E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
BimmerSage

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I might be the dumbest newbie on here..

Hello, folks! Newbie here to the e46 forum, but anyway about a week ago I was replacing the jet sucking pump on my 2002 330Ci because of a vacuum leak I determined on a smoke test. I got the dreaded lean codes P0171 P0174 (Plus the thing broke on a very small tug.)

Anywho, while I was taking out the old one I realized the hose going into the intake was not accessible unless I took out the whole intake manifold. Already upset I called it a day and left it. Then I came back to tackle the intake manifold. I looked up how to take off the manifold thanks to a youtube video by someone named 50skid. An extremely helpful video, he was doing the CCV overhaul. So I get the manifold off put the new hose on and so on. But I am a really cheap guy. My second year in college and am not in a very good financial situation so I skipped the intake manifold gaskets and new things like that. I left the CCV systems alone to. (I only cleaned the hoses and dipstick. I noticed the breather hose that goes into the dipstick was a little stretch at the solenoid, but I didn't think much of it because it wasn't actually torn.) I got a remanufacture kit for the DISA valve back last year so that was fine too.

I did clean the throttle body and Idel air control valve with throttle body cleaner.(We will come back to this) So when I put everything together and go to start it. Nothing. The idle was the same rough idle from before and now it stalls here when left on for about 5 seconds and sometimes doesn't even start. Now just yesterday it was running like it had a minor vacuum leak and was drivable. So I tried to drive it the gas station(To determine if it was a bad fuel pump) and the transmission acting funny. It held 1st for a long time before it shifted into 2nd. I fill it up a little under full and when I go to start it, no dice. It would only fluctuate rpm from 800 to 1100 with my foot on the throttle. I limped it back and it died just as I pulled in. I go to start it today and it acts the way it did on the way to the gas station. I am at my wits end with this.

Based on what I read online these are the test that I did:
It pulls up the code P1531 Camshaft Timing Adjustment: Open Circuit.

I tested the exhaust cam sensor because it says that the one that is open.( I haven't tried the intake)

I tested the Vanos solenoid to see if get power to the thing and it does. The Vanos unit has 11 ohms of resistance

I test the resistance of the Idle air control valve
I did this because when I was cleaning this, I drenched it in the cleaner. I had one hand blocking the exit and spraying and shaking to really get it clean. I later realized it was an electronic component.
I pulled up ohm readings of 20, 20, 40

When I cleaned the throttle I used a rag and moved the butterfly, only later did I learn you should not move the valve. From what I read it messes up the calibration of the throttle motor or something(Again, I'm a complete newbie)

I should mention I have installed an aftermarket eBay MAF sensor that I got for like 20 bucks, but this thing hasn't given me trouble since I installed it(Last year)

When the car is running there is a hissing sound coming from above injectors, maybe manifold gasket or injector? I did smell gasoline briefly. Could a vacuum leak even cause a p1531 code? There is no other code on the car. Pls help...
Theres only a few more weeks of good weather and I want to enjoy all of them before I put this away/
BimmerSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
BimmerSage

Should I just tow this to the stealer and let them figure it for $125, plus the $50 tow?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
VerrKol

My Ride: '01 330ci
Your symptoms sound very similar to when my Camshaft Sensor A went out. I'd strongly consider replacing the B sensor since that's what the OBD code indicates and it shouldn't be that difficult. How did you test the sensor and what did the test indicate?
VerrKol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Positive Jon

My Ride: 2003 bmw 325i
I feel compelled to drop by, because I am also a college-aged dude with limited resources.

Here's the thing. I watched the same 50skid video. He has some GREAT stuff on there and it's really all you need to get working. Forums like this help fill any missing gaps in knowledge.

You approached this totally the wrong way though. The gaskets and vacuum lines you decided not to replace are very cheap. Furthermore, a new ccv system itself really isn't much (got a cold-weather version from FCP for $110).

You can read the thread in my sig and see how I adjusted my thinking. You are currently on the same path I was initially.

