, Check Engine light off.
Car is full stock.
BTW what can you tell about your intake tuning and performance software? how much performance addjustion did you fell? thanks!
Not much of a performance improvement as far as power. Dinan shows about 5 HP with stage 1, Stage 2 with the intake might be about 8-10 HP. Throttle response is much better. I wanted the top speed limiter removed The only place it might have come into play was the backstretch at Road Atlanta and the straight after turn 3 at Road America.

I can't use the increased red line, I haven't added the Dinan Auto trans software yet, it would work for a manual transmission!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
unreal_rus

What was made:
both catalyst ripped off, DME flashed to euro-2 (2 O2 sensors still presents), intake camshaft sensor replaced (BMW original), adaptations cleared. And multiplecative adaptations still -6.5 on both banks. I don't know what to do next.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
shanneba

Why do you think you need to do something? Do you have a check engine light?

The ECU is able to adjust the air / fuel over a range to compensate for differences in each engine and wear over the life of the car.
If it has to compensate more than a narmal amount you will get a check engine light indicating an issue.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...ptationBMW.pdf

Fuel trim: refers to feedback adfustments to the base fuel schedule. Short-term fuel trim refers to
dynamic or instantaneous adjustments. Long-term fuel trim refers to much more gradual
adjustments to the fuel calibration schedule than short-term trim adjustments. These long term adjustments compensate for vehicie differences and gradual changes that occur over time.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
unreal_rus

adjustment range is -7....+10 for multiplicative. -6.5 is on the verge of good and evil
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
unreal_rus

some news: changed fuel filter, still -6-7 adaptations. But!
I took a look at ignition plug - it have a white electrode. It means that mixture is lean. DME thinks that there is too much fuel incorrectly.
Can it be O2 sensors who gave wrong information to DME?

Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
5eth

My Ride: E46 320Ci
unreal_rus
i have the same problem (multiplicative adaption near -11,1% bank_1 and -9,8% bank_2), did you find any solution?
5eth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #18
unreal_rus

No, the problem still exists. New fuel injectors - no changes.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #19
5eth

My Ride: E46 320Ci
unreal_rus
did you measure oil pressure, check vanos' camshafts correct positions (reference) and check tappets?

P.S. there is one opinion that electromagnetic valve (that opens oil flow to vanos) can leak and make problems... i didn't check this yet

Last edited by 5eth; 11-06-2012 at 05:00 AM.
5eth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Non OEM MAF's are known for at times under reporting the airflow and causing the DME to remove fuel, negative fuel trim values.

This will then actually cause a lean condition.

An incorrect MAF would likely cause your problems.

Can you read and post the Grams/sec at idle from your current MAF. I think about 6 Grams/sec and idle is pretty typical?

Try an borrow or swap a known good MAF onto your car and see what happens.

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote