E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 3.78 average.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #81
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
^ Be sure to post pics so we can document where they fail. Haven't seen any around here really.. but we here about them from time to time.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #82
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Oh, my bad. I thought it was your car with the leaking radiator. Cool. I know on E36 cars, radiator failures are VERY common. Interested to see how the E46 ones fail. Seems with the years passing by, maybe its just that time for our cars?
Mine started leaking from the top hose connection that goes to the expansion tank. It was a small leak at first, but slowly got worse. I'm glad I replaced it when I did because after I pulled it out of the car, the connection was so brittle it fell apart in my hands.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #83
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Mine started leaking from the top hose connection that goes to the expansion tank. It was a small leak at first, but slowly got worse. I'm glad I replaced it when I did because after I pulled it out of the car, the connection was so brittle it fell apart in my hands.
Scary. Replace your radiators, folks. It's only $143. not a big deal. The radiator is the core of your cooling system. Not replacing it is like buying christmas decorations like lights, decorations, the star, but not the tree itself.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 04-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #84
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Thanks, Alex. It's more of a guide w/ list of parts with a bonus tip on HOW to bleed. I don't really see it as a DIY. But good to see informative posts stickied. Thanks

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #85
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You happy now, Mang?

Jake, can I get my beagle thread stickied in OT?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #86
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
If you dont want to waste $26 like me on a lower radiator hose fan switch; you can re-use your old one but you must replace the O-ring; otherwise it will leak.
I did some research/ spoke to dmax and found out you are able to get one on pelicanparts.com for $1.00. Its the O-ring from the air intake temp senser part # 13621743299
Its the same size and material and has been used before by other fanatics will no ill effects. Again:
PelicanParts.com
Part # 136 217 43 299
$1.00

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 04-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #87
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
If you dont want to waste $26 like me on a lower radiator hose fan switch; you can re-use your old one but you must replace the O-ring; otherwise it will leak.
I did some research/ spoke to dmax and found out you are able to get one on pelicanparts.com for $1.00. Its the O-ring from the air intake temp senser part # 13621743299
Its the same size and material and has been used before by other fanatics will no ill effects. Again:
PelicanParts.com
Part # 136 217 43 299
$1.00
Mango, maybe you can add this to the original 1st post as an option to those with good working fan switches.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #88
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

The switch is already on the list. It comes with a brand new O-ring. no need for the separate part unless you're buying separately. Since buying separately doesn't exist in my book, i won't bother adding it =) I'd only be encouraging people for their cars to break down

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #89
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRY View Post
Thanks Mango - this is super fabulous. I'm going to do this this summer (I hate that kind of sentence!). It sucks that there is no aftermarket upgrade radiator for non-M cars under uhhh about $1k USD (and by upgrade I mean aluminum). But I guess even replacing the plastic one twice is still cost effective for what you get in the life of your vehicle.

The fact that almost no cars today have a "true" coolant temp gauge really bugs me, you almost don't know till it's too late (wink wink). I've got to get that ScanGauge II stealth mounted in my glasses tray stat - I want a real live amber backlit coolant temp gauge up there.

Oh and on the general topic of DIYs, stickies, and FAQs and stuff. . .I've been bouncing around the net heavily in the last week or two to look up a real list of things I want to do to my little strudel coupe this year and I've consistently run into stuff where there will be an "e46 mega faq/diy" referred to (off of this site) and it itself will have 50 URLs to its different topics, very few of which are hosted on its server), long story short - at the end of the day what looks to be a comprehensive list of DIYs and FAQs is growing into a list of increasingly dead links as these cars get older and ownership turns over.

It would be nice to consolidate what's out there and bring it to one (or many mirrored) places so that this kind of great info doesn't get lost. Not as worried with stuff like content physically within the forum, but there's a lot of links to the outside. And potentially some "dead" or MIA stuff might be able to be found on archive.org, I dunno. And I'll go ahead and publicly be the cynic that says it would be smart to if not host the mega DIY at at least (again!) one other place than this forum, than many places - if for no other reason than we compile a 7 volume book of technical content and have given the one and only original copy to a private company whose terms of use say anything we post here is essentially theirs for the taking. All forums have that same general essence to their terms, though I've never seen a book at barnes and noble ghost written by vBulletin yet.

Sorry I strayed OT but my last two paragraphs are what, a letter to the editor? Mods feel free to delete or move. And censor my freedom. If that's ok with you.
I'm at your service!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #90
Ilovecars800490

My Ride: 2003 330i sport 5spd
My question is if its just the expansion tank then can you just replace that? I know the original owner had lots of service records and water pump, thermostat was replaced already on my car.

Sometimes I wish I never got rid of my g35.

Edit: I got it... For extra protection replace all....

Last edited by Ilovecars800490; 04-13-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Ilovecars800490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #91
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovecars800490 View Post
My question is if its just the expansion tank then can you just replace that? I know the original owner had lots of service records and water pump, thermostat was replaced already on my car.

Sometimes I wish I never got rid of my g35.

Edit: I got it... For extra protection replace all....
Good! G35 has its own problems. Like cross-contaminantion of the cooling/transmission fluid due to poorly designed couplings at the cooler. This happens frequently to Nissans and Inifnitis including my mom's brand new G37 which had its transmission replaced (among a sh!tload of other things)

Relative to the total price of the car, $500 is not a lot to ensure a reliable vehicle. And given the age and mileage, you'd have to be replacing the cooling system of any car. Two of my friends with other brands of cars just experienced cooling system failures last week. A Jeep and a Toyota. Both around 100k miles.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #92
BeMyWhip

Quote:
The switch is already on the list. It comes with a brand new O-ring. no need for the separate part unless you're buying separately. Since buying separately doesn't exist in my book, i won't bother adding it =) I'd only be encouraging people for their cars to break down
I have 85K on my car, do you suggest buying a new one?
I know they last for hundreds of thousands of miles!
I bet it can easily go another 60-70K until the next cooling system overhaul;
then I would change it. You can make the part # available just to give people a choice to decide for themselves. You got to admit it is extremely easy to access and replace!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #93
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
I have 85K on my car, do you suggest buying a new one?
I know they last for hundreds of thousands of miles!
I bet it can easily go another 60-70K until the next cooling system overhaul;
then I would change it. You can make the part # available just to give people a choice to decide for themselves. You got to admit it is extremely easy to access and replace!
You guys aren't reading. The part # for the temp switch is already included in the parts list. It has been from day one. If you don't replace certain cooling parts, it just comes down to how lucky you feel. thats all

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #94
Ilovecars800490

Quote:
Good! G35 has its own problems. Like cross-contaminantion of the cooling/transmission fluid due to poorly designed couplings at the cooler. This happens frequently to Nissans and Inifnitis including my mom's brand new G37 which had its transmission replaced (among a sh!tload of other things)
?? I think you pulled that out of your arse.

We (My fiance and I) had two infiniti G35's and parents had an 04 M35; owned two nissans, a roque(current) and a pathfinder. I've never heard of the problems you are describing. Not saying it can't happen but it's obviously not common and I have been around the Nissan and Infiniti boards for years so I think i would have atleast heard of it. My 03 G 6mt had 175k before i sold it to my younger sibling (pretty nice first car imo) and it never once gave me problems and still is problem free.

The only cooling issue that the nissan board is aware of is the fact that the 370 z is not equiped with a oil cooler so when it is being tracked (driven hard), it overheats but returns to normal when driven normally. Another is the trannsmision also not having an oil cooler. Pretty stupid considering the Z is marketed as a high performance trackable vehicle yet nissan decides not to equip an oil cooler. They did for 2011-12 models... go figure. Remember the Comparison test between the 335i and G37? 335i overheated and went into safe mode during aggressive track testing... Go figure.

The fact is BMW decided to go the cheap route and use cheap plastics and this is what we have to pay for. The sad thing is... there is no recall. This is a common problem with thread up the arse about it and can be a safety issue. Yes 500 ( plus a few hundred more for labor) may not be that much but it's a pain in the butt hole and downtime for some of us that have lives and need our cars everyday. In addition, I also had to replace bushings up front along with the links and that was not cheap and now my A/c fan is making a funny noise. I also just found out that The VANOS can go bad too? I drive 80-90% highway miles.

BMW is perceived to be unreliable but i always like to give everything a chance which is the reason why i decided to go with this vehicle instead of a G35 sedan or is250(350=no manual), but mainly for great gas mileage and cheap insurance. Should have bought a certified used.

I apologize for my rant but I expected more from a BMW. Fake leather? WTF?

But i definitely want to thank you for the informative post(s) regarding the cooling system!

Last edited by Ilovecars800490; 04-13-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #95
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovecars800490 View Post

I apologize for my rant but I expected more from a BMW. Fake leather? WTF?
Not fake leather; LEATHERETTE!
Look at it from my perspective. I appreciate the choice to get what I want and I chose leatherette. Leather is for sure available if you wanted to pay for it.

Everything else you were right about.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #96
Ilovecars800490

thank goodness i checked today. Leaking like crazy! there goes another few hundred bucks..
Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #97
Stinger9

Leaking from where?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #98
Ilovecars800490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Leaking from where?
I'm assuming its the expansion tank since is comming from the driver side... ? radiator looks great.

water pump was replaced at 65k miles along with thermostat and some hoses. I don't think i need to replace them again so i just ordered the expansion tank, parts and hoses that goes a long wtih that side of the rad. It seems to only leak when I add coolant to the full mark which only takes like 1/6 of a quart roughly so i assuming there is still plenty of coolant in the radiator and block. I need my car so for a temp fix i am going to pull the expansion tank and solder the crack with extra plastic until the parts come in. That i hope should hold for atleast a week....

Last edited by Ilovecars800490; 04-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #99
Stinger9

Don't get me wrong; I wish you good luck with your repair.

I'd suspect you would not be able to get the ET to hold for a day much less a week. You are flirting with a fairly serious downside here.
The ET is molded out of some sort of thermoplastic composite clearly designed to withstand high temps. I'd guess it would not lend itself to being melted together.
Do let us know how you make out please?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #100
Ilovecars800490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Don't get me wrong; I wish you good luck with your repair.

I'd suspect you would not be able to get the ET to hold for a day much less a week. You are flirting with a fairly serious downside here.
The ET is molded out of some sort of thermoplastic composite clearly designed to withstand high temps. I'd guess it would not lend itself to being melted together.
Do let us know how you make out please?
Maybe taking it easy on the car for a whole week will help keep it from cracking again before the parts comes in. Of course, it depends where the fracture is too. If its on a flat side, it shouldn't be a problem for just a week but if its at a bend then yeah, i don't see it holding for long.

We'll see. I'll definitely keep you posted on the repair.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump