E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
hatetolovee46

My Ride: 323i
loss of throttle response followed by stall on highway NO cel

Driving 60mph on highway notice a loss of throttle response for a few seconds but then it recovers(exactly like first sign if running out of gas, im at 1/3rd of a tank though) knowing somethings off i take first exit, throttle response starts failing again this time all the way till car stalls, got most of car off road waiting for a tow now. 30 seconds from time of first symptom to stall, but sputter at first makes me think its not throttle cable. No check engine light came on which is odd to me. Car cranks and at times starts feebely only to die within 1 second.

What should i look for when i get it home? Fuel pressure and pump first i suppose anyone have a good diy of diagnosis on those? Any other ideas?

1999 323i
hatetolovee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Fuel pump would be my guess.

Use the Hidden OBC Menu to check the fuel level in each side of the fuel tank, the drivers/left side should be empty, if not, the fuel pump is soft.

Also check fuses as well, to include fuses in the DME box.

Loss of throttle response was more than likely the engine stalled.

Read this thread carefully - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
hatetolovee46

Thank you for your informative response! Have read it over and still having issues, here's what I've done:

1)"Also check fuses as well, to include fuses in the DME box." Just checked #54 in glove box, swapped horn and fuel pump relay after taking glove box out, and checked center fuse of 5 in DME compartment, no dice

2)"Loss of throttle response was more than likely the engine stalled." yea def why, and then upon restart attemps it would click/turn over but no partial ignition(no combustion sounds) so definitely think no fuel

3)"Use the Hidden OBC Menu to check the fuel level in each side of the fuel tank" I have followed the procedure to do this multiple times, and cannot get it to work, after test 6 it goes back to 000 for trip and my odometer every time. The last time i attempted to use it for battery i could not get it to function either!

After checking fuses and the relay to the FP i pulled rear seat and cover and found the wire to the fp very brittle(it actualy broke on my inspection of it with only minor pressere) and sadly because of this i now cannot guarantee it was not working prior to now although i do believe it shut off(i didn't hear it when i listened for it with seat on, and now i can hear combustion sounds on start attempt)

So now where it gets weird, upon redoing the harness connection for the fuel pump i can hear it prime on auxillary 2, and now in my start attempts i can hear some combustion sounds for a few seconds before going back to just the turn over from the starter like it was doing when i was on the side of the road. It still does not start! I hear the starter firing strong(battery 1 week old) and now that the fp harness is redone hear some combustion sounds on start attempt for a few seconds, but then back to just turn over from the starter. Still no CEL to be had

What do I do next? there is at least some pressure on the fuel rail but i used the screw driver method do not have a fuel pressure gauge(can get one)

TLDR(too long didnt read section:
Throttle response lost on highway terminating in stall
1) Both fuses and relays for fuel pump are checked
2) wire connection at driver side pump(passover pump right? main one is passenger side?) was found to be likely faulty and did not hear a sound on aux 2 for prime(unconfirmed as seat was still on)
3) redid wire connection to driver side pump as it litterally "crumbled" upon inspection, aux 2 prime sound now heard from rear, during start attempt turnover over now has some combustion sounds in it, but does not "catch", combustion sounds stop after about 2 seconds and returns to just starter turnover sounds
4)Turn over attempts, even with combustion now do not sound quite "right" or what i'm used to

I'm starting to get worried and without a CEL I'm a bit lost

Get a fuel pressure gauge and verify 52psi on fuel rail is next step?

Last edited by hatetolovee46; 08-07-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
hatetolovee46

by turn over attempts not sounding quite "right" i mean a rumbleish knockingish sound but neither of those words are perfect for it, not a weak start(i do not think battery has dipped too low, does not sound like it, and car has some combustion sounds as in start attempt now as well)

It is not so distinct or loud that it is definetly a issue, just a slightly different sound upon start attempt than i am used to and thus mentioning it here

Last edited by hatetolovee46; 08-07-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
hatetolovee46

Fuel pressure test showed psi to be low at fuel rail(very low) added more gas and it started right up, is displaying 1/3rd of tank, (crossover?) Fuel pump must have died
Old 08-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
MartyFnMcfly

My Ride: 2004 325ci
This same thing happened to me. Almost the exact situation. Died while driving on highway, fuel was below 1/4 tank. I put fuel in at home after having it towed, and it fired right up. It had a soft fail, and will eventually die. I've been putting it off and keeping the fuel level above 1/2 tank. Going to have to bite the bullet soon and just replace it before it leaves me stranded.