E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 3.78 average.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #461
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by naMKaren View Post
Hi Mango,

Noob question - you've convinced me to do the overhaul of the system. Although I have no experience with car mechanics, I like to think I'm fairly capable with my hands if I take my time. Apart from the bleeding steps, is it a matter of just simply taking the parts on and off when replacing them?
Pretty much. Just take your time and take breaks if you get frustrated. It's not that bad.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #462
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Chances are you'll get a coolant shower. Don't forget to buy a new crush washer for the plug.
I managed to keep completely dry on this. My method is to cut a hole in a very long plastic bag and stick this hole onto the drain plug and then clamp it using a hose clamp. The other end of the bag goes to the bucket.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #463
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I tried draining my coolant and filling it last night. I broke my radiator drain plug.
I've decided to do an 'overhaul' but I'm not sure what all I *need* to replace. My friend is at 216k on his car and has only replaced the Water Pump & Thermostat. I think I'll be okay with replacing the Water Pump, Thermostat & Expansion Tank....and a new drain plug. Are hoses & pulleys completely necessarily?

I understand the difference between preemptive replacement and replace on failure, but there has to be a line somewhere.

I also can't reach the block drain plug (xi's are a pain). I tried & tried...even if I did get it off, I'd never get it back on. I'll just flush it a few times with a few gallons of distilled water...

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 07-29-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #464
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Really too bad not to do the drain on the block.
Unless your coolant comes out clean and clear, I'd try harder.

Yes, do hoses as they wear from the inside out, and the O-ring seals harden.
No need for pulleys unless damaged.

Have you done the set of three belt pulleys (idler and tensioners)?

New rad under $150 shipped. It IS a wear item.

research parts at www.furiousmethod.com

Last edited by Stinger9; 07-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #465
Dreamliner330

I ended up getting all the parts for a complete cooling system replacement. Pelican Parts was actually a bit cheaper than RMEuropean, BMA & Autohaus. I decided it wasn't worth saving the couple hundred bucks not to replace an item. at 75k, I know I'm on the early side for replacement, but my thermostat failed...

Parts arrive Thursday...I still can't reach the block coolant drain plug.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 07-30-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #466
BMWBMX'er

My Ride: '00 323i
^^^How much did you end up paying when ordering from Pelican?
BMWBMX'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #467
Dreamliner330

All their prices are on their website. :p

I ended up buying everything I need for the cooling system overhaul as well as pulleys, and belts, oil filter housing gasket... Etc.

It was $420 for everything shipped same day with 3 day shipping.

Update: Parts showed up today! 2 days after ordering!

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 08-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #468
Dreamliner330

I got everything in, not too happy with the BEHR radiator, the expansion tank bracket didn't line up the greatest and there is no drain plug....

I still can't get that coolant block drain plug off. I can't touch the plug with my finger if I try. I can't get enough leverage on it with the wrench...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #469
Zabusa

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325
I was able to barely get my hand in there, then placed the wrench and slammed a few times to break the bold loosw with that very little room. I also thought the behr radiator was off... didnt sit exactly right IMO but it could have been me.
Zabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #470
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I got everything in, not too happy with the BEHR radiator, the expansion tank bracket didn't line up the greatest and there is no drain plug....

I still can't get that coolant block drain plug off. I can't touch the plug with my finger if I try. I can't get enough leverage on it with the wrench...
I wonder what's different about my coupe. Got the new Behr radiator for manual transmission, transferred over the bracket and it all went back like good factory fitting parts should.
Lately there seems to be more reports of things not fitting smooth with the Behr.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #471
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:

Now I think I actually prefer have no drain plug. I will remove the transmission cooling unit anyway to drain the transmission so the drain plug is not much use, it just added two more leak potential (the plug and the adjustment screw)

To get the block drain off, I used the socket on an universal joint, plus several extension bars so that the wrench can be operated low down with no obstecles. Now since the angle is different, need to adjust the way you wrench to get the biggest bite.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #472
Dreamliner330

Well, I'm all done! Replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator, expansion tank & hoses. I also did the VANOS seals/rattle and an oil change...busy few days. . Truth be told, I think it was premature replacement. A lot of radiators make it over 200k, seems a bit early to do a cooling overhaul at 73K, but with a failing thermostat, I figured I'd do it all.

I could not get the drain plug off. I even got help and tried again. This time I used various extensions and a breaker bar and still couldn't get it loose. Anything that tight can just stay on. With the amount of new coolant in, I'm sure its fine.

How do I drain the BEHR radiator (no trans line in the manual), just pull the lower rad hose? Seems less than ideal.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 08-01-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #473
325kev

My Ride: 03 325i 5MT
I used the Behr radiator on my manual trans car. If I recall correctly, mounting the expansion tank bracket was a bit of a pain. But just keep at it and you'll get it done.

As for the block drain plug, I was able to get at it without removing the front wheel. I used a ~2 ft extension bar with a wobble socket adaptor. I taped up the wobble part so it wobbled a bit, but still retained good rigidity to get it on the drain plug.
325kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #474
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
I just finished my cooling system. It took me 3 years DIYng, and all the parts used were OEM. Im at 113k and most of these parts did not fail on me, but had the $$$ so went ahead and worked on it. The only part that failed on me was a hair/crack Expansion tank which never gave me a major leakage. All from Radiator, thermo, to a simple vent screw were DIYed using youtube.
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #475
Stinger9

Quote:
Truth be told, I think it was premature replacement. A lot of radiators make it over 200k, seems a bit early to do a cooling overhaul at 73K. I agree! Problem is you don't know until you take the old parts off. And some have failed ET's or rads or thermostats as early as 60K miles.

I could not get the drain plug off. I even got help and tried again. This time I used various extensions and a breaker bar and still couldn't get it loose. Anything that tight can just stay on. Seems like that xi configuration just makes it tough to reach the block drain without taking off something in way.

How do I drain the BEHR radiator Your Behr has no drain plug at the bottom? Mine came with a plastic plug.
see comments imbedded.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #476
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
How do I drain the BEHR radiator (no trans line in the manual), just pull the lower rad hose? Seems less than ideal.
Strange, I thought it had a drain plug. Anyway, the Zionsville version doesn't, so I'm in the same boat. When the time comes, I'll probably just pull the lower hose and suck out what I can with a hand pump. In your case, you haven't drained the engine block, so you're not getting a lot of the old coolant out. That's probably a good reason to fill it with distilled water, run, and drain a couple of times. Then it won't matter if you left a pint or two in the bottom of the radiator.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #477
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

The Behr has a drain plug. just turn it with a big socket.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #478
Dreamliner330

^ I try that on my original radiator after I took it out and I think I broke something. Are you certain that will work?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #479
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

It worked on my Behr. It doesn't look like it's turnable but it is.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #480
Vas87

My Ride: 330i
I just developed a small leak and what would you guys say the bare essentials to be changed over are? Would this $399.95 kit be ok?
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Parts_...LING-AUTO.html
Vas87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump