E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
Loose window - convertiable

Hey guys,

My driver side window seems to be very wobbly and loose when its all the way up. I looked at a few videos and DIY guides for window regulator, but none seem to be convertiable.

Figured it would be simmilar, but either i'm blind or i'm missing something. I figured i'd check to make sure the regulator/bracket is tightened against the window. Can't seem to find the right screws though.

Door panels off, peeled the foam cover back on the outside part (The window is loose on this side), adjusted my window so I could see what looks to be a screw...

However upon closer look...

What the heck kind of screw head is that? Nothing fits it correctly. Is this the right piece?

Any thoughts guys? I have a feeling this is not the screw that tightens the window im looking for. Am I close?

Lastly, I already tried removing the outside door trim and tightening the torx screws there - didnt help.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
That screw is an e-torx and it is reverse threaded from that side of the door. Righty-loosey, lefty-tighty. You will need a good eTorx bit set and don't worry, you will use them again. Don't try to cheap out and use something else. It will strip the bolt and then you are really screwed. You must use a good quality eTorx bit.

If your window is wobbly, most likely that screw has come loose and the window has lost its "pre-load." The proper procedure for resetting it involves special tools and removing the exterior strip on the door.

Since nobody has the tools, to set it again, you will need to keep the window in that position and remove the screw completely (remember, reverse threaded) and look inside the hole. There you will see a black or metal eccentric circle floating around that will accept a large HEX bit. Stick your hand inside the door and hold the window from behind the track and pull the window tight toward you while you are turning the eccentric circle with the HEX wrench.

You will hear clicking and the window pre-load will decrease and increase. Turn the circle until the window is at full pre-load (you will notice it leaning sharply towards the car). While holding the window tight against the track, turn the circle back about 4-5 clicks and hold the window tight against the track. Have an assistant hand you the bolt with the bit already on it and carefully thread it in, turning counter-clockwise. Keep pressure on the window so you don't lose the pre-load setting and continue tightening the bolt until it is very snug.

Finally, test the window. It should contact the seal when the door hits the first "click" in the latch. If everything looks tight again, try closing the door and see if everything lines up. If you put too much or not enough pre-load, you will need to repeat the procedure again.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer

Last edited by iansanderson; 04-03-2012 at 10:50 PM.
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Suseer

Just to clarify before I start banging away on things - In my 2nd picture, that screw (etorx) is removed (clockwise), inside where the screw is, accepts a hex bit (Any idea what size?), hold window and push it as close as possible to bracket as possible, turn until preload is at full pre load (large window angle), click back 4-5, put bolt back in - make sure everything lines up, test.

Sorry for repeating what you said, just making sure I have this down as well as making sure this is the right bolt were looking at.

Edit: Hmm finding Etorx seems to be hard, Canadian Tire doenst seem to carry them, I already have a torx BITS, just not the etorx sockets.

Edit 2: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en Are these etorx?

Last edited by Suseer; 04-03-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suseer View Post
No but these are. Also known as "external Torx," zoom in and notice an 'E' on the sockets:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
Suseer

Yikes that kits expensive, I think in total since owning my car (1 year) this will be the THIRD kit that has Torx bits LOL.

I really like the one I got from ECS tuning...however never imagined i'd need Etorx as well!

Ah well, luckily I have a GC for canadian tire!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Suseer

So picked up some ETORX today to give this a whirl - Once I removed that screw, and saw the black HEX - put my hand on the window/bracket, pushed forward and tried turning the HEX.

Seemed to only actually spin half a turn up/down - I could freely spin it, but the little gap to the right of the black hex you could see the thing spin, but only half turn up/down - anything more then that the black hex would spin, but in the gap you wouldn't see anything moving. Tried just pushing the window/bracket in and spining it so it was tight, then putting the screw in - window seemed less loose, but after putting my door back together and testing it, it wasn't much of an improvement.

Could that black hex/mechanism be broken? Or is it only suppose to spin half turn in both ways? (IE: 1 click, not the 5-6 you spoke of)
Old 04-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Suseer

Anyone happen to know? Next step is dealership/indy shop that id prefer to avoid!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Pure speculation on my part but usually these sort of window things get loose over time. Then you take em apart re-tighten and your good for a while.

