E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
e46dub

My Ride: 2000 328i
Question ugh just bought this and i think it needs clutch

just got a 00 328i and i think the clutch might be needing a new one.

its got 138k on the clock. I say I think because I tried to light the tires up... yes I know... and it did a 'clutch burnout'. but i tried again later on and it gripped. im not sure why it did a clutch burnout that one time though.

lets say im in 4th gear doing 30mph. off throttle. if i floor the throttle the rpm jumps maybe 100rpms and then starts accelerating like normal. is that clutch slipping or normal?

I noticed sometimes at a stop it wont go into 1st gear easily. Could just be the notchy manual trans?

Also any idea on how much a shop would charge to install a clutch? I dont trust myself to do it.

also any brands you recommend? I dont plan on boost or anything, just looking for a reliable car/clutch setup. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by e46dub; 04-05-2012 at 05:18 AM.
e46dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Change your transmission fluid. Turn off your traction control when you try to "burn out".
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
4th gear going 30 mph? Um, you're not driving the car as it's supposed to be.

I'm almost always in first going 30...will drop to 2nd if I feel like it, but I don't need to.

You're going way too easy on the car. What you've described is undoubtedly normal for what you did. I'd offer to test this scenario on my car, but care too much about it to do so!

Turn off your radio and listen to your car...it will tell you when it wants to shift. Me? I'm only in 4th on the highway cruising. If I'm in 'tight' city traffic on the highway, as is often the case around ny/nj, I'll keep it in 3rd.

Changing fluid in the trans. is not a bad idea, and if you haven't bled brakes/clutch, that should be done too.

I won't ask how long you've been driving a manual, but just trust me that it's not as long as me. I've only had a manual my whole life. So long that I don't know how I do it...it just happens!

Maybe someday soon I'll do what a Fanatic suggested I do and videotape myself driving my car while doing a comedy bit...and you can experience vicariously how you should be driving your car.

Don't baby it. It's a bmw...the ultimate (sort of)...but calling it the penultimate driving machine would just be poor marketing as viewers would need their dictionary to understand. No mean?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Pilot error.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Keep in mind that popping the clutch and doing burnouts will soon have you searching for threads regarding the expensive subframe mount failure these cars are prone to. Welcome to the e46.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
e46dub

I've been driving standard(manual) cars for 9 years. Yes traction control was off during the practice lauch.

Shifting out of 1st gear at 30mph? Really? Are you shifting over 4k rpms? That just seems crazy to me. I'm usually shifting around 2500- 3000. I drive spririted, but I definitely "baby" it also. I want this car to be taken care of and reliable. Does that reflect my original post about test launching? Probably not. But I definitely want to have this car for a while.

I also think with my mileage that the subframe failure isnt hopefully going to be an issue. Seems I got one of the good ones. Makes me feel good that my clutch isnt going bad. I'm going to do some searching on trans fluid changes, but didn't they say with 140k miles not to change it on BMWs? Maybe that's just the auto trans?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I'm going on 170k miles. I redline the car every day, several times a day. Head was clean as a whistle (excuse my oldness) a few thousand miles ago when I put in the cams.

Babying the car is going to cause the car to run poorly. Just keep up with your maintenance and have fun with it. The motor will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
I've been driving standard(manual) cars for 9 years. Yes traction control was off during the practice lauch.

Shifting out of 1st gear at 30mph? Really? Are you shifting over 4k rpms? That just seems crazy to me. I'm usually shifting around 2500- 3000. I drive spririted, but I definitely "baby" it also. I want this car to be taken care of and reliable. Does that reflect my original post about test launching? Probably not. But I definitely want to have this car for a while.

I also think with my mileage that the subframe failure isnt hopefully going to be an issue. Seems I got one of the good ones. Makes me feel good that my clutch isnt going bad. I'm going to do some searching on trans fluid changes, but didn't they say with 140k miles not to change it on BMWs? Maybe that's just the auto trans?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
e46dub

Does BMW have any recommended shift points for the 328? I looked in my manual but couldn't find any. Believe me, if shifting at 4k every gear is perfectly fine, then I bought the right car!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
dmax

Whatever the speed limit is on a road, I get to it as fast as I can. I usually will shift at 5K or more if no one is in front of me...out of tollbooths, all the way up to 6K+ usually, in both first and second.

Oh baby...that's babying it!

I've been driving a manual for 38 years so I really don't think about what I'm doing any more. I don't look at the rpm gauge really at all...I just listen to the engine, as I said, and although I only have one working ear, I trust it!

4th at 30 mph? I believe you've been driving a manual for 9 years, but did you start when you were like 70 years old?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
e46dub

no the 4th gear at 30mph was to test the slippage of the clutch. I was told to get it to 30 and shift it into a higher gear. I didnt want to put it into 5th.....

but I honestly am not going to redline every gear. That just seems unneccessary. Id like to save some fuel lol.

Last edited by e46dub; 04-05-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My good power doesn't even start until almost 4k. You're missing all the fun!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
e46dub

so seriously if the car has been warmed up, has plenty of oil, redlining all day long wont have any ill effects? I thought this the same with honda engines but it ended up eating a rod bearing (due to insufficient oil)... damn junkyard motor replacements hahahah
Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Just be careful and don't hold the revs, although I'm not sure if the 2.8 has the same oil pump issues that us 3.0 guys have.

Buy a Shark Injector, too.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
e46dub

so how's the reliability on doing a short ram/cold air intake with our engines? I just looked up the shark injector and that seems to be a nice reflash for adding mods if im not mistaken? I was going to leave the engine entirely alone because im serious about needing a reliable car lol.

but if its not worries, then I'd like to upgrade to a cone filter, full exhaust, and possibly headers.. but im not 100% on those. I had some issues on a honda I owned when I upgraded the header. Seemed to kill the engine. f****** ebay.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
dmax

Dub...

Trust your instincts. Leave the engineering to BMW...just maintain what they gave you.

Don't redline it all day, of course, but you can get up to redline just about whenever you want. I don't drive on the highway going 65 in 2nd, even though I could.

Stop with the rest of that stuff...read fanatics a lot and you'll understand why I say that.

A recent set

Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
luc

My Ride: '04 325i
learn how to drive your car first. get used to the clutch.. its rather vague. replace your shifter bushing (easy and wonderful). after you get a feel for the clutch (2 months down the road) put in a clutch stop and remove your cdv and youll be shifting like a champ.

i went from a manual cavalier to my car and it took a long time to get used to the bmws clutch

go with a shark injector and a high flow filter and youll be happy. a little more power and gas mileage

these cars are robust but they do require care.. dont be lazy with it and use quality gas and youll be fine
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29

Last edited by luc; 04-05-2012 at 07:04 PM.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
learn how to drive your car first. get used to the clutch.. its rather vague. replace your shifter bushing (easy and wonderful). after you get a feel for the clutch (2 months down the road) put in a clutch stop and remove your cdv and youll be shifting like a champ.

i went from a manual cavalier to my car and it took a long time to get used to the bmws clutch

go with a shark injector and a high flow filter and youll be happy. a little more power and gas mileage

these cars are robust but they do require care.. dont be lazy with it and use quality gas and youll be fine
He's been driving for 9 years, so he knows how to drive a manual...he just loves it so much, he's been treating it with too much care.

I might have to look into this shifter bushing myself as I'm getting a little clunkiness getting into second first thing in the a.m. and seems like it's a linkage issue.

I don't think OP has a cdv to delete, and the clutch stop, I have to say, seems like one of the silliest mods you guys have perpetuated here. It's literally 1" of foot travel and I can't see how it saves you anything at all.

Shark, in a manual? You gain a few hundred rpms at redline, is that right? Again, I'm sorry, but how often would you need that if you're not racing, and even if you are, if it's your DD and not a dedicated track car, I'm not seeing it. I'd never risk reprogramming the fundamentals of my car, fearing unanticipated consequences...which seem to be associated with almost every performance tweak done here. Call me old, old fashioned, conservative, ocd, whatever. Fortunately this is Fanatics and I get to be all that I am!

smh

A recent set

Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

Shark, in a manual? You gain a few hundred rpms at redline, is that right? Again, I'm sorry, but how often would you need that if you're not racing, and even if you are, if it's your DD and not a dedicated track car, I'm not seeing it. I'd never risk reprogramming the fundamentals of my car, fearing unanticipated consequences...which seem to be associated with almost every performance tweak done here. Call me old, old fashioned, conservative, ocd, whatever. Fortunately this is Fanatics and I get to be all that I am!

smh
Doug, the Shark Injector is one of those mods that will put a smile on your face once you try it. For $350 here's what you'll get: 1) A bank account that has $350 less in it 2) Much better / quicker throttle response 3) About 6-12 WHP depending on your chassis 4) A 7000 RPM rev limit 5) Top speed limiter removed 6) The end user can install or remove at anytime himself in about 20 minutes.

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
e46dub

dmax, I've been driving and shifting at 4k (sometimes more ), and keeping it cruising in between 2500-3000 and feels like a completely different car haha. Love it! You're totally right... I was just being too careful and nice with it. These cars must love to be driven like this !

I will definitely look into the bushing though... sounds like mine may be worn.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
e46dub

the shark injector sounds cool, but tbh i'm happy with the power i have right now. sure i might put a nice exhaust on it, but that's just because i like to hear my engine.

this sounds crazy, but this is the first car i've been completely happy with bonestock! I've had a SVT focus (had to mod that), EK civic hatch (b16 swap, GSR trans), and of course those cars were fun, but it left me wanting more. however this 328i has made me smile for the past 9 days of owning/driving it.