E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
I spent all Saturday morning on the last of the bushings. I used the press to remove and install the bushings in the upper control arms and trailing arms. I got one of the lower control arm bushings in, but then had to go to work. So I have one lower control arm bushing and the four ball joints left. After that, the subframe is going back into the car. Oh and removing and pressing bushings is by far the hardest part of this whole project.

I picked up the parts I ordered from the dealership yesterday. All but 4 parts were in. The brake pedal and a few other parts had to be shipped over from Europe.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

This is my target time line:
Tonight - last bushing and the four ball joints
Tomorrow - Reinstall fuel system that was removed for welding
Tomorrow +1 - clean and reseal differential
Weekend - Install subframe and rear suspension

Hopefully my transmission and driveshaft comes in soon. I hope to do the service kit repairs next week, and maybe have it installed by the end of next weekend.
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #22
cposk

I am officially ahead of schedule. Oh and look what I came home to sitting in my driveway.
Photobucket

The tranny looks to be in pretty good condition, it supposedly has just under 70k miles. The driveshaft has a little more rust than I would have liked, but it should work. I hope...

I finished pressing the bushings and ball joints in the trailing arm. They came right out with a jaw puller + correct sized socket. Install was done the same way.
Photobucket

I took a can of Gunk degreaser to the differential. Then I cracked open the cover and resealed with RTV. I put the bolts on hand tight, maybe 15 ft-lbs, to let the gasket form. The next day I tightened them up.

Tonight was pretty epic. I got home from work around 5 and worked until now (just past midnight). The entire rear suspension is installed with all bolts torqued to spec. I decided not to lift it all up in one piece like it came out. Being by myself, I think it would have been a little to heavy. So I first loosely bolted up the control arms to the subframe.
Photobucket

Then bolted the subframe up into the car. Using a jack, I got the trailing arm up into place so that the upper control arm could be bolted to the ball joint. Then I bolted the trailing arm bracket to the frame, then the lower control arm. I had tightened up/preloaded to the trailing arm bracket before all of this. Then a jacked up the assembly to approx. ride height to torque all of the bolts. New shock and spring installed (H&R Sport Cups).
Photobucket

Now the other side, notice it went from light to dark...
Photobucket

I cranked the camber to almost max negative on both sides. Stance > Tires Easily adjusted, I'll have them dial it back a little when it gets aligned.
Photobucket

Now the hard part, the one man differential install. The reason why it is hard, you have to have one hand free to manipulate the bolts. This leaves only one other hand to lift and position. I used a jack to get it as far up as I could, and then I had to go gorilla...
Photobucket
And 5 minutes later... success...
Photobucket

I finally ordered the rest of the parts that I need for the swap. Instead of going with a stock clutch and flywheel, I picked up the UUC lightened flywheel with M5 clutch. I also picked up a set of ebay headers.

Everything is coming along nicely.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #23
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
You are insane. I love the detail, and parts lists are god.
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #24
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i like this thread

altho it doesn't look like the diff drain/fill plugs been touched? i'd have cleaned and changed the fluid while you had out. guess you're going to go with the stock 3.46 (automatic) diff ratio to match to your new manual trans? this should provide you with plenty torque gain. with 200K i'd have also done the wheel bearings while whole rear suspension out.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
cposk

I'm going to fill the diff while it is on the car. I drained it and both plugs are in hand tight right now. I just changed the fluid at 203k, it took like 5 minutes.

I plan on doing the wheel bearings soon along with new axles. It shouldn't be much more difficult on the car vs. off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
i like this thread

altho it doesn't look like the diff drain/fill plugs been touched? i'd have cleaned and changed the fluid while you had out. guess you're going to go with the stock 3.46 (automatic) diff ratio to match to your new manual trans? this should provide you with plenty torque gain. with 200K i'd have also done the wheel bearings while whole rear suspension out.

Last edited by cposk; 04-27-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
cposk

Well it was a very unproductive weekend (car wise), since I also work a part time job on the weekend. But the best part about that part time job is that I get to drive sweet cars (valet). And guess what I got to drive today...

Photobucket

Soooo sick. I haven't been a fan of SMG until driving this. Unbelievably perfect shifts at the speed of light, haha. I am debating on canceling my 2012 WRX Limited order and saving for another year, we will see.

But yeah, I got the front shocks off my car. I tried using a spring compressor I rented from Autozone to get the H&R sport cups assembled, but I wasn't comfortable with the amount of compression it is going to require. So I'm going to take them by the dealership tomorrow and see if they will do it. Hopefully I'll get farther this week, but I can't be out working on the car til midnight. I have some important meetings that I need to be awake for, haha. Til next time.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
cposk

I just stopped by the dealership at lunch to pick up the last part of my order, the clutch line bracket. I also brought the front H&R Sport Cups. The shop foreman agreed to assemble them for an hour of labor. I also asked about getting the car's computer reprogrammed as a manual. He said they would have to put in a request with BMW for the new codes and it would probably be denied. I said I just need a couple hours with SSS/Progman and he looked at me like I had killed someone. He told me that system hasn't been around for 4+ years and there was no way to do it on the new system without BMW's approval.

So, anyone in the Annapolis, MD area with a working GT1 SSS/Progman that would be willing to help me out (for fair compensation of course)? I posted in the coding section of Bimmer Forums but haven't gotten an answer.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
Optio

My Ride: 328i
Wow, the OP must be a professional mechanic.......This task is beyond the serious DIY'er
Optio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optio View Post
Wow, the OP must be a professional mechanic.......This task is beyond the serious DIY'er
I'm a 22 yr old that works in finance. I have zero previous knowledge of BMW's. I am proof that almost any task can be completed with the information contained on the internet.

I have learned more using Google (free) than I did in 4 yrs of undergrad ($100k+).
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
cposk

Came home yesterday to find this sitting at my door.

I also picked up my struts from the dealership. An hour of labor is only $135, I definitely over paid for 15 mins on a bench spring compressor. Whatever, I got them installed with the reinforcement plates.

I then replaced the rear main seal. My pretty blue flywheel bolted up after that.

The ECS picture of the flywheel/clutch kit shows a clutch alignment tool with the kit. But mine did not come with one, so I couldn't get the clutch/PP bolted up. It was dark by this time so I started the transmission repairs inside. Reverse pin is out, but the 5th gear pin is super seized. So I'm going to swing by Home Depot at lunch and fab something up to remove it. I also need some 600 grit sandpaper to repair the reverse bore that I mangled.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #31
cposk

Progress has been slow. I got the clutch and pressure plate bolted up. I also finished the transmission services.
Photobucket
The aftermath...
Photobucket

I put a quart of heavy oil in the transmission and swashed it around for about 5 minutes. And damn did it come out dirty.
Photobucket

Today I did the peddles. It is pretty easy if you remove them, then assemble and reinstall.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I'm welcoming a new beemer to the family tomorrow. It's an 08' E90 M3, interlagos blue. I can't express how excited I am.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #32
cposk

I haven't had much time to work on the car in the last week. I was traveling for work and had some other stuff going on. I'm basically just waiting for my buddy to help me lift the transmission into the car. I also have to get the stock headers out. It'll probably be a few more weeks... I'm not seeing much free time in the near future.

But I did pick up a new ride.
Photobucket

01' M5 that I valeted. I love the color.
Photobucket

Keepin' it classy
Photobucket
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #33
Aaron90

My Ride: 328i
I hope all is going well with your swap.... I just tackled the job or doing the rear subframe bushings, differential bushings, and all rear control arm bushings. I couldn't agree with you more that the biggest pain in the a$$ of all is pressing out the old subframe bushings and pressing the new ones in. I probably have 30 hours in this job and would likely have more if it wasn't for the help/tips from this thread.
Aaron90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #34
Nightmare5336

My Ride: e46 with a slushy
This thread is insane. Love it. Wanna do a 5speed swap for me? Willing to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
DUMB YOUR MOM.
Nightmare5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #35
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron90 View Post
I hope all is going well with your swap.... I just tackled the job or doing the rear subframe bushings, differential bushings, and all rear control arm bushings. I couldn't agree with you more that the biggest pain in the a$$ of all is pressing out the old subframe bushings and pressing the new ones in. I probably have 30 hours in this job and would likely have more if it wasn't for the help/tips from this thread.
Glad I could help.

Sorry for the lack of progress/updates. I've either been traveling for work or enjoying the beautiful summer weather playing volleyball. And the E90 has killed my motivation, ha.

I got the headers off last week, which was a giant PITA but completely doable. I was able to get every nut/stud out with an 11mm (I think) wrench. I had to remove the motor mount bracket first, and in doing so I found that my motor mount was completely split in half. My motor was basically just resting on the mounting point...

All but 2 studs came out with the nuts. To get them out, I put 2 nuts on in opposite directions and backed the inside nut out.

Up next is BimmerBrakes headers install and then the transmission goes in.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #36
cposk

I finished the headers install today. It took 3 hours to get them bolted up and torqued. The hardest part was getting the motor mount and bracket in. The motor was about 1.5 inches too far forward due where I had the jack positioned. Luckily I have another jack so I could reposition until everything lined up.

The broken motor mount...

Oh and look what I found in my brand new PS2... FML.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
Sub'd! Good looking work so far. You're in "finance". You must be doing some good financing lol. Nice new M. She's a beaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
cposk

Well I was in the process of reinstalling the trans last night and had a little accident. I was pulling on one of the alignment bushings with pliers and they slipped. My finger caught a screw sticking out of the tunnel and ripped a blood vessel open. Had to get stitches this morning. So the project is on hold until I'm healed up.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #39
hawk99

My Ride: 323ci
This is epic!! Get well soon! I can't wait for more!!
hawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #40
cposk

The transmission is in! A buddy and I lifted it up into the car, then he used his forearm as a jack stand to hold it up until I slipped a jack under it. I had the motor tilted back with a jack/2x4 under the AC pump. 1000x's easier to install, we actually had to do it twice.

For some reason, I thought the holes that have the little bushing didn't have bolts. Number 5 in the diagram, huge brain fart.
Photobucket

Number 5 is the part I was trying to pull out when I cut my finger. I ended up just taking a chisel and cutting it flush with the block. In doing so, the bushing mangled in the hole and wasn't allowing the bolt to go through (which I didn't realize until we had the transmission up in there). So we had to pull the trans out and then I drilled out the bushing. New bushing installed, and transmission back in.

All bolts are in with the exception of the starter bolts. I also did not use a clutch alignment tool, which worried me at first. To line up the clutch, I grabbed around the edges of the pressure plate and moved the clutch plate around until the gap was even on all sides. This ensured that the clutch was exactly centered in the pressure plate. I had the pressure plate moderately tight so the clutch was movable with force.

Now just drive shaft, wiring, and exhaust! I'll update with pictures this weekend.