E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
mickysull158

My Ride: 320td
Exclamation More power with MAF disconnected (HELP)

Gents,
I brought a 320td (130k Miles) last week and found it very dead between 1000 and 2000rpm but fine when the turbo kicks in.. So i disconnected my MAF and she went like a bullet.. Thinking the MAF was the problem, i went and brought a new Bosch one yesterday for 250 and installed it.. Same problem.. Car is dead when connected but runs very well when disconnected.. No idle issues when MAF is either connected or disconnected. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
mickysull158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
vacuum leak?
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
mickysull158

Could you elaborate please?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Arsonist22

My Ride: E46 325 convertible
Have you got any other problems- poor idle or excessive exhaust smoke?

You could Try blanking off the egr valve- the position of the egr valve is determined by the maf sensor reading. They tend to stick on higher mileage vehicles and cause a lot of trouble on lots of diesel engines.
Arsonist22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
mickysull158

Idle is ok but there is alot of smoke when i rev.. Just spend last hour cleaning egr.. It was pretty bad.. But it was to no avail.. When i turn off the engine i do hear so air hissing from somewhere behind oil filter area.. Cant exactly pinpoint it but i can definitely hear air.. Cheers for reply
Old 05-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Arsonist22

Check all you inter cooler pipes and the pipes from the exhaust manifold to egr and egr to inlet. If its not any of them then I'd check the vacuum hoses, starting with the ones to the egr valve.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
mickysull158

What's the best way to check them? Blanked off the egr earlier and car ran alot better.. I noticed when putting egr back on after cleaning the valve only opened a mm when reved fully.. Is this normal? Thanks again
Old 05-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Arsonist22

The inter cooler and egr pipes will have to be checked visually- if there split you'll probably see sludgy oil around where they have perished.
The best way to check the vacuum pipes is with a mityvac. They can be picked up fairly cheap on eBay. Just attach it into the vacuum hose to be checked, and make sure it holds pressure.
The egr valve should open its maxium at partial load eg 1500-2500 rpm range. If it only opens a mm at maximum throughout the rev range I suspect that's your problem.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
mickysull158

Ok MAF is now connected with the egr blanked (golf tee) and she is a different animal.. Spooling earlier and more responsive. Performing better with MAF connected now.. But I still don't think the engine is reach full potential. Maybe the leak I hear is holding it back.. Would you recommend a egr bypass or install a new original one? Thanking you
Old 05-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Arsonist22

It's up to you bud! Lots of people swear by blanking them off, reckoning it improves performance lower down the rev range over standard. I'd make sure you read up on it if you decide to blank it off. I don't know about e46s, but on certain euro 4 spec fords (im a ford/mazda mechanic) if no egr flow is detected then it brings a MIL light on.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
mickysull158

Cheers lad.. Did some research and think my best option is to get a Egr bypass.. No light showing up on my dash but my engine management light was tampered with previously anyway because it doesn't even light when I turn on ignition. Any ideas about the air I hear from down behind oil filter? Lots of hoses down there..