E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
jlgone

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Johnrando,

Thanks for the great photos comparing Touring ans Sport on a vert! This comparison is exactly what I needed!

Did you need any camber kit etc? The drop is not that much but wanted to double check.

I am going for the touring cup kit, and was wondering if anyone has reommendations on bigger sway bars.
i believe with sport suspension already have thcker sways than coupes.

Does anyone know the best RSM to use for a vert? I want to upgrade everything at the same time.

Thanks
jlgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #22
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
RSM:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/S_BUSH/RSM.html
Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Your welcome. No camber kit necessary. I used Meyle HD RSMs, came highly recommended. No real need for bigger sway bars (I think sport model does have bigger) but have at it if you want, as it wouldn't hurt and if you're tracking, etc. it's helpful.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
fmzip

Agreed, these will work too:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/MEYLE_HD/
Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
jlgone

Are the mehle front control arms OK? Seems like a good value vs the ZHP OEM control arms. I realistically won't ever track the car.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #26
johnrando

I've heard mixed but they are definitely built more solid than the standard OEM ones.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
jlgone

Any one out there upgraded sway bars on a cabriolet?? Mine is all original Sport susp now

From what I've read, cabriolets have 23.5 or 24 mm F and 20 mm R, which is thicker than coupes with sport suspension or even coupes with ZHP suspension.

The only reason I ask is I only want the drop of H&R sport srings or Eibach Pro-kit but I am afraid they won't offer the level of handling improvement I want. I was thinking the sways would help but also if I do spirings, shocks and sways I in coilover territory for cost.

Should I just go with PSS or KW 1 coilovers and leave the sways as-is. I don't was to spend 1700 for adjustable coilovers but would be willing to go 1100 for non adjustable dampning if it gives me the stiffness I am looking for witout excessive drop. I know there are lots of advocates for coilovers, but almost all are on a coupe or 4 door and verts are obviously different based on the factory set up for sway bars.

Last edited by jlgone; 10-10-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #28
fmzip

I've replaced both sways, used Turner Motorsports sways::

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-10...y-bar-set.aspx

Everything gave incremental improvements but the biggest ultimately came from Powerflex RTAB's and a more aggressive alignment. The car is on rails since the install!

No need for coilovers IMHO. H&R sport Springs, some Koni FSD's or Yellows, beefier sways and RTAB's.

Word to the wise, you really need to replace the struts when you do the springs otherwise you will be doing things twice. The factory struts cannot handle the drop.

Last edited by fmzip; 10-12-2012 at 09:50 AM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
jlgone

Thanks for the advice on Turner Motorsports sways.

Did you need adjustable end links? I am leaning towards just springs and konis (probably yellows) with H&R sport springs or Eibach Prokit - nothing lower than that for sure

I plan to have all bushings upgraded and will be sure to do the rear.

Did the front strut brace help much? Have you ever seen any brace for the rear of cabriolet?

Last edited by jlgone; 10-12-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
fmzip

Yep, I bought these too:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-35...reettrack.aspx

I don't believe there is a rear strut brace for our cars as it would need to be mounted under the bootlid, then where would the top be stowed?

Here's a link on my RTAB install:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=678004

And my control arm install:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=675565

As far of the front strut brace, I bought it because it looks so freakin sexy!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
johnrando

Nice c/f wrap on your cabin filter cover, you do that yourself or had it done?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Nice c/f wrap on your cabin filter cover, you do that yourself or had it done?
Thanks, ECS Tuning used to sell them