Take a deep breath. You are a man and you will fix this sh*t. However, you need to actually fix stuff. With all of the time and headache you've had thus far, you could have replaced all of the weak points of vacuum. I used the SAME video you did last weekend. The difference is, I replaced sh*t along the way. All of my codes cleared and now it drives like a champ.

You got this. Just need to take a different approach. Just my .02
Positive Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Positive Jon

My Ride: 2003 bmw 325i
Oh, and please never buy a non-OEM quality part ever again. If I were you, I'd go find my old MAF sensor and put that back on there. For whatever reason (I know the reason, it's because it's easy) people always jump to mess with the MAF, when in reality they need to address the real issues causing the lean codes and rough idle (gaskets, ccv, vacuum lines).
Positive Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #6
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Dang, I held the dumbest newbie title for so long. Hate to let it go!

It is a big mind shift to go from "I gotta do stuff" in desperation to starting to really listen, learn and diagnose. But it is possible.

Vacuum leaks are really frustrating, but if you are just getting started with this, take it to someone who can do the smoke test for you. It's not that expensive, and then you can focus on learning how to do a good repair.

Some guys here are really great at this, but we are still learning. Make manageable choices. But fight the urge to replace stuff because you just don't quite understand what is going on.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
BimmerSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerrKol View Post
Your symptoms sound very similar to when my Camshaft Sensor A went out. I'd strongly consider replacing the B sensor since that's what the OBD code indicates and it shouldn't be that difficult. How did you test the sensor and what did the test indicate?
I measure the output signal voltage with car running
Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSage View Post
Should I just tow this to the stealer and let them figure it for $125, plus the $50 tow?
See what the collective suggests first. A dealer visit will seldom stop at $125.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
BimmerSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Jon View Post
I feel compelled to drop by, because I am also a college-aged dude with limited resources.

Here's the thing. I watched the same 50skid video. He has some GREAT stuff on there and it's really all you need to get working. Forums like this help fill any missing gaps in knowledge.

You approached this totally the wrong way though. The gaskets and vacuum lines you decided not to replace are very cheap. Furthermore, a new ccv system itself really isn't much (got a cold-weather version from FCP for $110).

You can read the thread in my sig and see how I adjusted my thinking. You are currently on the same path I was initially.

Take a deep breath. You are a man and you will fix this sh*t. However, you need to actually fix stuff. With all of the time and headache you've had thus far, you could have replaced all of the weak points of vacuum. I used the SAME video you did last weekend. The difference is, I replaced sh*t along the way. All of my codes cleared and now it drives like a champ.

You got this. Just need to take a different approach. Just my .02
I meant HUGE financial crisis. I guess I'll have to wait until next year... Unless I find the culprit.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
BimmerSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive Jon View Post
Oh, and please never buy a non-OEM quality part ever again. If I were you, I'd go find my old MAF sensor and put that back on there. For whatever reason (I know the reason, it's because it's easy) people always jump to mess with the MAF, when in reality they need to address the real issues causing the lean codes and rough idle (gaskets, ccv, vacuum lines).
I lost the old MAF, that's why I bought a new one. A single tear comes out of my eye every time I see that ugly aftermarket MAF.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
BimmerSage

I smoke tested it myself with a professional snap on smoke machine. It seems the dealer should have offered it as an option with these cars. The real question is if the p1531 code could be triggered by a vacuum leak. There are many possible culprits here. I messed up on a lot of things here.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #12
ms9876543

My Ride: 325i M Sport Touring
I'd guess you perhaps either didn't connect the intake camshaft sensor in, or not in properly.

On the wiring harness box that bolts to the intake manifold, all of the wires come out of the box and have male connectors except the connector for the intake CPS, for that there is a female connector in the bottom left corner, that the CPS wire goes into. Since its an exception its easy to miss.

Source: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-1...witches-relays

Source: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=6

Source: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

Last edited by ms9876543; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
ms9876543 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camshaft position sensor, e46, leak, lean codes