E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
gldtn

My Ride: 99 E46 328i M52
Power Steering ATF Fluid

Ok, I'm confused on which fluid to use. I had to replace my power steering hose line, from reservoir to pump and drained out all the fluid. I have a manual 328i and on the reservoir cap it says ATF. I did a bit o searching here on the forum and on google and I was convinced that I needed Dexron III ATF power steering fluid. To make sure I went ahead and called the dealer for more information and the service department told me to use regular ATF and NOT Dexron III, he told me they are not the same!

Now which one should I use?

Thanks in advance!
gldtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
I use Castrol Import Multi- vehicle ATF in my 99 328i P/S...

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
antonmn

My Ride: 02 325Ci
Dexron III is a pretty old version of ATF. It is also very commonly used as a hydraulic fluid, especially in hydrostatic drive and cold weather applications. That's why is P/S fluid in BMWs.

That said, it hasn't been used in anything new for the last 5 years or so. I doubt you were looking at it at the auto store(the bottle probably said Dex III compatible). Anything that says ATF will be just fine. No advantage to use synthetic here because you should be changing it pretty often anyway.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
I used Mobil 1 Full Syntetic Tranny oil
Old 03-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
golforcars325i

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanc3 View Post
I use Castrol Import Multi- vehicle ATF in my 99 328i P/S...
+1

Same here!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldtn View Post
Ok, I'm confused on which fluid to use. I had to replace my power steering hose line, from reservoir to pump and drained out all the fluid. I have a manual 328i and on the reservoir cap it says ATF. I did a bit o searching here on the forum and on google and I was convinced that I needed Dexron III ATF power steering fluid. To make sure I went ahead and called the dealer for more information and the service department told me to use regular ATF and NOT Dexron III, he told me they are not the same!

Now which one should I use?

Thanks in advance!
You should use Dex 3, it's even in your owner's manual. As a matter of fact, Dexron classification has been discontinued for some time now, but ATF manufacturers still indicate on the containers if the fluid confirms to what used to be known as Dexron. My perception is that with P/S system it's not a crucial question though which ATF to use, as long as it's ATF.

My P/S system maintenance DIY is here if interested:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414455
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
RedLine D4 ATF Full Synthetic. Per the RedLine website, D4 is the new classification for Dextron III.

Last edited by 330I6SPD; 03-15-2010 at 09:05 PM.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
gldtn

Thanks for clarifying this for me guys! Seems like my local auto parts store carries some of the Catrol Import MV ATF, going down there tomorrow.

I went down there earlier today, but they seem to be a little clueless about import cars! Plus there system never points to anything for BMWs.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
I was looking for what my manual says to do my turkey baster flushing...ended up with a bottle that said Dex/Merc (compatible with cars needing Dex III).

I like staying with specs from when they built car as much as possible...that's just me...and my steering is fine!

Doug

Debut Radio Show Tuesdays from 1-2-ish p.m. EST on Hamiltonradio.net The Mechanical Animals call in for car repair help! 609-503-4058

A recent set--NSFW audio: https://youtu.be/_dcxcZfD6dg

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
gldtn

Starless,

I don't have an owners manual and the one I downloaded online doesn't say anything about that :/. From what I read online, that's what most articles said, "Dex 3". What confused the hell out of me was the guy from the dealer telling me, it's not "Dex 3"..

Great write up btw! I wish I ran into it before messing with my P/S. Although I may have to go back to it! My P/S been leaking and from what I seen and my father(the mechanic) seen it seemed to be leaking from one of the hose line that comes from the reservoir. After cleaning everything with brake parts cleaner, I changed the reservoir to pump line which seemed to be the main problem and replaced the original clamps from both "reservoir-to-pump" and "reservoir-to-cooling-coil-line" with better ones(just like the one you have on your write up).

I hope this stops the leak, if not I'll have to do the complete P/S system!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
gldtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
My P/S system maintenance DIY is here if interested:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414455

Looks like you spent just about 125$ in parts alone.. I remember taking my car to the dealer and asking the guy how much would be to fix this problem back a few months ago when my car was on the road and he asked me 275$ just for parts.. DIY is definitely the way to go
Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
I use cheap old walmart $2.67 ATF DIII. Of course, it will be in there for less than 10k miles before it's flushed again. From all the research I have gathered, as long as it's pink, it's good.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
aleksankazakov

My Ride: 04 E46 330i sport
Send a message via ICQ to aleksankazakov
I was always using this one, but agree, as long as it is ATF and it is pink it is all fine for the power hydraulics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462300583957.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	631046  
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksankazakov View Post
I was always using this one, but agree, as long as it is ATF and it is pink it is all fine for the power hydraulics.
I almost replied to that 6 year bump!

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote