E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 3.74 average.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #881
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Uh oh, D. I think Jake put a hit on you. I recommend carrying your love kit in a fanny pack when you do your comedy gig... ya never know.

Thermostat still giving you problems? Wahler or Behr? I get paranoid about mine sometimes just due to all the stuff we read of early failures... then I think hmm if I'm going to replace the thermostat.. what else should I replace while in there
I have behr on my car and a new wahler in my room waiting
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #882
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Is that what you honestly think...'what else can I replace?'

You should read Mango's cooling sticky...think you'll want to replace everything. Do it now!
haha no what I mean is i only have 30k miles on my current cooling system. if i replaced the thermostat today, i'd consider replacing more parts since i'm there already..

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #883
Newman513

My Ride: 325xiT Hellrot 5spd

Found out why I lost all my coolant this morning in the garage, after looking for a leak, and removing the airbox. Oh well, the $300 for the expansion tank and some other cooling goodies will put my mind at ease.

Ordering this kit here: http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...t.htm?CartID=1

How easy of a DIY is all that?
Newman513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #884
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Follow the numerous DIY's and go slo and you'll do fine.

I know you say five speed, but aren't those trans fluid cooling lines to your radiator? With an auto trans, you've got to get a thermostat for the trans fluid too. Old one will break when removed.
I have a manual, so I don't know for sure what those lines are.

This is a good kit in that all parts are oem. Way to go.

Could consider a metal WP pulley replacement, or at least a new plastic one if you have the original.
And with real age, new rad is not that expensive.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #885
Newman513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Follow the numerous DIY's and go slo and you'll do fine.

I know you say five speed, but aren't those trans fluid cooling lines to your radiator? With an auto trans, you've got to get a thermostat for the trans fluid too. Old one will break when removed.
I have a manual, so I don't know for sure what those lines are.

This is a good kit in that all parts are oem. Way to go.

Could consider a metal WP pulley replacement, or at least a new plastic one if you have the original.
And with real age, new rad is not that expensive.
Nope, my car is a manual. I believe that I'll get a metal WP pulley too.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #886
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

OP, what is the date on that sticker? please look at it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #887
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman513 View Post
Nope, my car is a manual. I believe that I'll get a metal WP pulley too.
Plastic is fine. don't discourage people cause from what i understand the alum. pulley is hard to find sometimes

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #888
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I did the cooling system on Monday and I did not hurry. It took me about four hours and I wish that I ordered the pulleys. I admit that I read a lot of DIY's and watched many YouTube videos. It's not a difficult project just allow plenty of time.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #889
Newman513

Should I spend the money on pulleys right now too? Not really interested if I don't have to, but I understand the whole preventative maintenence thing.

Will I need a 32mm wrench and fan tool for this, or is that only for automatics? I have a 5spd manual, if that wasn't understood above.

Checking sticker tomorrow for you Mango.

Last edited by Newman513; 01-11-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #890
Stinger9

Need to read more DIY's with this question.
Manual fans are electric and just lift out after disconnecting.

How do we know about pulleys? We have no idea how old yours are. If you don't know either, order them and replace. You'll be in there anyway wide open. Easy job and you'll ride confident.

Did I tell you to read more DIY's yet?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #891
Juliopinto03

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
haha no what I mean is i only have 30k miles on my current cooling system. if i replaced the thermostat today, i'd consider replacing more parts since i'm there already..
I did replace the cooling system, however I am noticing my fluid level are dropping but I don't observe a leak under the vehicle.

Could this be caused by a poor bleeding procedure?

Someone mentioned to observe the amount of fumes in the exhaust. If it smells like anti freeze or plenty of noticeable white smoke could be the cause of the leak. Is this correct Sir ?
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #892
Newman513

Quote:
OP, what is the date on that sticker? please look at it.

I guess I'm a lucky one. 121k on the odometer.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #893
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliopinto03 View Post
I did replace the cooling system, however I am noticing my fluid level are dropping but I don't observe a leak under the vehicle.

Could this be caused by a poor bleeding procedure?

Someone mentioned to observe the amount of fumes in the exhaust. If it smells like anti freeze or plenty of noticeable white smoke could be the cause of the leak. Is this correct Sir ?
No, not from poor bleeding. Does your bleeding produce nothing but liquid? If yes, then you've done correctly.

Check your oil to see if it is totally looking like oil. That will tell you if you have a problem with the head gasket.
Any history of overheating that you are thinking of?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #894
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman513 View Post

I guess I'm a lucky one. 121k on the odometer.
Thanks.

I wonder if Sachnummer & Nael is the OEM for the old tanks then BMW switched over to CoolXpert

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #895
Newman513

Quote:
Thanks.

I wonder if Sachnummer & Nael is the OEM for the old tanks then BMW switched over to CoolXpert
No idea, but this is the original tank. I believe so, at least. Has the same make date as the car. I believe they're one of the last things to go in, seeing as my car was finished on the 20th.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #896
dkrab

My Ride: 2000 323i
Forgive me if this has been addressed, but has anyone ever had the coolant line running under the intake manifold fail? If I were to replace the hoses to the heater core, would I risk breaking this composite (plastic) pipe as I pull the old hose off? Looks like, from an early post, that you have to remove the entire intake manifold to replace this pipe. Should that be done as a preventive measure?

My car has 180K miles on it. Most cooling system components have been replaced, all except small diameter hoses, this hose under the intake, the heater core, and the radiator.
dkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #897
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
I keep looking at this list of items to replace and thinking its not complete. I refer to the ECS stage 3 kit list:

Water pump -YOU HAVE LISTED
Water pump pulley -YOU HAVE LISTED
Fan switch -YOU HAVE LISTED
Thermostat and housing -YOU HAVE LISTED (HOWEVER, DO ALL OF THEM COME WITH THE GASKET???)
Sealing gaskets -DEPENDS, IF THERMO'S AND WATERPUMPS ALL COME WITH THEM, THEN YOU HAVE THIS LISTED
Expansion tank & cap -YOU HAVE THIS LISTED
1 gallon coolant -WHATEVER, USUALLY HAVE TWO BOTTLES SITTING AROUND FOR 2 YEAR DRAIN AND REFILL ANYWAY
Upper and lower radiator hoses -YOU HAVE LISTED
Accessory drive belts -YOU HAVE LISTED
Radiator drain plug -YOU DO NOT HAVE LISTED - DOES THIS COME WITH A NEW BEHR RADIATOR?????
Coolant level sensor -YOU DO NOT HAVE LISTED - DOES THIS COME WITH THE NEW EXPANSION TANK????
Level sensor clip -YOU DO NOT HAVE LISTED
Radiator -YOU HAVE LISTED
Idler pulley -YOU HAVE LISTED
Hydraulic tensioner and pulley -YOU HAVE LISTED (ALTHOUGH I HAVE TO DETERMINE IF I HAVE HYDRAULIC OR NOT)
A/C Belt tensioner assembly -YOU HAVE LISTED

They also show an assortment of bolts, washers, and other small plastic looking washers. It's really the pulleys and the three other items above that you do not have listed. I'm thinking you didn't list them because they "come with" the other parts like the radiator itself or the lower radiator hoses. I'm a little stumped on the pulley situation.

Last edited by caleb6; 01-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #898
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb6 View Post

Radiator drain plug -YOU DO NOT HAVE LISTED - DOES THIS COME WITH A NEW BEHR RADIATOR?????
Coolant level sensor -YOU DO NOT HAVE LISTED - DOES THIS COME WITH THE NEW EXPANSION TANK????
Level sensor clip -YOU DO NOT HAVE LISTED
Drain plug comes with a radiator.

Coolant level sensor is purchased separately.

Don't know what a level sensor clip is, but the ET and sensor is all you need.
Addendum: Do note that there is a spring retaining clip at the bottom of the ET. Before you throw out your old one, save the clip as new ET's do not come with this part. Stupid!

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-12-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #899
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Drain plug comes with a radiator.

Coolant level sensor is purchased separately.

Don't know what a level sensor clip is, but the ET and sensor is all you need.

Cool, thanks!

I'm looking for a good side by side comparison picture of hydraulic versus mechanical pulley set up - anyone have a link to one??

Also, can the A/C be one, and the main belt be another type - one hydraulic and one mechanical?

Thanks for the info.
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #900
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrab View Post
Forgive me if this has been addressed, but has anyone ever had the coolant line running under the intake manifold fail? If I were to replace the hoses to the heater core, would I risk breaking this composite (plastic) pipe as I pull the old hose off? Looks like, from an early post, that you have to remove the entire intake manifold to replace this pipe. Should that be done as a preventive measure?

My car has 180K miles on it. Most cooling system components have been replaced, all except small diameter hoses, this hose under the intake, the heater core, and the radiator.
Plastic hoses (2) under the intake last way longer than the rubber hoses, but if you disturb them you must replace them. And the manifold must come off to do them, and this is the nasty job!
Everything is always at risk when you work on it!
Usually they will crumble and leak at the connections as fail. The replacement has been written about on this Board within the last year.
Car would have to be ancient to do as PM. But eventually yes.
I'd do the rad as PM (have done it myself), but not the heater core. Most go the life of the car. (dash comes off to do this)

Take a pic for us when you get here!

Last edited by Stinger9; 05-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump