E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 76 votes, 3.58 average.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I hope this helps, Mango! I really do!

TL: DR...hope you understand why!

I'm not looking forward to my cooling overhaul phase two...where I do the hard pipes and the one engine cooling hose I didn't get to a couple of years ago. That one hose is over 13 years old. Amazing, BMW!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
CaptainOversteer

My Ride: Has three pedals
Great thread. Love to see this as a sticky

Now Coding Cars in the Burlington,VT/Plattsburgh, NY area - PM if needed
BMWCCA # 461124

1986 325 - SOLD
2002 325ci - gone :(
CaptainOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #43
InTheBeams

My Ride: 02 330i Sport Pkg.
This is awesome and should definitely be a sticky. Still havnt done mine yet but the time will come when I have a little extra money's
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #44
K'KamE46

My Ride: 323
Thank you so much for the follow up information regarding to the cooling parts, mango. But you scares me a lil bit. Infact a lots!!!

I will be doing all these soon.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

IN PROGRESS....
B&G SPRING I ANGEL EYES I M3 REP F. BUMPER I E90 RIMS I
AEM COLD AIR INTAKE I
K'KamE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #45
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
Stinger, I changed both hoses off of the expansion tank with my coolant refresh, 4 and 5, the other hoses from the heat control valve to heater core looked like they had been changed recently, I saw some rust stains underneath the car so it confirmed a leak there at one time in the past, nothing particularly tricky, the heater core connection was easy to get to when I was doing CCV so I already had the air filter tray removed, the connection under the intake was on there pretty tight but loosened up ok once I got a hold of it. My hoses were pretty spongy and were definitely ready to be changed but I did notice most DIYs don't mention these. I chalked it up to having high mileage.
Nice to hear from someone who has been there. Thanks
For reference, what is your mileage?
Good to know the CCV project makes heater core access easier.
What type of connectors are used at the heater core? Clamps?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #46
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'KamE46 View Post
Thank you so much for the follow up information regarding to the cooling parts, mango. But you scares me a lil bit. Infact a lots!!!

I will be doing all these soon.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Is not scared preferable to landing on the side of the road with an overheated engine that needs $2500 worth of repairs? It happens to others here on a regular basis. Imagine how many owners this happens to who never visit this board.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #47
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 00 328i, 01 M3 LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Nice to hear from someone who has been there. Thanks
For reference, what is your mileage?
Good to know the CCV project makes heater core access easier.
What type of connectors are used at the heater core? Clamps?
Yes, screw type hose clamps, luckily the screws were pointing straight up, I thought it would be a pain if they were pointed any other way, once the air filter tray is off you can see right down in there, 240k was the mileage so I was trying to replace everything plastic and the entire cooling system, I got it all except for the pipes that bolt to the block, when I was first in there I thought they were metal, I will get to them eventually.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #48
Mr_E46

My Ride: E46 CI
this is why i only paid 700.00 bux for my e46 it needed a head gasket. so i just bought a new motor for it
Mr_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #49
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
Yes, screw type hose clamps, luckily the screws were pointing straight up, I thought it would be a pain if they were pointed any other way, once the air filter tray is off you can see right down in there, 240k was the mileage so I was trying to replace everything plastic and the entire cooling system, I got it all except for the pipes that bolt to the block, when I was first in there I thought they were metal, I will get to them eventually.
Thanks again for the feedback. It all helps.
Yes, those plastic pipes under the intake manifold do require removal of the manifold as the one is wedged up in there.
You are correct to keep them on your list as I recently read on another thread that when someone went to remove the horizontal pipe from the block, the end of it had deteriorated so much that the tip broke off in the block.
It is my goal to see this sight some day when I replace everything in there with new parts:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake manif off.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	445491  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #50
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 00 328i, 01 M3 LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Thanks again for the feedback. It all helps.
Yes, those plastic pipes under the intake manifold do require removal of the manifold as the one is wedged up in there.
You are correct to keep them on your list as I recently read on another thread that when someone went to remove the horizontal pipe from the block, the end of it had deteriorated so much that the tip broke off in the block.
It is my goal to see this sight some day when I replace everything in there with new parts:
Here is a good pic of the hose that shows the connection, the gray part:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R3030182749ELA.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	445492  
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #51
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Yeah, I know about them hoses. But honestly, I've never heard of a single failure. Hell, I've never heard of a single failure of even the main upper and lower hoses. I do admit its good practice to replace even the hard to reach ones but they're really out of the way. And I do hope this gets stickied for people

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #52
Turntables83

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Well done mango!!!

Sticky this please
Turntables83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #53
Mango

I sent Moderator a PM requesting this be stickied

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #54
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I think this 'would' be a better sticky than most of those there already. M parts on a non-M, want to mod, no reverse? All these are either non-essential or easily searchable.

That said, I don't want to hurt Mango's feelings by saying this, and I've personally been a strong proponent of the cooling overhaul, but...

As Mango said, the hoses rarely fail. Usually the issue seems to be the 0-rings get messed up or that spacer gets lost. For $30, it's certainly easier to replace hose and work with new stuff...no doubt...but shops reuse hoses all the time. Just don't mess them up. I have a 13 year old engine cooling hose that's fine still...but I've got it ready to go in just in case!

Temp sensor and level sensor are easy to replace if needed when they fail. My temp sensor is undoubtedly original...I just replaced o-ring with IAT o-ring.

My first ET failed in 2 years (before I owned it); the second one went 9 years. My radiator started leaking at 185K miles.

If I was tight on money yet wanted to do maintenance, I'd do the WP and therm first...with ET as a good thing to toss in just because. I think the biggest key to keeping an ET good is to not overfill...and I'm sure that's been mentioned.

Anyway, this thread reminds me again to stop saying "I need to do hard pipes and that last engine cooling hose" and actually do it...so thanks for the guilt trip, Mango!

Support for sticky--lose the non-M, reverse, and 'want to mod' stickies!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #55
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Yeah, I know about them hoses. But honestly, I've never heard of a single failure. Hell, I've never heard of a single failure of even the main upper and lower hoses. I do admit its good practice to replace even the hard to reach ones but they're really out of the way. And I do hope this gets stickied for people
Mine failed over the winter. It started leaking pretty bad and had to take it to the dealer for a quick fix, as well as the tri-plug mount underneath everything.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #56
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Introduction:
Congratulations. Your E46 is now ready for another 75k miles of trouble-free driving. Never will you have to worry about being stranded with your wife, girlfriend, pets or kids in the car. Never will you have to worry about posting a thread asking why your car is overheating or why your engine is stained with coolant. Never again will you have to worry. (at least for another 75k miles) The mileage is just a guide. Your results may vary.
Well there's the fuel pump and the oil pump to worry about too... those will leave you stranded on the side of the road. They should be replaced at 100k as well...

Last edited by sna77; 04-07-2012 at 06:22 PM.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #57
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
*bump* just saw a new thread posted about a cooling question.

We should sticky this thread.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #58
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Well there's the fuel pump and the oil pump to worry about too... those will leave you stranded on the side of the road. They should be replaced at 100k as well...
Obviously there are other items to address. Anything can lead you stranded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katu View Post
*bump* just saw a new thread posted about a cooling question.

We should sticky this thread.
We should. Despite numerous requests by you guys and a PM to Solidjake, theres been no response or acknowledgment. We have sticky about mods, but not on something as crucial as a cooling system.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #59
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
just wondering, is it necessary to change out the fan for auto cars? This is the first time I've heard of this recommendation. Although I have heard stories of the fan exploding and denting the hood and what not....
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #60
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
just wondering, is it necessary to change out the fan for auto cars? This is the first time I've heard of this recommendation. Although I have heard stories of the fan exploding and denting the hood and what not....
If you heard stories, then this isn't the first time you've heard. It's not necessary, but brushing your teeth also isn't necessary to operate.

your call.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump