E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 3.91 average.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #1681
jackboltz

My Ride: E46
Hello, new guy here. Have been using the forums offline for about 3 years now. I just wanted to put my $.02 in about the composite impeller on the water pump. I ordered one from ebay this past August, and within a week or two it completely broke off the shaft causing a quick overheat. This all started with a hairline crack on my radiator by the expansion tank. So, i did what was suggested on here and purchased a new rad, exp. tank, upper/lower hoses w/ sensor, thermostat, and water pump. I had been messing with bleeding it for so long i gave up on it for about a couple months till yesterday. I decided to drain it and start inspecting everything, but luckily as soon as i pulled the pump, i found the problem. I'm waiting on my new pump with metal impeller to arrive. Hoping all will be good from there, as i think i'm an expert on bleeding it now! Lol.
jackboltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #1682
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackboltz View Post
Hello, new guy here. Have been using the forums offline for about 3 years now. I just wanted to put my $.02 in about the composite impeller on the water pump. I ordered one from ebay this past August, and within a week or two it completely broke off the shaft causing a quick overheat. This all started with a hairline crack on my radiator by the expansion tank. So, i did what was suggested on here and purchased a new rad, exp. tank, upper/lower hoses w/ sensor, thermostat, and water pump. I had been messing with bleeding it for so long i gave up on it for about a couple months till yesterday. I decided to drain it and start inspecting everything, but luckily as soon as i pulled the pump, i found the problem. I'm waiting on my new pump with metal impeller to arrive. Hoping all will be good from there, as i think i'm an expert on bleeding it now! Lol.
Was it an OEM or BMW pump?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #1683
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
My money is on the idler pulley. I would replace the a/c idler too but that's just me I guess.
I'll just do both those and get an aluminum power steering pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
From what I've read, those hard pipes are pretty difficult to get to. I think I've only read of one person having a hard pipe failure here in the past year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Very difficult. Those hoses would also significantly drive up the cost of the job and the maintenance would be a lot less appealing and affordable. The thread would then have much less of an effect. The goal is to get people to maintain their cars. It's great to replace those parts but they often last well beyond 200k. I've spelled this out before in this very thread.
Thank you for the quick replies. I think I'm done asking questions. I already ordered/have the thermostat, expansion tank and radiator. I'll also be doing that "fan delete" mod, user delmarco suggested.

In addition to the parts listed on page 1, I'm also replacing the following: expansion tank hose, return hose (both looked in bad shape), oil pressure switch, temperature sensor & heater control valve. I think that's it from what I've researched on.

Finally, one of the p.s. hoses was leaking. It was loose on the reservoir, sooooo I can add a p.s. refresh to my project.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #1684
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Hello, new guy here. Have been using the forums offline for about 3 years now. I ordered one from ebay this past August, and within a week or two it completely broke off the shaft causing a quick overheat. i think i'm an expert on bleeding it now! Lol.
If you were hanging here for a long time you'd know not to ever order off brand stuff from eBay. It's invariably Cheap Chinese Crap that will fail.
For virtually every part you order for these cars it is important to get name brand oe or oem parts.
If you're doing your own DIY you save so much on labor that this is not the place to save on material costs.
Heck, parts are so way cheap enough with all the online vendors that cater just to us.
www.furiousmethod.com

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-31-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #1685
jackboltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Was it an OEM or BMW pump?
No, it was not OEM or BMW, so that would explain the premature failure, very premature! Probably made in China...

My fault for not purchasing an OEM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #1686
Zardoz33

Quote:
No, it was not OEM or BMW, so that would explain the premature failure, very premature! Probably made in China...

My fault for not purchasing an OEM.
I made a couple recent mistakes of buying cheap parts as well. Luckily, I returned everything before installing. Just listen to the seasoned E46 vets on here.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #1687
jackboltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
If you were hanging here for a long time you'd know not to every order off brand stuff from eBay. It's invariably Cheap Chinese Crap that will fail.
For virtually every part you order for these cars it is important to get name brand oe or oem parts.
If you're doing your own DIY you save so much on labor that this is not the place to save on material costs.
Heck, parts are so way cheap enough with all the online vendors that cater just to us.
www.furiousmethod.com
You are definitely right! I do all my own work, at least all i "can do" without taking it to a shop. Thanks for the link!!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #1688
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Have a safe new years, kiddies. Drive safe and sober!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #1689
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Have a safe new years, kiddies. Drive safe and sober!
Same to you Mango. Best bet, stay home drink and be well.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #1690
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Happy New year !!! And my water pump is a Gates brand with phenolic impeller. . They aren't plastic.my original Bmw pump had a metal impeller and had just started to weep at 105k, but I was already replacing it and other parts.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #1691
Zardoz33

Happy New Year everyone.

My water pump is out. Doesn't even look like the right part # according to realoem (old = 11517503884, updated = 11517527910). Strange.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 01-01-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #1692
inferno nexus

My Ride: 2003 325i AT
I bought the $21 OEM water pump pulley (11-51-1-436-590-M58) from pelican parts and received a Febi pulley. Is Febi the OEM manufacturer for this pulley? I dont want to open up the box to look for the BMW logo or check if its aluminum or plastic. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
inferno nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #1693
Stinger9

I'd not be concerned. The only foul brand that I'd avoid here would be a URO non-metallic pulley. Cheap Chinese Crap alarm goes off on this one.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #1694
tattedsmitty34

My Ride: 328ci
Re: * E46 Cooling Guide (Information w/parts list/bleeding) *

I was changing my expansion tank and and found a problem. This seems to coonect to the bottom of the tank and connects to the lower hose. New tank didnt come it and I cant find it anywhere. Any help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1388689256750.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	540952  
tattedsmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #1695
Stinger9

There are two different types of radiators depending upon whether you have an auto or manual trans. Did you get the correct one?

I'd like to see a better pic about what you are referring to?

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-02-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #1696
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post
Happy New Year everyone.

My water pump is out. Doesn't even look like the right part # according to realoem (old = 11517503884, updated = 11517527910). Strange.
Material is PPS 40% glass fiber filled. Made in August 2002 (in cavity 1?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28...ene_sulfide%29

http://www.cpchem.com/bl/rytonpps/en...Impellers.aspx

Important to you people touting metal impellers: PPS yield strength (200 MPa), 6061 Aluminum (125 MPa)

That's not a full part number. It's likely a supplier part number for the subcomponent of the impeller. The impeller is made in Germany by INA, the OEM of our pulleys on the engine belt drive.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-02-2014 at 02:15 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #1697
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattedsmitty34 View Post
I was changing my expansion tank and and found a problem. This seems to coonect to the bottom of the tank and connects to the lower hose. New tank didnt come it and I cant find it anywhere. Any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
There are two different types of radiators depending upon whether you have an auto or manual trans. Did you get the correct one?
It looks like he may have broken that off the ET mounting bracket.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #1698
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattedsmitty34 View Post

looks like exp tank bracket broke

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #1699
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Material is PPS 40% glass fiber filled. Made in August 2002 (in cavity 1?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly%28...ene_sulfide%29

http://www.cpchem.com/bl/rytonpps/en...Impellers.aspx

That's not a full part number. It's likely a supplier part number for the subcomponent of the impeller. The impeller is made in Germany by INA, the OEM of our pulleys on the engine belt drive.
Thanks WD. I couldn't find the part # anywhere on the pump housing itself, so I just assumed the digits at the top were it.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #1700
WDE46

That is weird that there is no full number on the part, but it must be something special about cast metal parts. I don't know about that. I do know that every sensor my company makes has a full part number on it.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump