E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #41
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickr519 View Post
I was more curious about the fact that the th400 saps 20 or so percent MORE than an manual which already saps some odd 15%. Seems crazy. I''m curious about what the SP guy said, the high stall converter increasing the losses? why is that?
Chassis power losses depend on many things but it is assured that there are losses through the drivetrain and the tire patches themselves. Good manual transmission chassis setups might use over 60Hp to get to the drive tires at a given speed and temperature (of the oil in the trans and drive axle(s). Automatic transmissions with drag race type high stall converters might lose over 100 Hp at the same data point. It is not sensible to plan on some set percentage as a loss in the drivetrain even though some chassis dyno manufacturers do that anyway. It does make the arithmetic easier but it does not make it correct. There are many ways to get a good estimate of the power losses but it is best to have good data from an engine test and then find out what is left at the drive tire(s). The power losses in the chassis are not the same across the board. The power losses vary with both speed and temperature of the lubrication fluids as well as the stall speed of the converter.
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #42
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2876rs4 View Post
ARE you sure this is through a auto?

I bet the steed speed flows better then the cast one! pull the motor and swap them!!!
I dont think its been shown either way. I was always curious what major differences in each cylinder flow and EGT took place with the cast manifold. IMO, substituting the cast manifold would gain nothing. To date I know of no side by side comparisons.

Equal length tubular headders where all the egt'S ARE more even and flow is greatly increased is win win win. More power and EASIER on the entire FI system

If HPF is going to fit a tubular manifold like they say, then I would be surprised if they did not add that to their catalog. Expect any tubular system to be astronomical in price, but with real world returns..especially .when paired with new intake pipe!

HPF has admitted the need for better exhaust. They need to redesign their air intake and filter now for stage 3 and above. Some might say for stage 2.5 and above. There is a LOT of HP being choked out by inadequate breathing. I think everyone agrees on this. The question is now:"What is the best way of improving things?"

Last edited by Bdave; 04-03-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #43
gringotegra

My Ride: Turbo
I can tell you that our drag car, dynoed 1044@42psi through a 5 speed. Threw in the Auto with a high stall converter and it made 812whp@42psi..... This is on a 4 cylinder, so comparing boost levels isn't quite the same.

If it means anything, the car runs 8.30's@167....

Last edited by gringotegra; 04-03-2012 at 03:51 PM.
gringotegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
TaZaM3
Psshhhht M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Nice job guys, I made 940whp at 29psi (SAE) with big old drag tires on with pretty conservative tuning. I actually run more boost on the street.
TaZaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #45
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZaM3 View Post
Nice job guys, I made 940whp at 29psi (SAE) with big old drag tires on with pretty conservative tuning. I actually run more boost on the street.
Thanks Vik.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #46
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
I find it mildly amusing that the main person questioning the validity of the number "1000" (because that number was uncorrected for weather) has no problems setting drag records in negative DA'a
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #47
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I dont think its been shown either way. I was always curious what major differences in each cylinder flow and EGT took place with the cast manifold. IMO, substituting the cast manifold would gain nothing. To date I know of no side by side comparisons.

Equal length tubular headders where all the egt'S ARE more even and flow is greatly increased is win win win. More power and EASIER on the entire FI system

If HPF is going to fit a tubular manifold like they say, then I would be surprised if they did not add that to their catalog. Expect any tubular system to be astronomical in price, but with real world returns..especially .when paired with new intake pipe!

HPF has admitted the need for better exhaust. They need to redesign their air intake and filter now for stage 3 and above. Some might say for stage 2.5 and above. There is a LOT of HP being choked out by inadequate breathing. I think everyone agrees on this. The question is now:"What is the best way of improving things?"
little do people know, HPF has had a tubular Mani for years.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #48
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
Those 1000HP graphs will be closer to mid 800s through a TH400.. BUT on the same token if setup properly with the right stall and gearing the car should be significantly faster then it was on the 6speed.
Bugermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #49
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
little do people know, HPF has had a tubular Mani for years.
theres a pic of it floating around on this forum somewhere

edit: found it

or dis 1

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class

Last edited by Ky///m3; 04-03-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #50
funkboy316

My Ride: 2003 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDu4ea View Post
I find it mildly amusing that the main person questioning the validity of the number "1000" (because that number was uncorrected for weather) has no problems setting drag records in negative DA'a
i find it mildly amusing that that same person has no problems blowing motors..........

2003 TiAg HPF stage 2.5 SMG M3 vert
funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #51
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
theres a pic of it floating around on this forum somewhere

edit: found it

or dis 1

I remember reading that this very early mani was pulled from the line due to under performance. They are rare as hens teeth. Were they made in house at HPF? I doubt it.

Does anyone know the real story on this? By its very design it should have performed quite well I would have thought. Its hard to tell from a picture. Perhaps the sections were all too small.

There are a few outfits that offer tubular manis on a custom basis. I know SAAD is one. I am not sure about SP. They were talking about it I know.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #52
gringotegra

My Ride: Turbo
Quote:
I remember reading that this very early mani was pulled from the line due to under performance. They are rare as hens teeth. Were they made in house at HPF? I doubt it.

Does anyone know the real story on this? By its very design it should have performed quite well I would have thought. Its hard to tell from a picture. Perhaps the sections were all too small.

There are a few outfits that offer tubular manis on a custom basis. I know SAAD is one. I am not sure about SP. They were talking about it I know.
The manifold made great power actually. Far from under performing.

I would venture out and say that Manifold cost more, which runs the production cost up. And being a HAND made item it may not always be 100% the same every time. And knowing how prefect all the HPF kits need to be, they prob didnt go with them for that reason...

Maybe Chris can Chime in, but thats my guess
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #53
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringotegra View Post
The manifold made great power actually. Far from under performing.

I would venture out and say that Manifold cost more, which runs the production cost up. And being a HAND made item it may not always be 100% the same every time. And knowing how prefect all the HPF kits need to be, they prob didnt go with them for that reason...

Maybe Chris can Chime in, but thats my guess
I'm sure it ha more to do with cost than perfection. However it is pretty sexy
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #54
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit382 View Post
I'm sure it ha more to do with cost than perfection. However it is pretty sexy
I think the exhaust manifolds have been getting progressively worse, not better.
Like no one would notice?? I cant believe that tubular mani was pulled.
Cracking perhaps? That is one downside of them. Very prone to cracking.

So, the Steed did do its job as far as reliability...I have only heard of one cracked Steed, ever.

Does anyone know if there is even a single HPF tubular mani on the road now? How rare were they?

This isnt like ancient Egyptian history, unearthing rare and revered artifacts. Well, maybe it is.

Last edited by Bdave; 04-04-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #55
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:

This manifold was discontinued because it made it nearly impossible to control boost. That's why the new manifold design directed all the airflow towards the wastegate outlet. The other main problem with it was that the head flange would warp over time and we kept having to pull it off and deck it.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 04-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #56
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
This manifold was discontinued because it made it nearly impossible to control boost. That's why the new manifold design directed all the airflow towards the wastegate outlet. The other main problem with it was that the head flange would warp over time and we kept having to pull it off and deck it.

Chris.
Ah, mystery solved. Thanks Chris. So what are your plans for the NEW tubular exhaust. I know you just mentioned it.

I/we forget there is more than just flow at stake. You have boost and waste gate issues etc that all are part of the turbo exhaust design. There is never a perfect solution, just good compromises.

These tubular systems are really tricky. Since there are not a whole lot of them around we decided to heavily PORT a cut apart and re welded Steed Mani. I dont have the flow numbers yet. The cost was right at 1100 so there better be significant improvement or I will be upset. Succeed or fail, I think it was worth a try. The porter was supposed to be quite good and promised significant improvements. especially since he had such perfect access to a split mani. It was all 100% re coated in ceramic.

We chose the Steed as the starting point since it was what we had and it also had a lot more opportunity to port over the newer log mani My techs also did something with the waste gate...not sure.

Last edited by Bdave; 04-04-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #57
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

I had forgotten about My Tran's earlier Stage 4. We made slightly more power with his car at 1022rwhp. Lutz Performance now owns this M3. They've been running one of our "sleeved" block built motors since 5/21/2009.

Chris.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #58
A4RingedONE8T

My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
I had forgotten about My Tran's earlier Stage 4. We made slightly more power with his car at 1022rwhp. Lutz Performance now owns this M3. They've been running one of our "sleeved" block built motors since 5/21/2009.

Chris.

The 1022whp was on the old built, non sleeved 3.2l. Here's the dyno thread from 5/21/09: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=676754

And that built 3.2, non sleeved motor, was the one that self imploded racing the Mustang. Here's the thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=789944 dated 9/5/10 and here he just received the car with the built motor, now sleeved: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815781 dated 1/10/11

We got the car shortly after My got it back with the built sleeved motor and it hasn't been driven outside of straight pump gas to my knowledge since it left you guys after the motor repair/upgrade. I can't seem to find the dyno numbers or thread from the built sleeved motor, perhaps you have that dyno graph Chris?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #59
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
The 1022whp was on the old built, non sleeved 3.2l. Here's the dyno thread from 5/21/09: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=676754

And that built 3.2, non sleeved motor, was the one that self imploded racing the Mustang. Here's the thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=789944 dated 9/5/10 and here he just received the car with the built motor, now sleeved: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815781 dated 1/10/11

We got the car shortly after My got it back with the built sleeved motor and it hasn't been driven outside of straight pump gas to my knowledge since it left you guys after the motor repair/upgrade. I can't seem to find the dyno numbers or thread from the built sleeved motor, perhaps you have that dyno graph Chris?
Nonsense Shawn! That motor was built in 1973 and has well over a million miles on it. Chris has 32 thousand customers on the sleeved blocks, not one has ever had a problem. Not even me.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #60
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post

You are correct. The 1022rwhp was on the "non" sleeved block. We installed the sleeved block in his car on 1/4/2011.

Chris.