If yours all of a sudden went from tight to loose then this hex being busted would be a good explanation for that.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
The black hex is an eccentric to adjust the window mounting angle. The e-torx bolt is what tightens the clamp that holds the window in place. The black hex should not turn more than a half to 3/4 turn. I wouldn't have touched the black one as it messes with the preload of the window against the window seal. You may have just backed it off and you may have wind noise now.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
The black hex is an eccentric to adjust the window mounting angle. The e-torx bolt is what tightens the clamp that holds the window in place. The black hex should not turn more than a half to 3/4 turn. I wouldn't have touched the black one as it messes with the preload of the window against the window seal. You may have just backed it off and you may have wind noise now.
Guy 5 posts above you just gave him instructions how to change preload as the part of the problem solving. Don't get me wrong, I am just asking because I have the same problem and I have to do the same thing as OP.

Questions:
1. Do you have to mess with preload if your window is wobbly? Mine is wobbly, but on the other hand it sits perfectly - when door is on the first latch click, window is just slightly touching the seal.
2. What if preload is good and the e-torx screw is tight, what would cause the wobbly window?

Questions to the original poster:
1. Was that e-torx really righty-loosy (reverse thread) from that side of the door?
2. Was the e-torx screw REALLY loose or was it actually tight when you removed the door panel? In other words, was loose e-torx the real culprit why the window was wobbly? (I imagine not, since you still have the problem, and I am 101% sure you tightened it even if it was loose)

Thanks mate...hope for you to fix this soon - that's the only way I will fix mine. I searched, and searched...and all the threads talk about loose torx and preload thing, but my preload seems perfect.

Last edited by daki_bmw; 04-05-2012 at 02:30 PM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Suseer

The e-torx was snug when I pulled my panel off.

I hope I didnt screw up my preload - however; Before I attempted any of this not only was my window wobbly, if I closed my door 9/10 my window would sit on the outside of the seal. I would have to push on the window lightly to get inside the seal. (A REAL pain in the ass if im driving and do my window up too) So my preload may have been screwed up before hand anyway.

I'm just lost at this point. The etorx is tight, but there still wobble. If I have my door panel off, the silver bracket my window is attached to I can push on and there is some play. However the rail it sits on seems tight.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
The e-torx was snug when I pulled my panel off.

I hope I didnt screw up my preload - however; Before I attempted any of this not only was my window wobbly, if I closed my door 9/10 my window would sit on the outside of the seal. I would have to push on the window lightly to get inside the seal. (A REAL pain in the ass if im driving and do my window up too) So my preload may have been screwed up before hand anyway.

I'm just lost at this point. The etorx is tight, but there still wobble. If I have my door panel off, the silver bracket my window is attached to I can push on and there is some play. However the rail it sits on seems tight.
Argh...somehow I feel I will face the same thing.
I don't know if this can be of any help...perfect adjustment: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/05/35/11
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Suseer

Painful, I get the feeling i'll be bending over to the dealer/indy shop to fix this soon.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
bigguy

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
Just a question suseer, does your window rattle when it is down and you close the door? If it does, than you my have a loose nut or a nut missing. In the first pic you posted it shows the upper rear of the door, the nut at the top is what i'm talking about, but there is another one in the center upper part of the door,this is where i had my problems,mine was missing. Hope this helps.
bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
So picked up some ETORX today to give this a whirl - Once I removed that screw, and saw the black HEX - put my hand on the window/bracket, pushed forward and tried turning the HEX.

Seemed to only actually spin half a turn up/down - I could freely spin it, but the little gap to the right of the black hex you could see the thing spin, but only half turn up/down - anything more then that the black hex would spin, but in the gap you wouldn't see anything moving. Tried just pushing the window/bracket in and spining it so it was tight, then putting the screw in - window seemed less loose, but after putting my door back together and testing it, it wasn't much of an improvement.

Could that black hex/mechanism be broken? Or is it only suppose to spin half turn in both ways? (IE: 1 click, not the 5-6 you spoke of)
not push forward, pull towards you so the window is tight against the track. You are going in the right direction. The hex eccentric ring should only turn a certain amount. It is not meant to tighten up against anything, only move the window pre-load bracket up and down.

Try it again, but this time holding the window tight against the track (towards you) while you turn the hex eccentric ring back and forth. Unless your regulator is broken, you should hear clicking and the window will change pre-load.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote