E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Parking Brake Adjustment Question

All,

I have a question about adjusting the parking brake. While taking my car to get an alignment, my mechanic noticed that my parking brake was partially engaged. It appears there was rust which caused the brake to not disengage. The mechanic adjusted the brake set point so that it is not rubbing against the rotor. However, I do not think they adjusted the parking level in the cabin. It now takes a complete pull to engage the brake.

In finding this thread (see below), there are instructions on how to adjust the parking brake including level. My question is can I do the second half of the instructions considering the mechanic did the first half? Am I at risk of snapping the parking brake cable if I do this. Just looking to cover my bases before performing this.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=244755
Quote:
Now move back to the cockpit of the car, and pull up on the hand brake several times to help seat the cables. Finally, pull up on the hand brake so that the ratchet clicks through four notches. Now, tighten up the cables using the nuts at the bottom of the handbrake lever (Figure 5). Tighten each of these nuts to the point where there is just a bit of slight resistance each respective wheel. Now, release the lever and verify that the wheels turn freely. The brake discs should be free to rotate with the handle in the down position, but fully locked by the time that the handbrake is pulled up a few notches past the four clicks.

When you are finished, recheck the master cylinder reservoir, and also step on the brake pedal a few times in order to make sure that the pistons have repositioned themselves properly against the brake pads. Also verify that the parking brake lamp on the dashboard illuminates as soon as the handle is pulled up.

Thanks!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Personally, I would do the whole procedure myself. It isn't too hard to do and will give you the best results. Plus you may find the brake is needing repair:

I say this as I had a similar problem where the brake partially engaged from rust. I didn't know it was rust at that moment and so I adjusted the ebrake as posted. Then, after a few uses the brake was binding again since the newly found slack I had added through adjustment was lost to the expanding lock (see #3 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...68&hg=34&fg=40) binding further.

My point is, if it has rusted, you should make sure that the brake is now working properly - my guess is that the mechanic's adjustment will be a temporary fix. If this is the case, then you need to replace the hardware and then readjust. The only way to know for sure is to have the back wheels in the air - since you are already there, doing the whole adjustment procedure won't be bad

Good luck!

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment, brake, lever, parking