E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 3.74 average.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #1261
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
Yes, I'm aware. Statement number two could have been worded better.

Anyone have a part number or source for the bolt that passes through mechanical tensioner pulley, the one with T50 head?
Have you tried RealOEM?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #1262
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Could it be one of these?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=11&fg=18

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&hg=12&fg=22

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=11&fg=18

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=11&fg=18

Last edited by Stinger9; 06-27-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #1263
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
* E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

No, because BMW doesn't sell the pulley (on mechanical tensioner) as a separate piece. The parts diagrams don't show the hardware in question.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #1264
Stinger9

Gotcha

Then not sold separately equals no part number.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #1265
prisonerofdoom83

My Ride: E46 E30 Tacoma
after i pulled off the tensioner i noticed the boot was seperated and it was leaking now i gotta order that also . too bad i think my parts were coming in tomorrow
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #1266
Stinger9

We advise replacing all parts in these systems at the same time. We learn from experience but new owners think one piece at a time is smarter.
Do the job once and do it right. Then don't worry for another 75K miles.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #1267
prisonerofdoom83

yeah now ill have to wait a couple more days . more time to party this weekend =]
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #1268
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Got around to changing my cooling system today, just to learn that all the hoses and expansion tank were from 2010 and have under 30k miles on them

But I actually need a radiator, that's where the slow leak came from... Oh well, can't hurt to have backups I suppose

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #1269
prisonerofdoom83

took about 2 hours to put everything back together last night (about 1.5 hours to dismantle) went pretty smooth . drove it around today for about 50 miles in 100+ weather all seems well . big thanks to Mango and Stinger for your help . im at 185k i will set 250k for the next one . thanks again
Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #1270
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
We advise replacing all parts in these systems at the same time. We learn from experience but new owners think one piece at a time is smarter.
Do the job once and do it right. Then don't worry for another 75K miles.
Can you share your data with us? I think folks here make bold statements to influence the new folks. I would like to see how replacing a part compares to replacing the whole system.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #1271
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Can you share your data with us? I think folks here make bold statements to influence the new folks. I would like to see how replacing a part compares to replacing the whole system.
In our developed country, where labor rates by the hour can easily hit $100, it is obvious that replacing the system at once can be cheaper both in dollars and in downtime than an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Tough lesson to learn and potentially very costly.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #1272
dirtypinguin

My Ride: 330i ZHP Sedan
Hey Mango, the bit about bleeding the system, do you first drain the old coolant from the block and radiator, plug the engine block drain, and start the bleeding procedure?
dirtypinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #1273
Stinger9

Drinking too much?

Poor guy worked for weeks getting every last fact and step precisely worded so there could be no mistake or misinterpretation, and you ask him to repeat and rephrase?
Please go back and reread the original instructions so you don't break the man's heart.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1274
325xi1luv

My Ride: 325xi

Quick question a while back my EXpack burst so I bought a new one a thermostat and belt so after that it was fixed no more over heating good to go ! So last night I was at a car meet knowing my electric fan was inop I spaced out and let my car Idling (talking to a cute 25i driver lol) all of a sudden my bleeder screw blew out and it was a disaster anyway I replace it today top it off with some 50/50 and no more over heating...the issue is my coolant tank light keeps coming on BUT I'm sure I put enough in could there possibly be a piece of bleeder screw in the tank blocking the sensor...maybe I don't know I'm going to try bleeding it again or something it just confuses me because it goes away and them pops back on

325xi1luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #1275
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi1luv View Post
Quick question a while back my EXpack burst so I bought a new one a thermostat and belt so after that it was fixed no more over heating good to go ! So last night I was at a car meet knowing my electric fan was inop I spaced out and let my car Idling (talking to a cute 25i driver lol) all of a sudden my bleeder screw blew out and it was a disaster anyway I replace it today top it off with some 50/50 and no more over heating...the issue is my coolant tank light keeps coming on BUT I'm sure I put enough in could there possibly be a piece of bleeder screw in the tank blocking the sensor...maybe I don't know I'm going to try bleeding it again or something it just confuses me because it goes away and them pops back on

Positive your coolant level is correct? did you reuse your hoses when you replaced your expansion tank and thermostat? You should replace anything that hasn't been replaced. Weakest links will become weaker and just as this happened, you'll experience a:

-pop

-pop

-pop

They'll happen at different dates and will put you at high risk for permanent engine damage or dangerous situations while being stranded in a bad area at night.

Ensure your coolant level is fine when car is cold. If fine, then double check your sensor is plugged in. Pull it out and inspect - no coolant will leak out.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #1276
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Bought this UV dye light kit for $15 for troubleshooting my friend's mysterious M3 coolant loss. Found the leak after one day of driving. Going to drive a few more days and recheck. Pic speaks for itself:

UV Light Dye Kit

Then I got curious and went on Amazon and found an even bigger LED UV flashlight

EVEN BIGGER UV 51-LED flashlight

Apparently it's OK to leave this stuff in the oil and coolant. I really don't want to put it in my coolant if I don't have to. Tomorrow I'll check if BMW coolant naturally glows or has some kind of dye in it?

I read some engine oils come with UV dye in it already. That's interesting. Never thought to try this stuff out.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #1277
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Bought this UV dye light kit for $15 for troubleshooting my friend's mysterious M3 coolant loss. Found the leak after one day of driving. Going to drive a few more days and recheck. Pic speaks for itself:

UV Light Dye Kit

Then I got curious and went on Amazon and found an even bigger LED UV flashlight

EVEN BIGGER UV 51-LED flashlight

Apparently it's OK to leave this stuff in the oil and coolant. I really don't want to put it in my coolant if I don't have to. Tomorrow I'll check if BMW coolant naturally glows or has some kind of dye in it?

I read some engine oils come with UV dye in it already. That's interesting. Never thought to try this stuff out.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #1278
Stinger9

Cool stuff.

Why would you want dyed oil? You can see oil.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #1279
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Cool stuff.

Why would you want dyed oil? You can see oil.
Makes things easier to spot. It'd be nice to just inspect the engine bay with a light to spot the tiniest of problems with a quick pass of a UV light. I guess that's why they make oil with uv dye in it already.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7076439

The formulation also contains a fluorescent color that becomes visible under UV light this represents our signature of authenticity and quality, guaranteeing top performance.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #1280
Stinger9

I guess my point was you're going to detect oil in plenty of places where you'll do nothing about it. Oil gets everywhere on an engine.
And any meaningful leak where you'd want to replace the OFHG or VCG will be more than enough to not need UV.

But I do want one of those cool flashlights!
I've got a 100 LED light that looks the same, and got it for the same price, but it's visible spectrum.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump