E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
addbhp

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
Suspension time

My new to me 2001 330Ci with Sport package has a dying rear passenger shock....oil leak. The car has 125,000 kms on it so thinking it's time for a refresh. I currently have about a 2 finger gap on front and 1 finger rear(drivers side), and don't think I want to go too much lower.

Looking at either Eibach Prokit with Koni FSB's or H&R Sport Cup kit. Everything else seems tight, but looking for input on the following:
1) Is front upper strut mount reinforcement plates over kill if I also get a front stress bar....Looking at ECS tuning for both of these
2) Will also do RSM, but wondering which RSM reinforcement kits fit convertibles? Or is modification always required.
3) If I do go with new Front control arms, was thinking OEM ZHP ones, but what would be the better FCAB's...Powerflex, Meyle HD or Rogue engineering, and what size, 60 or 66mm?

May do the occasional autocross, and potential Driving school but the rest is daily driver. Since I'm also shopping for E36 to be the track toy.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
I'm in for advice also, just piggybacking along, don't mind me
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
addbhp

No problem Dirty Mike...I've read so much on this subject my brain hurts, but everything seemed to be specific to coupes or sedans.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
Strut tower reinforcement plates are only $23 from Turner Motorsport and, in my opinion, very worthwhile. I put Bilstein coil overs on my vert and now I'm paranoid about mushrooming. Ordered reinforcement plates now and will install this weekend. $23 is inexpensive insurance against potential costly metal work.

Oh yeah, the research for reliable advice on convertible suspension is indeed tiresome. After swapping to Meyle HD control arms and bushings I have found that the bushings failed even quicker than stock. I have since replaced the bushings (after just 25k miles) and bought stock.

Last edited by BavLar; 04-04-2012 at 06:45 AM.
BavLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I have the H&R Cup Kit with race springs. I was told that the front reinforcement plates are not necessary for street driving. But if they are that cheap and you are doing the change anyway, you might as well. I didn't. Separately, I have a strut brace on mine for added protection and looks.

As far as the control arms, I've heard good things about all those you mentioned, but Meyle seems to be a preferred upgrade brand on the zhp forum I'm on. I can't speak to bavlar's issue but that is a bummer. I replaced mine with OEM (ZHP), but I'm not sure what size.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
addbhp

Thanks John and BavLar...argreed for the price of the reinforcement plates might as well do it. John do you have a picture after installing the HR Cup kit (race springs) I looked at your garage pictures and it looks stock there. I was thinking that might take away some comfort with the lower stance, your thoughts?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
johnrando

Here you go. It's REALLY low with race springs. As far as comfort, yes, it does change it. You feel the bumps more, but for me, not an issue... the handling benefits outweigh it, but it does change the car. I can tell my wife doesn't like it as much but she hasn't actually complained. Remember, the sport springs aren't as dramatic.

Before

After

Front

Rear

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 04-04-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added pic, etc
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
addbhp

Thanks Johnrando, looks good, but think that would be too low for up here in Canada. Here we have two seasons, Winter and construction. Better for me to go Prokit or H&R Touring I think. Love the Rims btw, been looking for the same locally.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
z0lt3c

My Ride: 92 325 S50/5M
I am also in the market for the a new suspension solution on my 02 330cic. I am also leaning towards the H&R Touring Cup kit -- the drop from sport should be minimal. I would prefer the Koni FSDs, but they are back ordered at many vendors, they hard to even buy that option now. The Koni sports do offer adjustable dampening, which you won't get on the H&R, but I am unsure what spring to mate with them and is best for the convertible. The Vogtland cup kits also look interesting but I cannot find published spring rates (The JR kit is cheap). On the low end coilover side I have been considering FK and CX Racing.

Current:
2008 BMW 535xit Premium, CWP, Nav
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Retired:
95 e36 M3/5spd, 96 328is/5spd, 97 540iA, 98 528iA, 01 X5 4.4iA, 03 325xiA, 04 530iA, 92 325iA/S50, 02 330Cic/5spd
z0lt3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by addbhp View Post
Thanks Johnrando, looks good, but think that would be too low for up here in Canada. Here we have two seasons, Winter and construction. Better for me to go Prokit or H&R Touring I think. Love the Rims btw, been looking for the same locally.
Thanks. Totally understand. BTW, I just spoke with H&R and they said it would be better for me with my touring cup kit to go with the sport springs, as they are designed to go together, and that race springs dampening rates don't really mesh with the cup kit. So, going to switch back to sport springs and sell the race... so my ride will be slightly higher now.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
tbear325

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
Hate to jump a post but just purchased a '02 vert with sport suspension. I replaced shocks (bilstein sports), control arms, rtabs, tie rod ends, etc. It still feels like the rear end swings out a lot even when I just turn the wheel going down the interstate. Is this normal and is there anyway to fix? Coming from a Miata that handled like a go cart so maybe I'm expecting too much from a much bigger car.
tbear325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
dobleo7

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP, 84 318
H&R Cup Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
I have the H&R Cup Kit with race springs. I was told that the front reinforcement plates are not necessary for street driving. But if they are that cheap and you are doing the change anyway, you might as well. I didn't. Separately, I have a strut brace on mine for added protection and looks.

As far as the control arms, I've heard good things about all those you mentioned, but Meyle seems to be a preferred upgrade brand on the zhp forum I'm on. I can't speak to bavlar's issue but that is a bummer. I replaced mine with OEM (ZHP), but I'm not sure what size.
Just wondering where you scored your Cup kit and for how much? I'm lookin at getting it from HPF, but I've seen it on Tirerack for about $150 cheaper. Did you install yourself or take it to someone? I don't want the race springs...looking at the sport because I like it the way it is. Thanks in advance for your response!

Sean
dobleo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
johnrando

Got mine on sale at Turner Motorsports. Don't recall the price, but it was somewhere around $700? Installed at Migs Motorsports in San Diego. BTW, I now have the H&R Touring Cup Kit with Sport Springs, the Race springs dampening rate did not match the Cup Kits, so I switched back.

Last edited by johnrando; 06-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
e46mook

My Ride: 2004 330cic
do you have pics of the cup kit with the sport springs to compare the drop?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46mook View Post
do you have pics of the cup kit with the sport springs to compare the drop?
I'll take some before the weekend is out and post. Most of my good pics are on my old setup.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
johnrando

H&R Touring Cup Kit

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by johnrando; 06-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
e46mook

My Ride: 2004 330cic
ah that is exactly the drop I want! Thanks for the pics
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46mook View Post
ah that is exactly the drop I want! Thanks for the pics
You're welcome. GL with your setup.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
rblynn78

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert SMG
All,

I would strongly urge you to look into BC Racing Coilovers prior to purchasing a strut / spring setup. They run $1,000 and that includes everything, including camber plates. I think you will find that is only a few hundred more than a strut / spring setup AND then you can adjust the height as much as you want, adjust the camber as much as you want and they are 30 WAY adjustable, so you can adjust the ride. I keep mine more on the firm side, but when I am going out to dinner with my wife I will click them down a few for a smoother ride, when I am going for a spirited drive, I will pull over and click a few more firm, it is that easy to adjust. I am EXTREMELY pleased with them, just my two cents.

2002 M3 SMG Vert - Topaz Blue with Blue Top

Sharked, Supersprint Sport Exhaust, Euro Headers, Euro Section 1, Schnell Intake, BC Racing Coilovers (7kg/8kg) 19" BBS LM's, Carbon Front and Rear, Umnitza Angel Eyes, Smoked Side and Turn Signals, Coby Wheel and Shift Knob, RPI Intake Scoops

rblynn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
johnrando

I agree that coilovers are the ultimate, and they should definitely be considered. For me, a little overkill for just my street driving, the H&R setup handles well enough, lowers enough. Your scenarios make sense.

I took the $300 savings and put it toward a UUC TSE3 exhaust, plus got a high quality tint job on my windows. More funds and the decision might have been different, but I'm very happy with my choice. As I always say, to each his/her own.