E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
invisible man

My Ride: invisible car
Question Sedan side skirts fit on coupe?

I seem to be ripping side skirts off a lot more often than expected during off-track excursions. Well coupe side skirts are as much as twice the cost of sedan skirts so if I don't have to waste the money, I'd rather not.

*NO SOLICITING* Thank you.

Last edited by invisible man; 01-22-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: no soliciting please
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Please give us a call, we have mtech side skirts for a very reasonable price. Coupe only fits coupe.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
invisible man

That has nothing to do with my question. Please keep the soliciting out of my thread.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
the Sponsor above it appears is just letting you know that they have M-Tech 2 side skirts for coupes inexpensive. Also "coupe fit coupe". since your only reason posted to go sedan skirts is cost, this seems helpful and appropriate.

don't know if they would fit. but I do recall coupe skirts being a tad longer when put on sedans. so it would seem that sedans skirts should at the least of issues be shorter on coupes. also not sure if the shape allows them to fit coupes as sedan skirts are much tighter fitting and contoured closer to rails.

seems your bigger issue is fixing why you are tearing off side skirts in the first place..
Old 01-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
invisible man

The above sponsor is just trying to make a buck. His coupe skirts cost 25% more than the sedan skirts. So of course he's going to tell me sedan skirts won't fit on a coupe. If they did, he wouldn't be able to price-gouge like he is.

Beside, $220 for skirts is not cheap nor reasonable. I can get some used M3 skirts for less than that.

As far as your comment about me needing to fix my issue - if you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible man View Post
The above sponsor is just trying to make a buck. His coupe skirts cost 25% more than the sedan skirts. So of course he's going to tell me sedan skirts won't fit on a coupe. If they did, he wouldn't be able to price-gouge like he is.

Beside, $220 for skirts is not cheap nor reasonable. I can get some used M3 skirts for less than that.

As far as your comment about me needing to fix my issue - if you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough.
you don't know what you're talking about. Coup skirts don't fit sedans and vice versa. Quit making yourself look like an idiot.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
invisible man

If coupe skirts fit on sedans with so much ease, why exactly am I an idiot for expecting vice versa? Or are you just an employee of a sponsor looking to price gouge some more people?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Kire118

My Ride: :/
dude, take a chill pill. yes, the sponsor is trying to make a buck, but it's sponsors that make this site possible. if you don't want to buy from them, then don't. also, if your concern is the cost of replacing your skirts, then spend some time to remove them before going to the track. yes, it may be a hassle, but so is having to purchase and replace skirts every once in a blue moon. lastly, if you think crashing is part of tracking, then either buy a beater car dedicated to tracking, or just allow your car to look beat up. what's the point of spending money to replace skirts only to destroy them again at the track in the future?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
invisible man

If you want to drive a beater around the track, that's your prerogative. Don't tell me what to do with my car.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Dude you need to check yourself... really.

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Kire118

My Ride: :/
Quote:
If you want to drive a beater around the track, that's your prerogative. Don't tell me what to do with my car.
what are you, 16? no one is telling you what to do, i was merely making suggestions cuz it appears your main gripe is the cost of replacing your skirts. also, with your attitude, no one is gonna want to help you--not in this thread or any other threads you'll ever make in the future. my impression is that your motivation for making this thread is two folds: 1, you want to brag to people that you track your car, and 2, you want someone to tell you "yes, the sedan skirts fit the coupes." so fine: YES, sedan skirts fit on the coupes, so go order some from 1 or our sponsors and destroy them months from now at the track...

Last edited by Kire118; 01-22-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
The bottom line is that coupe and sedan skirts are different. I was going to be more precise so I looked up the wheel base and discovered that all E46s have the same wheel base, coupe, convertible, sedan, and wagon, so I do not know why the skirts are different. That is, I can't say what it is that makes them different because logic says that they are the same length if the wheel base is the same, and the wheel base is the same unless my Bentley manual is wrong.

Personally, if you are taking your car offroading on track day, then maybe side skirts are a poor choice for you, or maybe your side skirts should be made from rubber or something that is able to change shape instead of breaking. I once had a friend that made his own side skirts from conveyer belt rubber. It actually looked pretty good, and the material survived the occasional forays into the great outback. He attached some angle iron to the bottom of his car, and made cuts where it had to bend to follow the body lines. then he attached the conveyer (conveyor?) belt material that was cut to about 1/2 inch from the roadway. Pretty ingenious set up,and it gave him the ground effects he was looking for. His car was black, and the belt looked pretty good when he applied ArmorAll or tire dressing to it.

NOTE TO THE OP
We are just trying to answer the question you have, is PartA suitable for use on VehicleB? This particular question is not so important, but you will surely have others and you should update your profile correctly so we know what car we are talking about, and where it is operated. Nobody wants your street address, but a car in Fargo and a car in Orlando will have different needs or issues, and knowing where the car is will help tailor the response. There's no upside to driving an invisible car or living in the mythical city of Ethos.

Taking your daily driver to Track Day will turn it into a beater faster than any other kind of driving, so if you want to drive a beater everyday, that's your prerogative.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:

You are wrong. If you're crashing, especially frequently enough to need extra side skirts, then maybe you should work on your technique and/or your cars setup. Ive track my sports cars hard at least 10 times every year for the last 8 years and I've never ripped a side skirt off or even had to replace anything other than tires and brakes. Part of being a good race driver is knowing the limits of you and your car and being able to take it too that limit without tearing the **** out of your car.

Oh, and your attitude sucks. You need to work on both your people skills and your racing skills.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #14
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Your car is invisible. Whether you have skirts on it or not is irrelevant. No one can see if it's a beater car or not.

On topic though: logic says that if coupe skirts fit on a sedan, then sedan skirts would fit on a coupe. Whether they look good or not is another story, since the coupe skirts on a sedan leave around a 5mm gap(?). Now, I'm not sure if they DO FIT for sure, so do that at your own risk.

P.S. everyone in here is trying to help, and your attitude is quite crap in understanding what other people say. My opinion is that if you're ripping skirts off your car, or crashing it enough in a track session or as you said (Off-track excursion), which sounds like you're offroading to my ears, then why are you doing it in an E46. You'll be wasting money replacing parts you otherwise wouldn't destroy on a more capable/appropriate car.
GAS Rebuilt DISA
Liqui-Moly fluids
OEM ///M Strut Bar
Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 AM   #15
invisible man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafffyyy View Post
P.S. everyone in here is trying to help, and your attitude is quite crap
Help who? Because it's sure not me they're trying to help. So far there have been 2 on-topic answers - but yet again they're filled with more crap - including yours. I don't care about your opinion of my driving style. I don't care about your opinion of my attitude either because my attitude was just fine until some door-to-door salesman tried to sell me something I didn't ask for. If this was a WTB post, it would have been in the classifieds.

If you don't know what's involved with putting sedan skirts on a coupe, then your post is nothing but a means to inflate your own ego.

Last edited by invisible man; 01-23-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:42 AM   #16
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
dude they won't fit. either the sedan or the coupe is longer. probably the coupe.

close thread.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:50 AM   #17
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:

oh sorry i didn't catch that you were tracking and breaking the sideskirts off. i was thinking you were dumped extra low and hitting speedbumps that were ripping them off.

for what it's worth Khoalty sells both their Sedan M-Tech II side skirts and the Coupe ones for the same price. $185 pr.
but as you probably know M-Tech II sedan and M-Tech II coupe are different looking designs. so this info might help some but doesn't help if you're thinking of buying used and retrofitting. good luck
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #18
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Help who? Because it's sure not me they're trying to help. So far there have been 2 on-topic answers - but yet again they're filled with more crap - including yours. I don't care about your opinion of my driving style. I don't care about your opinion of my attitude either because my attitude was just fine until some door-to-door salesman tried to sell me something I didn't ask for. If this was a WTB post, it would have been in the classifieds.

If you don't know what's involved with putting sedan skirts on a coupe, then your post is nothing but a means to inflate your own ego.
This is a community of enthusiasts. If you want help you're going to have to play nicer then that. No one here is required to help you, if you keep acting like a jerk even the nicest members aren't going to bother. People might not be giving you the exact answer you want, but they are helping.

Tim
Old 01-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #19
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
While the wheelbase is the same on all cars, the portions before and after the wheel openings is longer on some cars than others. You must match the door-count for aero kits.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Help who? Because it's sure not me they're trying to help.
Keep going, because soon you'll be pulling in others from other posts to diss you. Oh, I get it; everybody else is wrong, and you're right! Makes sense to me.

Coupe and Sedan are completely different bodies sharing no parts in common. Nothing from one fits the other.
Can read Bentley to learn that.
Closed Thread