E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 3.91 average.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #1541
sk8ersublime

My Ride: 2001 330Xi
Im about to get a 2001 330xi that is in excellent condition, however it just hit 90K. So obviously this cooling system is the biggest priority in my mind. Would the best way to make sure I get everything I need be by purchasing the Level 3 kit from ECS? I just want an easy purchase where I wont get into the repair and realize im missing something...

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ine/ES2228847/

would you guy advise against buying the aftermarket kit? I like OEM, but $500 more...obviously you get what you pay for, so just wondering your experiences.
sk8ersublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #1542
Lynchy

My Ride: 05 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8ersublime View Post
Im about to get a 2001 330xi that is in excellent condition, however it just hit 90K. So obviously this cooling system is the biggest priority in my mind. Would the best way to make sure I get everything I need be by purchasing the Level 3 kit from ECS? I just want an easy purchase where I wont get into the repair and realize im missing something...

would you guy advise against buying the aftermarket kit? I like OEM, but $500 more...obviously you get what you pay for, so just wondering your experiences.
I'd say good for it, it will be a good benifit and will give you piece of mind plus theres nothing wrong with pampering your car
Lynchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #1543
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Im about to get a 2001 330xi that is in excellent condition, however it just hit 90K. So obviously this cooling system is the biggest priority in my mind.
You might want to check the service history on the vehicle to see what has already been replaced.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #1544
sk8ersublime

My Ride: 2001 330Xi
* E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
You might want to check the service history on the vehicle to see what has already been replaced.
It's my grandpa's. He's 81 and called me a few weeks ago asking if I want to buy his car because "his sport car days are over". The alternator and voltage reg were just replaced a month or so ago, but nothing has been done to the cooling system. I've already got my excel sheet going for all the stuff to full proof once I buy it from him. I've looked around for the cooling kits and the Ecs kit looks to be the best deal and it comes with much more than say the tischer kit...the tischer kit would be nice though since I could just go pick up the parts since I live in MD.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
sk8ersublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #1545
Mrob

My Ride: '01 3-Pedal 330i
Quote:

The kits on ECS Tuning are great and even the kit with the aftermarket parts is pretty good. I prefer going with OEM so I have no doubt in my mind that the parts will not fail in a few months and for the peace of mind but that's totally up to you.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #1546
NameIce

My Ride: E46
hi, everyone. i'm newbie to the BMW e46. mine was manufacturer on 2003, and i having a problem here. so i wish i could get help from here. my ride need to add water to the radiator each time i drive it, the dashboards light of radiator was on, but the car temperature was in the middle. each time drive have to add nearly 1 litre of water. already go to my friend's workshop check that the tank and radiator wasnt leaking , upper and lower radiator hose was same hot, the o-ring at the radiator cap has change new one , but water still reduce each time i drive. then what the next i should do ?
NameIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #1547
BaliDawg

My Ride: 325Ci 530i 750iL
Selamat Datang, NameIce.

If you are losing a lot of coolant each time you drive and it is not leaking, there is only one place it is going, out the exhaust. Most likely you have a blown head gasket. Did your engine overheat? Check the tailpipe for coolant smell. Check oil for coolant contamination, and check coolant for oil contamination. Also, if your coolant becomes pressurized after only 30 seconds to one minute of running, it is pressure from a bad head gasket. Check these things and report back.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #1548
NameIce

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Selamat Datang, NameIce.

If you are losing a lot of coolant each time you drive and it is not leaking, there is only one place it is going, out the exhaust. Most likely you have a blown head gasket. Did your engine overheat? Check the tailpipe for coolant smell. Check oil for coolant contamination, and check coolant for oil contamination. Also, if your coolant becomes pressurized after only 30 seconds to one minute of running, it is pressure from a bad head gasket. Check these things and report back.
thanks ya... by the way, how much the cost for change new head gasket ?
NameIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #1549
jfp2999

My Ride: 325ci
the great mango

mango you are a popular man. my name is jeremiah Pacheco and I am from west texas. I respectfully would like to challenge your knowledge and discuss politely some issues I have. i respect you and hope we can have fun. question one do you own a bmw 3 series? if so what year model and is it automatic or standard? also how long have you had it and is this the only bmw you have owned or worked on?
jfp2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #1550
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2999 View Post
mango you are a popular man. my name is jeremiah Pacheco and I am from west texas. I respectfully would like to challenge your knowledge and discuss politely some issues I have. i respect you and hope we can have fun. question one do you own a bmw 3 series? if so what year model and is it automatic or standard? also how long have you had it and is this the only bmw you have owned or worked on?
Why the challenge? Mango freely shares his knowledge and experience in his own unique manner. This is an information sharing part of the forum for fanatics, to help us keep our cars running as designed.
If there is something he posts that you disagree with, just say so and say why. Please do not start a peeing contest here. Go to the Political talk part of this forum for that.

Cheers
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #1551
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2999 View Post

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #1552
02'topaz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
Hi All,

Sorry for this semi annoying post as I should know the answer to this after having read this thread...I'm currently at 115xxx kms (canada).

I called a local well known authorized bmw shop today to do this overhaul and the technician said he didn't at all feel "right" doing an overhaul on a car that has not exhibited any issues (no leaks or overheating). His suggestion is basically to wait for something to actually cause an issue and deal with it then. He of course recommended shutting the car off, etc at any indication that things were going ary. The cost is also quite steep ($1200 Canadian dollars with the parts and labor).

I've read through a substantial portion of this thread and basically understand that I'm essentially around the km point where I should be doing this. Does everyone agree? Or are there owners out there who believe this should be addressed when something does truly break (doesn't sound safe given some of the stories on here but not sure if the failures are always so dramatic and truly non-preventable once an issue comes up). ie are ppl facing major failures because leaks were ignored, higher temps were ignored etc.

Ideally I would just be able to do this on my own, and thus the cost would be significantly lower and the decision would be easier, but don't want to screw anything up. What's the best DIY out there for this? Just want to feel more comfortable before tackling it...

Thanks so much.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #1553
02'topaz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
Hi All,

Sorry for this semi annoying post as I should know the answer to this after having read this thread...I'm currently at 115xxx kms (canada).

I called a local well known authorized bmw shop today to do this overhaul and the technician said he didn't at all feel "right" doing an overhaul on a car that has not exhibited any issues (no leaks or overheating). His suggestion is basically to wait for something to actually cause an issue and deal with it then. He of course recommended shutting the car off, etc at any indication that things were going ary. The cost is also quite steep ($1200 Canadian dollars with the parts and labor).

I've read through a substantial portion of this thread and basically understand that I'm essentially around the km point where I should be doing this. Does everyone agree? Or are there owners out there who believe this should be addressed when something does truly break (doesn't sound safe given some of the stories on here but not sure if the failures are always so dramatic and truly non-preventable once an issue comes up). ie are ppl facing major failures because leaks were ignored, higher temps were ignored etc.

Ideally I would just be able to do this on my own, and thus the cost would be significantly lower and the decision would be easier, but don't want to screw anything up. What's the best DIY out there for this? Just want to feel more comfortable before tackling it...

Thanks so much.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #1554
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Look up the individual DIY's for each of the cooling system parts. It's about a 6 on a scale of 10 to do the whole job.
Look on this forum and youtube.
You have to make up your own mind as to whether or not to PM all of this.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #1555
BaliDawg

I would highly recommend either doing this yourself, or having it done, especially given the high miles. If your tech "doesn't feel right" doing a cooling system overhaul on a high mileage E46, he has no business working on your car. Find a highly experienced BMW mechanic that knows these cars well. Replacing all the parts at once is so much faster and easier and should cost a lot less than changing them in groups (belts/pulleys, hoses, rad/fan/tank/sensors). My engine got destroyed because of a coolant expansion tank failure that was both quick and final. Don't take any chances, listen to the great Mango.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 11-03-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #1556
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
My engine got destroyed because of a coolant expansion tank failure that was both quick and final. Don't take any chances, listen to the great Mango.
It didn't take anything as drastic as this story to convince me. Long ago I just replaced everything in the cooling system, including the radiator.
What is amazing to me is that anyone can hear this testimony and want to ride out an old system until it fails.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #1557
futureSubie

My Ride: ZHP
For auto tranny, do I need any o-rings for the tranny cooler lines? What about o-rings for the heater hose?
futureSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #1558
Stinger9

You do already know you'll need to replace the tranny fluid thermostat?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #1559
BaliDawg

Trans cooler lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW_ZHP View Post
For auto tranny, do I need any o-rings for the tranny cooler lines? What about o-rings for the heater hose?
You won't need to disconnect the tranny cooler lines. The little trans cooler easily disconnects on the coolant side.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #1560
evo7

My Ride: 330i
edit

Last edited by evo7; 11-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.
evo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump